Should I upgrade processors?

I recently upgraded my whole entire system from an AMD Athlon X2 platform to an Intel Core 2 Duo series platform because my processor was bottlenecking a new video card I had bought (an XFX Radeon HD 4890)

However, I managed to obtain another Radeon HD 4890 for really, really cheap and now have them in Crossfire X mode in my system.

The performance is fine, it's near what I expected but I'm just wondering if I would gain any performance improvements from upgrading processors, especially from a dual core to a quad core?

System specs
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (E0 stepping) clocked @ 3.83GHz (1.25v)
Artic Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Motherboard
4GB G.Skill PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 RAM (5-5-5-15)
2x Radeon HD 4890 1024MB GDDR5 in Crossfire Mode (one is an OC edition, the other is a normal edition, balanced both to reasonable clocks)

Basically what I was thinking of doing was upgrading from an E8400 to a Q6600? Upgrade or downgrade? Otherwise can anyone recommend me a better processor (without changing motherboards) that will give me marginal performance improvements?

The reason I'm asking is because in Grand Theft Auto IV, performance almost didn't change, and I heard that using a quad-core processor helps it a lot.
4 answers Last reply
More about should upgrade processors
  1. ugh, why didin't you upgrade to Sandy Bridge?
  2. With that overclock you should be fine. No real value in putting more money into that rig.
  3. I totally agree with Dfusco, with the right tweaking your E-8400 should run just about anything you can throw @ it...

I'd save my money for the next great build..
    With Sandy Bridge or newer, SSD drive etc..

I have an E-8400, E-8600 & I7 860

hard to judge much difference by seat of the pants use..

4. Oh alright, and I didn't invest in a Sandy Bridge system, because I managed to get a good deal on all of these components, lets just say I got all of this at under $300, it's pretty good!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Performance Processors Systems