Sign in with
Your question

First Build Questions

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2012 11:34:13 PM

I'm building my first gaming computer and would like thoughts on components and expected obstacles when I start the build. Still waiting on the case and a couple other parts to arrive. I'm going to use this for WOW and would like to try Btlfd 3 and some other shooters.

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black RC-932-KWN3
Intel Core i7-2600K
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W W0172RU
Galaxy 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 Video Card
ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev-3.0 Intel LGA1155 P67 DDR3 6G/s SATA
Crucial M4SSd 128GB (Planning on adding an additional HD later)
16GB Corsair DDR3
Asus 12X Blu-Ray Writer
Windows 7 Home premium

I know this is kinda rag tag but I've had to shop around for awhile

Thanks for any advice!

More about : build questions

January 29, 2012 11:37:30 PM

well the i7 can be cut to same money if you want since it really doesn't offer anything more than the i5 in games. You can spend the saved money on a hard drive or a 7950 when they come out.
January 29, 2012 11:42:17 PM

Thermaltake psu....
Related resources
January 29, 2012 11:49:03 PM

Thermaltake psu suck? I got a good price but I haven't found any reviews on it.
January 29, 2012 11:52:01 PM

quitman6 said:
Thermaltake psu suck? I got a good price but I haven't found any reviews on it.

There are certain thermaltake psu's that just suck :/  I would have gotten a corsair, antec, seasonic, or xfx psu.
January 30, 2012 4:29:59 AM

Well first, you could've gotten a CM Storm Trooper that's unmatchable in the $100 to $200 price range (it's $150 bucks currently on newegg). The 932 is a dust magnet BTW.

I agree, you really should have gotten a better PSU instead of being cheap on it. I'm not saying that it's bad, just saying you could've gotten a better one.

Yeah the 2600K doesn't really make a difference on games. Should've saved money and gotten a 2500K.

Um, P67 in 2012? You really should've gotten a Z68 mobo since you have an SSD and the price between Z68 and P67 is nonexistent.

You really could've waited a bit longer and gotten Ivy Bridge (April) and a Keplar (predicted to come in summer)
January 30, 2012 10:50:41 AM

Not the best idea to ask for input into a build after you've pulled the trigger. ;) 

It'll be fine for gaming, but could have been optimised a bit. Some people prefer P67 mobos as the only real advantage is integrated CPU graphics (non-issue for a gaming system) and SSD caching (not everyone's cup of tea). Ivybridge isn't guaranteed to be out in April, and the only main improvement is the integrated GPU anyway...Sandy is still fine.

Are you doing any video or photo editing? Good build for that.
January 30, 2012 11:07:25 AM

The Toughpower 850W W0172RU is probably ok, its made by CWT... but it wouldn't have been my first (or second) choice.
January 30, 2012 2:52:17 PM

If you look up Sucky PSU in the dictionary you will find Rosewill. Had one take out a MOBO. Did a quick replacement with Thermaltake and its been fine. Get one that is at lease Bronze 80 rated and you wont go wrong.
January 30, 2012 5:44:26 PM

diellur said:
Not the best idea to ask for input into a build after you've pulled the trigger. ;) 

It'll be fine for gaming, but could have been optimised a bit. Some people prefer P67 mobos as the only real advantage is integrated CPU graphics (non-issue for a gaming system) and SSD caching (not everyone's cup of tea). Ivybridge isn't guaranteed to be out in April, and the only main improvement is the integrated GPU anyway...Sandy is still fine.

Are you doing any video or photo editing? Good build for that.

actually there is a technology available that helps blends the integrated graphics from the cpu with the discrete on some asus z68s, that said i agree that not everybody, me included, finds it necessary to have the z68 as the difference in the ssd caching is not terribly noticeable. it is noticeable, however it is not a major deal-breaker for most

as everyone has already said, the money from the i7 would have been best spent on a quality psu, or towards a better graphics card, it should do alright however
January 30, 2012 6:02:36 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
!