Sign in with
Your question

Is the Ivy Bridge IGP ram dependent?

Last response: in CPUs
May 14, 2012 8:14:23 AM

Does faster ram make the HD4000 faster? AMD llano IGP are very dependent on ram speed so they recommend a minimum of 1600mhz.
How about the Sandy bridge IGP HD3000?

And does the ram timings have any effects on the performance of an IGP or is it only the RAM frequency that affects the speed of the IGP?
a c 471 à CPUs
May 14, 2012 8:43:26 AM

I recall from reviews of the Intel HD 3000 graphic core that RAM speed has very little effect on it's performance. I have not read any reviews which covers RAM speed for the HD 4000, but I would guess that there will not be much difference.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2012 12:32:37 PM

AFAIK, the same basic concept applies to both.

The RAM on a video card these days is GDDR5 and that is used for necessary video tasks.

There is no GDDR5 RAM built into the processor chip, if you are using processor graphics then the regular RAM has to substitute for the GDDR5 that would be on the video card.

The faster the regular RAM speed, the less difference there is between regular RAM and the RAM that is present on video cards.

I don't see what Intel could do to fix this problem in an architectural sense. The only reason I would think that Intel chips might not experience much difference in performance is if they just suck too much for it to matter.

In that regard, the HD4000 is supposedly 58% or whatever higher performance over HD3000 so if anything I would think the problem would get worse in comparison.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2012 12:52:19 PM

It helps in most tasks but for most people won't notice the difference. IB gpu is still very weak and faster ram won't change that. The gpu is just too slow for the extra bandwidth to make a noticeable improvement.

As for AMD apus it does make a huge difference but that is mainly due to amd's weaker memory controllers while their gpus are much more better performers.
m
l
May 14, 2012 1:10:09 PM

IB graphics are still very weak compared to a proper discrete card, but for many, especially casual gamers it offers quite satisfactory performance. It will run many very popular games just fine, especially at medium settings.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2012 2:29:31 PM

willzzz said:
IB graphics are still very weak compared to a proper discrete card, but for many, especially casual gamers it offers quite satisfactory performance. It will run many very popular games just fine, especially at medium settings.

I played yesterday Portal 2 with a Sandy-bridge IGP (HD3000) and played it in medium graphics. Wasn't that bad. HD4000 shall enable a better fluid experienced and a little better graphics. For a notebook is good. Sadly can't say the same for desktops.

As per notebookcheck website. HD4000 (one of the IB iGPUs) have a similar performance as HD Radeon 6450 GDDR5
As reference: HD 6450 Review Link
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2012 3:24:57 PM

HD3000/4000 in some instances will allow a user to get away with IGP performance but in most instances a HD6450 will play more titles albeit poorly where HD would not. No serious user will want to rely on Intel IGP, it is a area which is not even debatable such is how far behind they are.

To me, if you can afford a intel chip, you should be able to afford a discrete graphics card of decent quality, if not then you are on the wrong setup or should save up a little longer to afford a discrete card.
m
l
May 14, 2012 4:07:59 PM

It depends entirely on what you use your PC for, most people aren't hardcore gamers. If Portal 2 is playable on SB then it must be on IB, Anandtech showed a 39% improvement.

Myself I mainly play Starcraft and shortly Diablo, both of which run perfectly well on IGP. If I was a BF3 nut my priorities would be different.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2012 4:17:50 PM

Fair enough, but that 39% is still barely capable of challenging lower end Nvidia or AMD discrete cards, while the competitors products are boardering on integrated 7770 level GPU's, the gulf is far.

Fair enough, Star Craft is compatible with HD, but with Eyecandy to the extreme, the frame rates dip to unplayable levels. All in all it is dependant upon the end users needs, but HD is not even remotely close to being endorsed as gamer friendly.
m
l
!