Sign in with
Your question

Apple 27 Cinema Display with normal Windows 7 PC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2011 2:58:07 PM

Hello there,

I'm interested in buying the Apple 27" Cinema Display and use it with my normal Windows 7 PC.

Is this even possible? I read that there were issues with that like not being able to adjust the brightness of the screen through the windows display panel and other things.

How would it connect to my graphics card? I have Geforce 580GTX with DVI and mini HDMI out. As far as I know the Apple display connects with a mini display Port cable?

Thanks a lot for all answers. :) 
November 30, 2011 3:03:17 PM

I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display.... connected via DVI to my ATI Radeon 5770 to my Windows 7 PC.... works fine... not sure about the brightness thing. Also, I do not use the USB Hub... so not sure how that will work.. but I LOVE IT. awesome display capabilities...

If it does only connect with a mini-display port just buy an adapter...
November 30, 2011 3:05:40 PM

jdenova007 said:
I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display.... connected via DVI to my ATI Radeon 5770 to my Windows 7 PC.... works fine... not sure about the brightness thing. Also, I do not use the USB Hub... so not sure how that will work.. but I LOVE IT. awesome display capabilities...

If it does only connect with a mini-display port just buy an adapter...

So the display has a DVI port itself or do you use an adapter?
Related resources
November 30, 2011 3:13:50 PM

Mine has a DVI cable built into it... I use no adapter... just straight DVI from the monitor to the Graphics card...

The monitor has a power cable and a data cable... the data cable has Firwire, USB, DVI... BUT, I have an "older" model. The new ones may be different as you say... it shouldn't be hard to find out what kind of connections it has using google or product specs.

But if it does only have a mini-display port you could just use an adapter.
November 30, 2011 3:20:10 PM

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC007LL/A

this says it connects via Mini-display port.... so it really depends on the model(or more so the year it was built).... the newer ones look as if they are standard Mini-display port connections and nothing else.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3382

this should help you understand it better. you will probably need to purchase an adapter, just make sure you research a bit and buy the right one.
November 30, 2011 3:25:06 PM

http://lowendmac.com/ed/bashur/09db/dvi-to-mini-display...

this is actually saying you need a converter to use any new cinema display with anything but a Mac.... not cheap... ouch, glad I have an older one...

Be VERY cautious and do more research before you commit to this purchase, I am seeing more and more things that say it can't be done or requires "extra" devices.

Sorry I did not realize they changed so much. Good luck.

actually says that link is for the iMac... not the cinema display.... I am just confusing you(and myself) more and more.... I cannot help you any further.

Apologies.
November 30, 2011 3:52:31 PM

Thanks a lot for your help, I will go do some research now :) 
November 30, 2011 3:55:01 PM

Really sorry.... :( 
March 28, 2013 3:35:13 PM

I went out and had ( well I didn't HAVE to ) to buy a GTX 690, because it has a minidisplay port. : ) Monitor works great! Just wish winACD would work with 64 bit systems.
!