Sign in with
Your question

Asus maximus iv extreme-z using integrated intel HD 3000

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2011 5:26:49 PM

hey guys,

so the maximus extreme-z board can use the intel integrated graphics, but doesn't have a port to plug in your monitor? what am I missing here?

i have all components for a new build minus the GPUs which I was planning on picking up after Christmas, but thought in the mean time I could use intel video to set things up over Christmas. how does the power saving feature work auto switching from integrated to dedicated even without another port?!

any insight appreciated.

a c 153 U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 5:28:04 PM

Yeah, that's an enthusiast board. Asus assumes anyone using that board is going to use DEDICATED graphics, thus to save space on the board and money they remove the on board display port.

You need a dedicated card, dude.
November 30, 2011 5:42:36 PM

fair enough, but then my question is how does the power saving switching work? the intel graphics go through your powered down dedicated card?!
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 5:49:42 PM

The only thing I could think that you are talking about is Lucid Virtu, which yes goes through your graphics card display, but uses the CPU to accomplish intensive activities when the CPU would be more beneficial but the GPU would normally be used.

For power saving I mean, are you talking about the fact that CPU downlocks when nothing CPU intensive is happening? That has nothing to do with having a GPU or not though.....
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 6:06:49 PM

I'm using the board and I don't think any of this sh!t actually works... Tons of bios options for overclocking the intel graphics.

I use 580s and you can rely on the board for everything else... I'm an idiot though so I may not even know how to use the Lucid Virtu / Quicksync properly so your mileage may vary.
November 30, 2011 6:08:28 PM

yes I'm talking about Lucid Virtu and the ability to switch from dedicated graphics to integrated whenever the system isn't doing something visually demanding.

I would have thought you'd need 2 different display ports and a pair of cables from your monitor into both to use this feature.

any other board I've had with integrated video always had a display port right? and if you disabled your nVidia and enabled your onboard video you'd also need to physically switch to the appropriate display port on the back of your case. now the maximus doesn't have integrated video, the CPU does, so this is a little different.... but I still thought there would be a display port on the board for it.

thanks for your help my man. cheers

November 30, 2011 6:15:28 PM

I have the Asus ROG Maximus Gene Z, which is a mATX board, in my ATX case, and does everything the board your looking at, plus it has an HDMI port. The only thing is that its a smaller form factor, so there aren't as many expansion slots, but I don't need extra slots. And it only costs $179. It's a hell of a deal in my opinion. I keep an everyday clock of 4.2Ghz on i7-2500k and it is rock solid stable. The best board I've owned hands down. I'll never buy anything but ROG from now on.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 6:23:22 PM

sp3cw4r said:
yes I'm talking about Lucid Virtu and the ability to switch from dedicated graphics to integrated whenever the system isn't doing something visually demanding.

I would have thought you'd need 2 different display ports and a pair of cables from your monitor into both to use this feature.

any other board I've had with integrated video always had a display port right? and if you disabled your nVidia and enabled your onboard video you'd also need to physically switch to the appropriate display port on the back of your case. now the maximus doesn't have integrated video, the CPU does, so this is a little different.... but I still thought there would be a display port on the board for it.

thanks for your help my man. cheers

This is a different animal and I don't think it works at all like Asus planned. There's just finally a bios update after so many months but it appears to only add support for the upcoming cpus. The monitor will always be connected to the discrete card so it will always run at its default 2D mode (nvidia @ 405mhz) regardless. This lucid virtu is supposed to tap into the extra horsepower built into the cpu to speed up tasks like encoding video with media espresso. That's about it. The power savings idea comes from simply finishing a task faster as a means to being more efficient. Your discrete will never be disabled, and will always be running at its default 2D mode at the desktop, and its 3D mode when gaming. Lucid makes it appear like you can add more programs to its list, but in my testing, I'm convinced its just gimmick. I repeat though, I am an idiot so ymmv.
a c 153 U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 6:26:16 PM

Lucid Virtu DOES work, there are videos on how to get it working online. As well as benchmarks showing performance differences. With that said though, the difference between using it and not using it is negligible at best, and doesn't seem worth the hassle in this man's eyes.
a c 499 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b å Intel
November 30, 2011 6:34:40 PM

The Maximus IV Extreme-Z supports Lucid Virtu d-Mode where the discrete graphics card is considered the primary display adapter but also gives you access to the IGP's QuickSync transcoding feature.

That motherboard was never meant to have the IGP be used as the primary graphics adapter.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 6:42:37 PM

Helltech said:
Lucid Virtu DOES work, there are videos on how to get it working online. As well as benchmarks showing performance differences. With that said though, the difference between using it and not using it is negligible at best, and doesn't seem worth the hassle in this man's eyes.

Agreed, which is why I never investigated it beyond a little tinkering here and there ;) 
a c 153 U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 6:43:53 PM

clonazepam said:
Agreed, which is why I never investigated it beyond a little tinkering here and there ;) 

Don't, it's sooo not worth it. XD. That and its kinda buggy still. I guess that's because its immature in its life though.
!