myrlin7

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
So I am looking at the TRENDnet 500 Mbps Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit TPL-401E2K

My living room is on the 1st floor of a 2 story and the wireless from the upstairs office is not high enough for appropriate speeds for streaming. So instead of going through some crazy ethernet wiring options , this new Powerline seems like it might be an easy solution.

My questions are
1) Could the adapter plugged into the living room wall be then set into a switch of some sort in order to use multiple devices? (TV/PS3 specifically). What would I need to do that.
2) What would be the easiest way to test the speed of that plug (App?)
3) Anyone test these or seen a review against the Netgear models?

Thanks in advance!

1) Yes, you can normally patch a switch to these powerline adapters to support multiple wired devices.

2) NetCPS, Iperf, Qcheck, etc.

I don't know what kind of performance you'll get, but it won't be anywhere near 500mpbs, that's for sure. Even the more common 200mbps powerline adapters are lucky to get 10-12mbps in the real world, sometimes far less. Heck, sometimes they don't work AT ALL due to issues w/ the wiring in your particular situation. I would certainly *hope* these 500mbps powerline adapters were faster, but if I had to guess, I suspect you’d see real world figures in the 20-25mbps range under ideal conditions.

the other thing is how well will it work if you are using two different electric circuits.

If both circuits connect to the same phase, it might work. I believe that every third fuse connects to the same phase for load balancing across the three phases.

TRENDING THREADS