Customizing my start menu

I used to be able to customize my start menu by creating folders and clicking
on it, holding down shift and dropping the program into the newly created
folder, that doesn't work anymore. How do I make it so my start menu is
shorter and neater? Also how do I install programs into each users start
menu, I don't want some of their programs and they don't want mine. Thanks

The all programs list is derived from two different directories:
documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs and
documents and settings\*user name*\start menu\programs
Arrange folders and shortcuts as desired in those two directories to
customize the all programs list.

"flamefan" <flamefan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used to be able to customize my start menu by creating folders and
>clicking
> on it, holding down shift and dropping the program into the newly created
> folder, that doesn't work anymore. How do I make it so my start menu is
> shorter and neater? Also how do I install programs into each users start
> menu, I don't want some of their programs and they don't want mine. Thanks

A similar question: When I moved an icon from one of the "All Programs"
directories onto the desktop in one users account, XP deleted those icons
from the "All Programs" list in ALL the users accounts. However, whe I try
to move it back into "All Programs," it won't go back in the other users
accounts.

More generally, how can one user customize the "all programs" directories
and the desktop without changing things for other users.

Thanks

"Jason Haynes" wrote:

> The all programs list is derived from two different directories:
> documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs and
> documents and settings\*user name*\start menu\programs
> Arrange folders and shortcuts as desired in those two directories to
> customize the all programs list.
>
> "flamefan" <flamefan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I used to be able to customize my start menu by creating folders and
> >clicking
> > on it, holding down shift and dropping the program into the newly created
> > folder, that doesn't work anymore. How do I make it so my start menu is
> > shorter and neater? Also how do I install programs into each users start
> > menu, I don't want some of their programs and they don't want mine. Thanks

To customize each user's start menu and desktop, place shortcuts in each
individual user's directory as above for the start menu and in documents and
settings|*user name*|desktop for the desktop. Keep in mind that shortcuts in
the all users directory will also appear for individual users so move or
delete icons from there as desired.

"RickyPhD" <RickyPhD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A similar question: When I moved an icon from one of the "All Programs"
> directories onto the desktop in one users account, XP deleted those icons
> from the "All Programs" list in ALL the users accounts. However, whe I
> try
> to move it back into "All Programs," it won't go back in the other users
> accounts.
>
> More generally, how can one user customize the "all programs" directories
> and the desktop without changing things for other users.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Jason Haynes" wrote:
>
>> The all programs list is derived from two different directories:
>> documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs and
>> documents and settings\*user name*\start menu\programs
>> Arrange folders and shortcuts as desired in those two directories to
>> customize the all programs list.
>>
>> "flamefan" <flamefan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I used to be able to customize my start menu by creating folders and
>> >clicking
>> > on it, holding down shift and dropping the program into the newly
>> > created
>> > folder, that doesn't work anymore. How do I make it so my start menu is
>> > shorter and neater? Also how do I install programs into each users
>> > start
>> > menu, I don't want some of their programs and they don't want mine.
>> > Thanks

TRENDING THREADS