Windows 7 internet connection problems

kvaugh75

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Hello,
Ever since I installed Windows 7 on my Dell 1330 laptop I've had problems staying connected to the internet. I have a D-Link Air Plus Extreme G router. After 6 hours of internet surfing let's say, all of a sudden it disconnects with an error message about not being able to connect to DNS server or something like that, even though my computer says I'm still connected to the internet. After calling Comcast they determined it wasn't my modem but by my router, and every time this happens I now have to disconnect and reconnect my router. Restarting or rebooting my laptop does nothing. Is there a compatibility issue with Windows 7 and my router?

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hi,

There are many network related settings on Windows 7 and if even one of them has been configured incorrectly, issues would come up with connecting the system to Internet.

All Windows 7 users facing issues when connecting to Internet are advised to check the network settings such as access points to ensure that they are configured properly.

If users had made some changes to some network related settings and the problem seems to have come up after that, changing all of the values to default ones would resolve the issue and get system connected.

Get more information to fix Internet Connection Issues in windows 7 :

http://supportformicrosoft.iyogi.com/windows-7/windows-7-connect-to-internet.html

Hope this helps you.

hebridene

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
I've had this same problem drive me nuts for 4 weeks, but looks like - touch wood - I've found the answer. Download the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software from the Intel website. I installed the latest one (March 2014) and it seems to have fixed the problem. At least I've been online for 1 hour and had no problems, whereas before I was being disconnected from the net every 10 mins or so. Hope this helps someone out there!
Steve