flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
http://channel.tomshardware.com/2007/06/21/300_dollar_pc_with_vista/index.html

You spent significantly more on one system then the other, AGAIN. Even though there were obvious choices for better components on the cheaper system, AGAIN.

Our choice was a Sempron 3400+, which has 256 kB L2 cache and runs at 1.8 GHz. For some reason, Semprons are more expensive in the United States than they are in Europe. Our particular model was priced at $70. We chose it because we did not want to spend $55 on the 1.6 GHz, 128 kB Sempron 2800+. In my opinion both choices are too expensive. An Athlon 64 3200+ at 2.0 GHz and 512 kB L2 cache would have been an even better choice, but the $80 clearly would have exceeded our price limits.

$10 more "clearly" exceeds the price limit?

Total Cost (AMD)$ 335 (Intel)$ 361

But an extra $26 for the intel system is just fin and dandy?!

You got flamed for this, repeatedly, the last time you did it. Some people never learn. You loose at testing. Grab a freaking clue. How many times does this need to be pointed out?

For $96 (the cost of the CPU you listed plus the difference between the two systems, so it's perfectly within your apparent budget) you could have equipped the AMD rig with up to an Athalon 64 X2 4200+. No rocket science necessary, just a pricegrabber search ($89 at newegg right now).
http://computers.pricegrabber.com/processors-retail-box/p/42/1/form_keyword=AM2/sortby=priceA

A 2.2ghz dual-core Windsor consistently out-performs a 3.2ghz Cedar Mill so why wouldn't any sane person with a $361 budget consider it?
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=469&model2=443&chart=188

Not to mention that you significantly exceeded your $300 budget, on both systems, AGAIN. Why don't you just call it a "$350" in the title???

Either compare two computers that are actually $300 builds OR take down your pathetic article, buy an AM2 x2 CPU, re-run the benchmarks, and re-post it as the "$360 PC showdown".

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
They could've got a combo with athlon 3800+, 2GB of 667mhz ram, am2 mobo with geforce 6100 for 150$. That will slash 50$ off their cheap budget.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
They could've got a combo with athlon 3800+, 2GB of 667mhz ram, am2 mobo with geforce 6100 for 150$. That will slash 50$ off their cheap budget.
Eh, gimmicks and sales are a bit outside the scope of this kind of article so I'm not going to make that much of a reach to bash pschmidt. Discussions of trying to take advantage of stuff like that are more appropriate to places like slickdeals.net. I personally rarely find it worth it to try and deal-hunt for an entire system.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I found it at NCIX.com. I think its a trusted site because i just bought 2x1gb Crucial 667mhz CL5 1.8v DDR2 memory for 29.99Each with free in store pickup. I'm a guy who has lucky and patients to wait for super deals to come. There's another example where newegg sale athlon 3800+ x2, mobo with geforce 6100+320GB hard drive for 150$ also.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Personally, I deal-hunt like most people here since it looks like everyone in the U.S. likes newegg or other online vendors that sell individual parts.

This article is about finding a deal-hunt for an entire system. It is definitely helpful for people compiling individual parts of a PC at an affordable rate thats not over $4,000 total.

rogerdandy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
You guys need to calm down it's just an article. If you really feel that passionate about 300$ machines you should find a new site.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I agree with the OP that there is no point in labeling the article a $300 build and then break the budget.
As well not including the cost of the OS the title should be:"Build a $300 PC and Run Vista On It.......Illegally".
I can understand omitting the cost of input/output but how many people have an old retail copy of Vista kicking around. I realize the focus is on hardware that can run Vista but the cost of the OS is a big chunk of a low cost build. Factoring in the cost of the OS puts companies like Dell and HP in a better light on low cost builds.

No. This site suits me fine. The article is biased and poorly executed. It is mislabeled, and the rules were not followed.

-1!

I could have written and put together two machines together, but I dont have the time.

I still recomend that people buy brand name if they need something that cheap.

Aka

$250 will get you a brand new gateway/emachines/dell/ w/e with decent specs and a good warranty.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I have to totally agree with Flasher.

The problem is that the systems are unbalanced and aren't $300 or below. It's NEVER a good thing when a media publisher misleads their readers. They said it was a $300 computer, neither of them are. You don't build credibility by misleading people.

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
The problem isn't the $300 specifically, its that the presentation is dishonest. It would be the same thing if they came out with a $1000 PC build-off, and the AMD system cost $1100 and the Intel system cost $1200 - clearly outside the bounds of the article, and an unfair comparison, seeing as how the *entire point* of the article is to compare performance based on equal cost. If the costs aren't equal, then the comparison is moot.

Where is the price of these components determined? Does THG actually purchase them, or is it based on average sale prices?

I assume he "purchased" them from one retailer, no shopping done what soever.

But you are right. Summery of article: You can buy a $300 PC for $360 that will out perform a $300 PC costing only $340.

Did i just rewrite his entire article? I think I did.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Personally, I deal-hunt like most people here since it looks like everyone in the U.S. likes newegg or other online vendors that sell individual parts.

This article is about finding a deal-hunt for an entire system. It is definitely helpful for people compiling individual parts of a PC at an affordable rate thats not over $4,000 total.

It is so not a deal-hunting article. It doesn't talk about deal hunting at all... no mention of rebates, bundles, or sales. Which is why I didn't challenge his prices that much, just the price disparity. Just because you're buying components individually and maybe running a query by a price searching engine does not equate to "deal hunting". I believe the previous "$300 'puter" even clearly stated that they named prices that you could simply go out and just buy the items for. Listing prices for rebates and special deals that expire within days isn't very useful for a benchmarking article.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I think you may have.

I was honestly very excited when I saw the headline. I knew the last article got the crap flamed out of it but I didn't think he would make the same mistakes again. It's a really great concept for an article and relatively cheap since it's for low-cost systems and I really wanted to see the results. To be fair it's not the easiest thing to execute and it could probably still get nit-picked quite a bit even in the best case scenario but to make the same horrible blunders TWICE after having all of them plainly pointed out the first time is... pathetic. I've seen him take criticism before and bounce back with greatly improved follow-up articles... I dunno why he dropped the ball on this one. :/

Well If I were a paid Tom's hardware writer, I would have:

1: Purchased a control (i.e. a brand name computer).
2.) purchased 2 competing systems and stayed IN BUDGET.

Now: Here is a big difference in the way I would have handled it.

Since we are trying to build a BUDGET PC... You would assume that the builders are going to go out of their way to GET GREAT REBATES.

CPU/Mobo deals, FAIR GAME. HDD Rebates, FAIR GAME.
Granted, they will not be equal in price, but components rarely are. AND THE POINT IS BUILDING A BUDGET PC!

Here is a quick put together for AMD system.
Mem: PC4200 1GB: $34
Mobo: PCCHips 6150+ Video: $50
CPU: AM2 3400: $40
Case/PSU: $40
HDD: Sata 160gb: $40
DVDRW: $30
VISTA:$85
----------------------------------
$320 Total.

It is over, but I just spend only $10 minutes. That is with no deals! I used Pricewatch and new egg except for the case.

HERE IS A NEW COMPUTER FOR $250 (WITH MS VISTA)

HERE

The problem is, its not a nice find.
Every week you can pick up a computer like that for that price. At my shop, we dont sell computers but we advertise various levels of computers, such as this.

And EVERY WEEK, there is a computer in this price range, some times considerably better.

I do recomend upgrading the ram for $50 bucks, which makes it $300 with 1.5 gigs of ram.

NICE.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Well, In canada, i couldn't find any new computer of any brand/spec below 350$. I cheapest computer like the one stated above is 350$Canadian dollars not including tax and this is Christmas boxing day price.
If i lived close to you, i would have gone to your shop every week.

Thats BS Jacklou.

"Im in Canada and that price isn't fair".

Ya well, How you think something like this can be made fair for everyone around the world? You think you can get computer parts that cheep in the middle east? How about in China were things seem to be cheaper, though of questionable origin.

The best anyone can do is create an article with prices based in (the best country in the world, the USA [JOKING]) the location of the most readers, which is the USA.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Can you tell me a retailer or small store in greater vancouver BC where they have cheap computers like this? I know a lot of people who bought the same kind of machines for 400$.

CompUSA is not a small store.
Most small stores in the USA do not sell cheap computers as it isn't worth the money (no profit).

I would suggest you drive into Washington state and buy your stuff there.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I' don't even read those crap articles any more! Pathetic ! Compare an crippled AMD system without proper graphics with an more expensive Intel system with a better graphics accelerator ... and the cherry on top... all this under Vista.

That's so clearly unbiased! wow!
I even doubt that the systems were setup right now.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I wish there wouldn't be any tax in my Country. 14% is a lot $ to pay just for taxes + i have to pay recycling fee 50$ for monitor and other stuff. So if the base price of a computer is 200$, then i'll have to pay 260$ for the whole system. The only good thing in my province is cheap electricity (5c/kilowatt hours), environment friendly ( all hydroelectricity) and great health care system resulting from 14% tax and mandatory health insurance.

Bungsta

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I agree, this is another pro intel article by this guy, he spends extra money on the intel system again, and could have evened the costs out by upgrading the amd processor. I just checked newegg and they have the x2 3600 for 70 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103733 , but to be fair that may not have been that price when he started the article. However, I know he could have gotten a better amd cpu and matched the price of the intel system. I think he has a Celeron fetish or something, he's out to prove to the world that by spending more money on a Celeron rig you can outperform a cheaper Sempron rig... WOW, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!??!?