HP Windows 7 - Sata HDD - disk read error

RobinD

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hello everyone, as you can see from the name of the thread, the problem is that the system doesn't recognize the Sata HDD on which Windows 7 is installed. I first thought the the HDD was done, because the system recovery couldn't be started and every action was followed with "disk read error". The next step I took was booting with Ubuntu live and there was the surprise, Ubuntu recognized the HDD and all the folders were there, so it seems the problem is not with the HDD but with the OS. What next step should I take?

Thanks in advance.

Conf. :

HP Presario CQ62
Windows 7 Home Edition
AMD Dual Core 2.2 Ghz
3 GB RAM
Seagate Sata 320 GB

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
ive done the same thing, i had a disk with issues that fdisk and chkdsk couldnt fix, so i used ubuntu to transfer files, but, i have to reinstall windows and then transfer back. probably bad sectors though.

RobinD

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Yes, I've been thinking about transferring the files with Ubuntu and then installing Windows from scratch with a setup CD. Does anyone know another way?

lepraconmcpot

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
So I have the same laptop and I wanted to uninstall Windows 7 and downgrade to XP-32 bit, but because of the IDE/SATA difference I'm unable to because XP won't recognize that there is a hard drive. I've tried a few different driver files with nLite, but none of them worked. Any help?