I5 2500k + Hyper 212 Plus Temperatures

kreek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Hello everyone! First I want to point out a couple of key facts:

All components are at stock settings.

Room Temperature: 75f-80f

Case: HAF 912 with default intake fan in the front, and outtake fan in the back. I have no additional case fans.

I just have the default Hyper 212+ fan, no pull/push combo.

Applied thermal paste by putting a small dot of paste in the middle of the CPU, and then put on the heatsink to let the heatsink itself do the spreading.

Ok so running Prime 95 on my i5 2500k with the Hyper 212 Plus, the temperatures go up to about 65c then drop down and hover at 60c. While playing BF3, my temperatures go up to about 58c (max) and hover around 55c. This was while playing 64 player online, the most taxing game/mode combo I have. Are these temperatures about normal?

If I got some fans for the pull/push combo, along with additional case fans, would that help the temps? Which fans do you recommend? Is it also possible to replace the current two case fans with upgraded ones? Should I get another of the same fan for the pull/push combo, or two new ones altogether?

Thanks!

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Well those temps are fine, in the sense that you don't have to worry about any forseeable damage, but they do seem kinda high for stock clock speed

If you overclock you'll definitely want to get a few more case fans, and maybe replace the stock ones with higher powered ones, and maybe reset your cooler with some higher end thermal paste if needed

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Yes, I have to agree that while they aren't dangerously high, they are a mite high for just running stock. I have the same processor and cooler, and mine at 4.5GHz will generate max. temp. of 68C. at 100% stress test load. You may not have a whole lot of headroom to overclock with your system as is; but don't worry, the 2500K is still a helluva chip at stock or overclocked a little bit. You could try bumping up the multi. a little bit at a time and closely monitor temps, maybe you will be able to reach higher clocks.

By the way - bearclaw99: I see you have the NH-U12P SE2; what temps are you getting with that overclock on your 2600K at different loads? I will be assembling another rig soon with that same cooler and processor, and I am curious if the more expensive air cooler performs noticeably better than the Hyper 212+/Evo.

InvalidError

Titan

The 212+ has small gaps between the heat pipes and aluminum block, you might not have put enough paste to fill all the gaps. You might want to take it off, fill the gaps put a new dot on the CPU and re-install.

kreek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Ok, I think I may try redoing the thermal paste and such after I get some case fans, to see how the temperatures change. Do you guys recommend any specific fans that would fit the HAF 912 case and the two fans for the push/pull setup? Thanks guys! I will also try it with arctic silver paste.

I would like to know something else however. If the temperatures are a little off, I can us 91% alcohol and lint free coffee filters to remove the paste right? It won't hurt the CPU?

If it is isopropyl alcohol it will be fine. Rubbing alcohol has oils in it and is not the best to use. Even a paper towel will work fine. I let it sit one or two minutes after I clean the CPU to let the alcohol evaporate then just blow some air on the CPU (sometimes manually) to remove any left over lint.

Im with the others I think you used just a tad to little thermal paste.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

Hmm..I haven't tested it in months but I think over extended Prime 95 loads I was getting a max of about 68-70 C, but that'll probably rise in the summer months. The disadvantage of the 2600K is you have more heat from hyperthreading to deal with, but that can always be disabled

I was kinda hoping it would be better, but I guess $55 off eBay wasn't too bad

Just ran it now for 1/2 hour out of curiosity. 4.6/HT on :66 C max at about 70 F room temp, which probably translates to 70-71 C max over a long haul

InvalidError

Titan

As long as there is adequate airflow around the 212+, a single fan is more than enough unless you are attempting to reach the max OC possible using the 212+. In my case, I can even remove the CPU fan and my CPU temperature will only climb from 50C to 60C or so, meaning I could passively cool my 212+ with case airflow alone if I wanted to.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
In all honesty, I have never really taken precautions when doing a lot of computer repairs and tampering.

I have opened my computer while it was still on moving cables, checking things, unplugging stuff... etc..

Obviously be careful with things but don't be a worry wart when it comes to these things.

I see you have the Cooler Master HAF-912. Do you have the fan that is in the back of the case?

If so what I would do is place your 212+ fan to the right opposite of that fan and have it pull from where the Drives are at and push it to the back of the case and have that small back fan pull that air out as well.

I had the CM 212+ and it was great. Your temps are fine. Move things around and see how it works. What I told you though would be your best bet for now so that you don't have to go out and buy more fans just yet.

If you don't want so many fans or want to quiet things down I'd suggest getting some Noctua fans. They are a lot more expensive anywhere from $20-25 USD for a single fan. But they are worth it, extremely quiet and effective.

kreek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Ok so I am moving the fan so that it pulls it through the Hyper 212 Plus, however I have a question. I took off the "attachers" or things that attach the fan to the hyper 212 plus, and switched them to the other side. However, the black sticky bar that was covering up each screw, is now not agreeing with me. Basically, without them, I can install the fan just fine as the little prongs click into place on the side of the heatsink. With them attached behind the screw, the fan won't click into place as they are completely in the way. I don't think I am installing them correctly or something. Are those little sticky black bars required?

Here is a picture of them: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2923

They are the little black rectangles.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
I know exactly what you mean.

I have this so and used two fans and the same thing happened to me.

I know for a fact it should have brought 4 extra little rubber pads.

There is a bit of space between the fan and heatsink. Don't worry about this. As long as the fan is in place and your aren't playing Frisbee with your computer it will be fine.

Mine came off of place a bit but I just shove them back in there. Don't be so anal about things like this. It's fine.

So take a picture of how it looks so we can see that bad boy.

dsc01466re.jpg

20120508210333.jpg

And this is what I meant for the push pull config with 1 fan. Look at image 4 of 9 with the actual tower. That is what I meant.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2923#