Sign in with
Your question
Closed

First Time Desktop Build

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2012 4:57:52 PM

Intro: I’m looking to replace my Dell XPS 720 desktop. I’ve been reading the forum for some time and decided to try my hand a building a new desktop myself. I have some ideas some parts and need help with others. Here goes and excuse my ‘newbee’ way of approaching this.

Approximate Purchase Date: TBD (need to see what is recommend before deciding)

Budget Range: 1500- 2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, MS Office (Access work), Games (Call of Duties series & Civilization series), internet

Parts Not Required: Speakers, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com or Tirgerdirect. Also open to suggestions.

Parts Preferences: Intel/Nvidia

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: SLI possible in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I like design and size of my XPS 720 case, but haven’t seen anything similar except a Dell XPS 730 case which is what I’ve listed. What I like about the case is the design in that is has no side window and a flat top with no air fans, and that it is a full tower. I’m open to an alternative case if someone knows of a similar design/size.

========================================================
Case: Dell XPS 730

PSU: 1000W (comes with the case)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge

MOBO: Need suggestion

GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

RAM: 8GB (need suggestion on vendor)

SSD: Need suggestion on size and vendor

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

BD/DVD/CD: 12x Blu-Ray writer (need suggestions)

Keyboard: Wired and Ultimate (need suggestions)

Cooling: Air Flow unless configuration/use suggest liquid cooling (need help deciding)

Thanks in advance for you time in helping me,

sms1295

More about : time desktop build

Best solution

January 30, 2012 5:02:33 PM

That case has limited airflow. I suggest the HAF 922 or 932 or the Corsair 600T or 650D. For the motherboard try the ASUS P8Z68 series. All of them are pretty good. For the SSD, go for the Crucial m4 or the Force GT, I like to have 120GB. For the keyboard try the K60 or K90 from Corsair. The K60 is for FPS and the 90 is for MMO. They are both high end + mechanical. FOr the CPU cooler, since you're not ocing, a CM Hyper 212 + will be fine. Also, since ur not OCing, get eh I7-2600, non-K.
February 3, 2012 12:07:15 AM

Best answer selected by sms1295.
Score
February 3, 2012 12:02:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!