Onboard Sound vs Sound Card

korky

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hi,

i just wanted to get a few opinions of whether i need a sound card in my system or if the onboard sound on my motherboard would be enough.

Ill be using the Astro A40 Audio System, and i wanted to get the best audio quality out of it (mainly for gaming, but music too). The motherboard ill be getting is either the Asus Sabertooth Z77 or the Asus P8Z77 Pro, they both have the same onboard audio codec which is Realtek ALC 892 - 8 Audio Channel HD Audio.

Now i know i will still get great sound from the motherboard, but would i notice any difference if i opt for a sound card, like the xenon xense?

ps. im pretty set on getting one of those two motherboards (for ivy bridge) and i will be overclocking them, but if you really think im making a mistake then please feel free to add your opinion!

(oh and ill be using SLI evga gtx 680s, and the only reason im leaning slightly more toward the sabertooth is because it has better heat transfer, although the pro does have more phase connectors so possibly better OC??)
Thanks!

korky

Honorable
May 10, 2012
anybody?

alot of people are saying in order to get surround sound from the A40 mixamp you need dolby digital live (for games anyway). but then i see alot of people that dont get sound cards, surely they wouldnt sacrifice their surround sound if they buy expensive headphones?