BamBam

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2001
ok here's the question I'm getting ready to build a new PC for myself as my ever increasing attempts to teach myself about computers.... BUT the question I really want to ask is.... does SCSI really justtify it's cost? I've heard from quite a few people that with ATA100/UDMA66 (is that the same thing? I'm not 100% sure myself) that the speeds are almost comparable and don't justify the cost..... any enlightenment would be of most use thank you... and no I'm not a big power user (unless you count spending hideous amounts of personal time on games)... I've just been saving a lot of pennies for the past year and a half and I've got a fair chunk of cash to blow away on my new toy..... any adivce would be welcome

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It depends on the user to justify whether it is worth the cost. If you're not a big power user, you probably wouldn't find the extra performance noticeable.
Maybe look into a good CPU, lots of RAM, and a powerful graphics card along instead.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not much gain for hard drive performance, but a cheap SCSI card will do the job for a SCSI scanner and CDRW, which is a superior solution for those two things without a significant price penalty.

Suicide is painless...........

G

If you're dealing with:

1.) Large files, (like working with a 50 MB CorelDraw file)
2.) Lots of files (like wanting to open 100 images from your digital camera at once to sort, edit, modify, etc., or batch process lots of files at once, in my case, image files)
3.) Recording video (and maybe audio)
4.) Or things like running a server, database server, etc.

and other uses where you are using the hdd a lot, spending $200-$300 on a top-of-the-line Adaptec 160 SCSI card will be great. If you're not really using the hard drive much anyway, then IDE will be just fine - probably won't even notice the difference.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think current ide drives are good enough for audio and image editing (even for large files). but scsi remains a necessity for serious video editing.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Would save your money and go with IDE. Unless you have a lan at your house hosting online games etc. Than SCSI would be the way to go. Good mother board and lots of ram would do you fine. Good Luck...

:cool:

G

The Maxtor 7200 drive is "good enough" for large image editing, but the Cheetah and Atlas SCSI drives are noticeably "better".
Will you notice the difference? - yes. Will it make a difference to you? - maybe not. If you're on a budget, will a RAM upgrade or even adding a couple hundred mhz to the CPU speed be a better choice? - probably so. If you're a compulsive spender for computer stuff and want the absolute best though, SCSI rules...

--all your earl belong to us