Upgraded PC, same or less perfomance...

Spark_Qc

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I upgraded my home PC and after bench marking and running games such as Skyrim or Crysis 2 I'm noticing no gain at all and even less performance in Skyrim. :(

Report of bench marking with 3DMark06 tells me that my score is low comparing to other similar system (My score 15000) on default 3DMark configuration.

System is running on a fresh Windows 7 PRO 64x

Here's the upgrades;

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6320 -> Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard: Asus P5K -> Asus P5QL-PRO
Memory: 2GB OCZ RAM DDR800 -> 8GB XMS2 DDR1066
Video Card: BFG Geforce GTX260oc -> Zotac GTX570

The Asus P5QL had the 1001 BIOS, I upgraded to the latest 1004.
I tried both Nvidia graphic driver 290.53 (beta) and 285.62 WHQL

Do you think I need more power from my 500watt dual rail power supply?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda of disappointing of the performance as I should see a difference between the old and new system.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure why your still using 3dmark06, you know this is 2012 right?

You can't compare your score to someone elses, they are probably heavily overclocking the cpu and gpu to get a high score. You should be comparing your old score to your new score.

What was the old score? What is the new score?

What power supply?

You haven't really told us anything to be able to answer your question.

I hope you didn't spend a lot on that new setup, it's still obsolete and you could have picked up a modern cpu, mobo, and ram for around $200-250.

Spark_Qc

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Thanks for informing me that it's 2012 :)

My old score was 13900, now 15000.
Power supply was indicated in the first post "500watt dual rail" model Earthwatts from Antec
all four parts cost me 150$

I don't know what to tell more, thats why i'm here asking questions. :sol:

Here I found some scores with 3DMark11 with similar gear i'm using, i'll try it out tonight and post the results here.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
The recommended PSU for GTX570 is 550W you have 500W This might suggest that it is under powered. You should see significantly more horse power with 570. It compares to 260 in SLI.
So Perhaps upgrade your PSU to at least 850W just in case you will do SLI in the future.

Best of lack

"500w dual rail" does NOT indicate what power supply you have.

You could have a generic 500w dual rail power supply made by some Korean company that's only 70% efficient and only put's out a real 300w

OR

You could have a 500w dual rail power supply made Seasonic that's 90% efficient and put's out 510w.

Big difference and the reason I asked. Obviously your system is being stressed by your underpowered psu. By the way the best psu's have a single rail, not dual rails.

The things that were tested by 3Dmark 06, will not be the newer technologies invented in the previous 6 years

Spark_Qc

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Here's my score with 3DMark11 - http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2657708

I'll try it again this week with a bigger power supply than the 500w Earthwatts I currently have.

In the meantime is there an application that tells if there's not enough power for all hardware?

I noticed with OCCT the option to benchmark the PSU, but it doesn't tell me much... :??:

Spark_Qc

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
You're right but I'll be able to compare shortly with a similar system I had, my old board and video card, the only difference will be the dual core E6600 and 4 GB RAM instead of the E6320 and 3 GB I had before.
I'll post here as soon as I can.

Meanwhile I'll try my new PSU and see if it makes any difference with 3DMark11.

Spark_Qc

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Alright so I tested it with a 750 Watt PSU and scored twice the same result than before, so replacing the PSU didn't change anything. :heink:

An EA-500 would probably be OK, or an EA 500D... but is that what you have? I seem to recall some older Earthwatts that were not that good, but I could be wrong.

And again, a cheap Raidmax 750W is probably worse than the Antec.

Not that I think the PSU is your issue.

Have you checked your temps? Do you know for a fact that you are not throttling back due to overheating?

Did you install a fresh OS when you switched out the MB?

pdxgfx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
A few things not mentioned above but it's worth mentioning:

Are you sure all your drivers are current? A base install of win 7 doesn't necessarily do that.

Do you have things like drive indexing on in Windows 7 (that can affect things from time to time).

Check for BIOS upgrades on the ASUS website. Sometimes they need an update before processors are properly utilized. While in the BIOS, check on your RAM timings and voltage.

I think that's all I can come up with.

-PDX