Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 560Ti & BF3 artifacting and tearing..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 30, 2011 8:16:44 PM

I know there are lots of posts about problems with artifacting and graphics issues with BF3 and the 500 series of cards, and the 560Ti's in particular.

I am suffering from the same problems and so far none of my troubleshooting has made things any better.

I most recently tried the 290.x beta drivers on Monday and that actually seemed to make things worse. I have tried upping my card voltage a bit with no luck, and also lowering my clocks down to the reference specs (I have the MSI GTX 560Ti OC, barely a month old). I have yet to prove if that worked because I have not played on the maps where the artifacting happens the most (Op Firestorm and Caspian Border).

Is anyone aware of sure solutions to this? Are AMD cards working fine in Battlefield 3 with no graphical problems?

It seems it should be a driver/game issue and not a problem with the cards, since so many people seem to have the same issues. However, after a BF3 patch and nvidia beta drivers that explicitly said they fixed artifacting issues in the game, I still have problems.

I am able to exchange the card for a new one of the same type, but I am not confident that will change anything. I am on the verge of buying an AMD card and exchanging the 560Ti and selling it.

Looking for any suggestions or input, thanks.
a b Î Nvidia
November 30, 2011 8:39:27 PM

Check the MSI website and see if there is a bios update for your card, the gigabyte ones had similar problems and the bios update appears to fix the problem.
Turn off AA and AO in the game video setting menu and see if it improves your performance and reduces any problems you might be having. Its only BF3 that appears to be doing this to a lot of gamers with similar problems , the game can be quite glitchy for some.
m
0
l
November 30, 2011 8:54:00 PM

if your have overclocked your card i would suggest that you take it back to the default speed...also check your cpu overclock....like i said, only applies if you are overclocking...if you are not overclocking then i would suggest that you remove and re-install the drivers
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 30, 2011 8:55:57 PM

Also to add to that some factory overclocked cards have also been a problem , some users have been reverting the overclock back to standard clocks and have resolved their problems , the game appears to have been rushed , has a lot of issues , in time patches and updates will keep coming to address the issues people are having.
m
0
l
November 30, 2011 9:55:50 PM

Yea the card is OC'd by the vendor by default. Like I said I did lower the clocks to the reference card settings, but I still need to test on maps that I know have problems.

My i5-2500k is OC'd to 4.2ghz as well, I will try lowering that to stock as another test.

An odd note, my friend has the exact same card but the 2gb version (mine is 1gb ram) and he has 0 problems. I wonder if the large maps/textures are just overloading the card and the 1gb versions cannot handle it and the 2gb versions can? Dunno, just a thought...

I will troubleshoot some more tonight and update if I notice any stability.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 30, 2011 10:00:23 PM

Yes the 1 GB vram would could issues like the ones you are having, exchanging it for a 2GB version would be a really good option for you right now.
m
0
l
November 30, 2011 11:53:13 PM

Run MSI Afterburner while playing and see if your VRAM is being eaten up. I bet it is so you may want to turn down some of the bells and whistles.
m
0
l
December 1, 2011 12:33:53 AM

justinco99 said:
Yea the card is OC'd by the vendor by default. Like I said I did lower the clocks to the reference card settings, but I still need to test on maps that I know have problems.

My i5-2500k is OC'd to 4.2ghz as well, I will try lowering that to stock as another test.

An odd note, my friend has the exact same card but the 2gb version (mine is 1gb ram) and he has 0 problems. I wonder if the large maps/textures are just overloading the card and the 1gb versions cannot handle it and the 2gb versions can? Dunno, just a thought...

I will troubleshoot some more tonight and update if I notice any stability.


I was wondering if the additional ram on the 560ti would help and so it seems. I am also a proud owner of a 560ti and have the same issues as you on firestorm and caspian border. I was talking with an EVGA tech support guy and he told me that the betas are helping with the graphical corruption. He didnt say it has fixed the issues. He did mention though a new bios for the card. The bios does increase the voltage. I have requested a copy of the new bios and the new voltage. Also, the game might run better if you are playing on high instead of ultra. I am not sure if you mentioned which setting you are using, but high should use less memory than ultra.
m
0
l
December 1, 2011 2:47:50 PM

I do run MSI Afterburner and have it print info on my G15 keyboard display while gaming. I played last night, CPU at default clock, and GPU and standard vendor OC clocks and Ultra settings. I reproduced the artifacting on Op' Firestorm map in BF3 and the VRAM usage was up at 980mb when I had problems.

I lowered the graphic settings in game to High and restarted the game. After that I had no artifacting the rest of the night. I forgot what my VRAM was running at so need to test again just for curiosity.

So, initial tests lead me to believe the 1gb of VRAM on my card is not capable of running the game cleanly at Ultra settings. Which is a bummer because I built a whole new rig to play this game on Ultra lol...wish I knew this a month ago.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 1, 2011 2:56:58 PM

Yup its definately the vram that is the issue with BF3 it chews up 1GB very easily, can you still exchange the card for a 2GB version?
m
0
l
December 1, 2011 3:04:28 PM

monsta said:
Yup its definately the vram that is the issue with BF3 it chews up 1GB very easily, can you still exchange the card for a 2GB version?


No, they will only exchange for the same item, which I have already started the process on. Probably just buy a new 560ti 2gb and sell the brand new 1gb card when it gets in.

Anyone want to buy a 560ti 1gb, brand new? :kaola: 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 1, 2011 3:15:21 PM

Good idea to sell it if you want to game at Ultra, I'm thinking about doing the same , should of stuck to the 580 I was originally going to get.
m
0
l
December 2, 2011 1:05:16 AM

Just did another bit of testing today in BF3:

Ultra settings, lots of artifacting and gfx crappyness: vram @ 1010mb usage

High settings, no artifacting and played fine: vram @ 950mb usage

I can reproduce the problem just switching back to Ultra settings and it artifacts and craps out every time. :/ 
m
0
l
December 2, 2011 6:02:44 PM

justinco99 said:
I do run MSI Afterburner and have it print info on my G15 keyboard display while gaming. I played last night, CPU at default clock, and GPU and standard vendor OC clocks and Ultra settings. I reproduced the artifacting on Op' Firestorm map in BF3 and the VRAM usage was up at 980mb when I had problems.

I lowered the graphic settings in game to High and restarted the game. After that I had no artifacting the rest of the night. I forgot what my VRAM was running at so need to test again just for curiosity.

So, initial tests lead me to believe the 1gb of VRAM on my card is not capable of running the game cleanly at Ultra settings. Which is a bummer because I built a whole new rig to play this game on Ultra lol...wish I knew this a month ago.


What you stated above is what is happening to my gtx560ti 1gb too. I was still able to run all settings on ultra, but had to turn msaa off and used post processing (which is nvidias FXAA) set to high. Also turned off hbao. My vram never got above 960 gb and I had no issues.
m
0
l
December 2, 2011 6:05:18 PM

monsta said:
Good idea to sell it if you want to game at Ultra, I'm thinking about doing the same , should of stuck to the 580 I was originally going to get.


Monsta how does the game run with 560ti's in SLI? Would lvoe to chat with you about this via PM.
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 8:15:45 PM

chiptouz said:
What you stated above is what is happening to my gtx560ti 1gb too. I was still able to run all settings on ultra, but had to turn msaa off and used post processing (which is nvidias FXAA) set to high. Also turned off hbao. My vram never got above 960 gb and I had no issues.


I didn't use MSAA when on Ultra, but FXAA at high and hba0. Never tried turning off just hba0 though, would have been an interesting test to see if just that put me in a safe vram usage range.

At any rate, just as a follow up. I got my MSI GTX 560ti 2gb version last night (same card just the 2gb version). I was able to play Op' Firestorm on Ultra settings with no MSAA, high FXAA, and hba0 just fine (same settings I had problems with on my 1gb card), no artifacting or gfx issues. The vram usage was showing in the area of 1.4gb used most of the game.

From my testing and experience at least, it seems that a combination of Ultra and some other settings just push the vram usage over what the card can support and caused the artifacting and gfx problems.

And on another interesting note, the 2gb version of the same card, does not use the OC'd memory clocks, but instead the normal reference clock speed and also a lower voltage.
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 8:57:59 PM

justinco99 said:
I didn't use MSAA when on Ultra, but FXAA at high and hba0. Never tried turning off just hba0 though, would have been an interesting test to see if just that put me in a safe vram usage range.

At any rate, just as a follow up. I got my MSI GTX 560ti 2gb version last night (same card just the 2gb version). I was able to play Op' Firestorm on Ultra settings with no MSAA, high FXAA, and hba0 just fine (same settings I had problems with on my 1gb card), no artifacting or gfx issues. The vram usage was showing in the area of 1.4gb used most of the game.

From my testing and experience at least, it seems that a combination of Ultra and some other settings just push the vram usage over what the card can support and caused the artifacting and gfx problems.

And on another interesting note, the 2gb version of the same card, does not use the OC'd memory clocks, but instead the normal reference clock speed and also a lower voltage.


Glad to hear. I am sure you can overclock it yourself and increase the voltages if you'd like.
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 9:09:52 PM

Warmacblu said:
Glad to hear. I am sure you can overclock it yourself and increase the voltages if you'd like.


Yep. Odd thing to me was just the memory clock was not OC'd, core and shaders were still OC'd like the 1gb card. Maybe they use different memory in the 2gb card?

Not sure but was just an observation.
m
0
l
!