Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Monitor will not work with new PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 30, 2011 5:35:22 PM

I have recently purchased a new XFX Radeon HD 6850 and a 650W 12V power supply to go with it. I have installed both correctly and the drivers for the GPU. I had to purchase a DVI to VGA converter because my monitor only has a VGA connector and my GPU only has DVI connectors but when I power on my PC I can hear it boot up but I get a "No signal" message on my monitor. This monitor (AOC FS22+) worked with my old GPU perfectly fine but doesn't seem to like my new one. I can plug my TV into my GPU via a HDMI cable but it isn't the most convenient setup. Any help to get this thing working?

More about : monitor work psu

November 30, 2011 5:46:31 PM

well, I'm fairly sure it has nothing to do with the PSU (title), but I would suspect that the GPU might be faulty.

Did you plug the DVI connector into the top DVI port?
November 30, 2011 5:48:11 PM

also... check and see if there is on board video and if so disable it... the feed so to speak may be going through onboard connection by default.... just a thought though it shouldn't matter in my experiences...
Related resources
November 30, 2011 5:49:52 PM

Hi, You should look at the info supplied with your card and check whether the card is using DVI-D (digital) or DVI-I (analog/digital) your monitor probably only supports DVI-I with that adapter...
November 30, 2011 5:51:00 PM

nordlead said:
well, I'm fairly sure it has nothing to do with the PSU (title), but I would suspect that the GPU might be faulty.

Did you plug the DVI connector into the top DVI port?


I plugged the adapter into both DVI ports to try it but neither seemed to work. It would really suck if the GPU was faulty since it is brand new. Since the GPU is managing to display to a TV does that not rule out it being a faulty GPU?
November 30, 2011 5:52:42 PM

slhpss said:
also... check and see if there is on board video and if so disable it... the feed so to speak may be going through onboard connection by default.... just a thought though it shouldn't matter in my experiences...


There is an onboard video card and I have looked through my BIOS but could not find any mention of disabling the onboard GPU. If it helps my motherboard is a BIOSTAR N68S3+ with American Megatrend BIOS.
November 30, 2011 5:57:54 PM

RBrNx said:
I plugged the adapter into both DVI ports to try it but neither seemed to work. It would really suck if the GPU was faulty since it is brand new. Since the GPU is managing to display to a TV does that not rule out it being a faulty GPU?


Well, HDMI is digital, and VGA is analog so the analog converter could be bad.

Also, I checked the pictures for the XFX (reference) card and based on the pin out, it should be DVI-I dual link. DVI-I means it has both digital and analog signal. The DVI-to-VGA adapters need the analog signal. You could look into the more detailed specifications (or contact XFX) to confirm that it isn't DVI-D only but with a DVI-I plug.
November 30, 2011 6:11:50 PM

funguseater said:
Hi, You should look at the info supplied with your card and check whether the card is using DVI-D (digital) or DVI-I (analog/digital) your monitor probably only supports DVI-I with that adapter...


I had a look around and found this: http://driver.xfxsupport.com/public/guide/XFX_HD6000_Co...
It is from the XFX website and it has images of different configurations your GPU can have. My GPU has the first image (the one with a display port, 2 DVI ports and a HDMI port). One of my ports can support VGA output but the monitor will still not work with the adapter plugged into this port.
November 30, 2011 6:13:30 PM

nordlead said:
Well, HDMI is digital, and VGA is analog so the analog converter could be bad.

Also, I checked the pictures for the XFX (reference) card and based on the pin out, it should be DVI-I dual link. DVI-I means it has both digital and analog signal. The DVI-to-VGA adapters need the analog signal. You could look into the more detailed specifications (or contact XFX) to confirm that it isn't DVI-D only but with a DVI-I plug.


I found the same XFX reference card that you did. I have tired using the adapter plugged into the DVI-I port but my monitor will still not work.
!