Cpu Reaching 65C on Load

Slayerofdragons911

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hi there, I just finished building a computer for my little brother and the cpu temperatures aren't very satisfying. On idle he's getting about 45C but on load it shoots up to 65C. The processor I chose was the AMD Phenom II X4 965 and my specs are below. I've noticed that on load the computer is pretty loud but my case cooling seems to be substantial because my gpu doesn't get hot at all. My question is, how would I significantly lower the temperature of the cpu? Would I need to buy an aftermarket heatsink, or should I reapply some new thermal paste? (When building the computer, I did have to move the heatsink around alot and this might have spread the paste too much and made it ineffective) Thanks for your help!

Here are my specs:
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
Sapphire Radeon 6850
Cooler Master Storm Scout
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
AMD Phenom II X4 965
8GB DDR3 RAM
*Not overclocking at all

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I'd reset the cooler and reapply paste, but buying an aftermarket heatsink instead is a better idea (even a cheap $30 Coolermaster), and yeah try to keep any side,up,down movements to an absolute minimum when setting

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Those pgms should be fairly accurate. Check, also, that the cooler's fan is running at the correct speed and not failing, dirty, or in a bind. You mentioned that the machine was unusually loud. That may indicate a cooling fan issue. Maybe a bearing.