CPU makers to go to war again in July

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
With CPU makers having finished a price war in April, the two fighters will cross blades again in July, according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report citing sources at Goldman Sachs. AMD plans to slash its CPU prices at the beginning of the month while Intel price cuts are set for the 22nd.

The sources pointed out, Intel's price cuts on July 22 will focus on high-end CPUs including its Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo series, while AMD will cover all its high-end and entry-level product lineups. Although AMD's July price cuts will not be as much as those in April, they will still range from 20-40%, said the paper.
© DIGITIMES Inc

Competition is a good thing, at least for consumers. :wink:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
With CPU makers having finished a price war in April, the two fighters will cross blades again in July, according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report citing sources at Goldman Sachs. AMD plans to slash its CPU prices at the beginning of the month while Intel price cuts are set for the 22nd.

The sources pointed out, Intel's price cuts on July 22 will focus on high-end CPUs including its Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo series, while AMD will cover all its high-end and entry-level product lineups. Although AMD's July price cuts will not be as much as those in April, they will still range from 20-40%, said the paper.
© DIGITIMES Inc

This is crazy. Intel just needs to accept AMDs presence and get back to tech and not price wars. They still have yet to release a better bus or I believe a PCIe 2 chipset.

Sure cheap processors are great but how cheap do they really need to be when everyone got something they could use before the C2D foolishness.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Sure cheap processors are great but how cheap do they really need to be when everyone got something they could use before the C2D foolishness.

What kind of argumentation is that? I don´t want cheaper processor because i could afford what they charged during the last year? That´s a very conservative and static stance against advancement.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

What kind of argumentation is that? I don´t want cheaper processor because i could afford what they charged during the last year? That´s a very conservative and static stance against advancement.

That's my opinion. Why make less money? The more you make the more you can put into R&D.

deadhead_matt

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007

Can't go anywhere in my house with out seeing one
Are you in to jam bands?( if so PM me)

So any one think thay will cut prices sooner then July 22 or just stay the course?

deadhead_matt

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Ok for me it is like this.

Lets say I have a $100.00 USD and AMD's chip at that price is better than Intel I get the AMD. If Intels chip is better at that price I get the Intel.

It is all about performance for me not names.

Just my 2 cents

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Thats the smart way to do it.Undying loyalty to manufacturers is stupid.

No it's not. I'll never buy any receiver but Onkyo and only Sony DVD players. Maybe there's an electronics forum where I can see fanboys for stereos. The word undying is a little harsh.

Plenty of people ( about 80%) bought HeatBurst. People get pissed at me for saying it but I think Intel skirts the line to much with price drops. They do control the market so they can't just drop the bottom out to hold the competition down but I guess my opinion as to why no one looks at it is correct.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
That's what I did.

I bought a (4) of x2 3800 CPUs to be part of geeky coasters for my coffee table.

I bought the C2Duo to do my computing.

:lol: To be fair though AMD X2 processors still have enough power to do any computing task, but I think it's going to get allot worse for AMD when Intel cut prices further even when AMD try to cut prices too.

Undying loyalty to manufacturers is stupid

Totally agree

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
So if you where going to buy a receiver tomorrow and a better quality one was available at a lower price you would walk past it to buy a Onkyo?
Doesn't sound like very smart shopping to me.

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006

© DIGITIMES Inc

This is crazy. Intel just needs to accept AMDs presence and get back to tech and not price wars. They still have yet to release a better bus or I believe a PCIe 2 chipset.

Seriously. But, if you look closely, Intel is already going back to being lazy(slowly but surely). The first sign: Intel's apparantly not needing to make a true quad-core chip. Intel will get screwed when AMD moves to 8-core, when AMD just puts 2 Barcelonas on a CPU. You can't put 4 dies on a chip.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
So if you where going to buy a receiver tomorrow and a better quality one was available at a lower price you would walk past it to buy a Onkyo?
Doesn't sound like very smart shopping to me.

Even if Panasonic, etc comes up with something comparable I would still buy the Onkyo. It's all about this being a free country. if I want to buy only AMD that's my choice.