Your question

[GRAPHICS CARDS]New rig. Black Screen

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2011 8:34:35 PM

I JUST finished installing all the components for my new rig. I plug it in, turn on the power, everything powers up fine, but the graphics card (or so I think).

Keep in mine I'm new to building pc's.
As far as previous performance, there is none. This is BRAND NEW.
I've read plenty of threads, but they all pertain to people UPGRADING from previous graphics cards, whilst I have started with this one and am having problems.

When the system boots, absolutely nothing appears on the screen. I can't enter the BIOS to change settings because I can't see anything. I can't install drivers because I have no OS installed. I can't install an OS because I can't see anything! I'm stuck and don't know where to turn. Any ideas??

Motherboard
MSI 870A-G54

RAM
Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 4 x 4GB
Timing- 9,9,9,24
Voltage- 1.5v

CPU/Cooler
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Stock Cooler

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
01G-P3-1556-KR

PowerSupply
OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply 600W

Hard Drive
Western Digital WD3200AAKX Caviar Blue Hard Drive 320GB

OS
(will be) Windows 7

Case
NZXT M59-001BK M59

And just a side note, I get no beeps, and my keyboard doesn't seem to respond as none of the lights come on as usual(it's an older keyboard)

More about : graphics cards rig black screen

November 30, 2011 8:37:54 PM

A bad mother board could be the problem. Does it MB boot? do you see the bios test right after you power it on?
November 30, 2011 8:40:35 PM

All the components are running fine. All fans are running, even the one on the graphics card. As far as: "do you see the test right after you power it on?" uhh.. as I mentioned before.. I'm new to this.. soo what are you asking?? :p  Bare with me
Related resources
November 30, 2011 8:43:59 PM

the MB should beep, and the screen should flash some sort of logo "MSI". The fan turning on just means the power is on. There should be some sort of boot screen when you turn it on.
If you really think is the video card, you can try and swap out the new one with a n older card that you may have.
November 30, 2011 8:53:50 PM

Does the motherboard have 'onboard' video? if it does connect your monitor to that and see if it displays anything. Make sure your monitor is set to the right output, i.e. Analog(VGA) or Digital(DVI)... double check all your connections... you connect the power cable to the video card?
November 30, 2011 8:54:35 PM

ah, no sounds. No logo..No boot screen, my monitor shows "no signal" and goes into standby.
November 30, 2011 8:56:26 PM

jdenova007 said:
Does the motherboard have 'onboard' video? if it does connect your monitor to that and see if it displays anything. Make sure your monitor is set to the right output, i.e. Analog(VGA) or Digital(DVI)... double check all your connections... you connect the power cable to the video card?

My Mobo doesnt have onboard video.. unfortunately.. my monitor is set to DVI(the only output available from my GPU) I've checked my connections and even moved the card into a different PCI slot... and yes... the power is connected(I was sure to check that first ;) 
November 30, 2011 9:07:27 PM

Are you sure the Monitor and DVI cable are good? If so, DOA Motherboard...
November 30, 2011 9:09:37 PM

Certain those things are good... hmm.. dead mobo... is this typical of MSI?? any replacement suggestions similar to my current board??
November 30, 2011 9:22:47 PM

I second a DOA MB. I've never used a MSI MB. my normal MB is ASUS, and a few XFX and intel.

Can't you send it back for a replacement board?

What was the main reason for the MSI board? features? price?
November 30, 2011 9:29:44 PM

I'm pretty certain I can send it back... The main reason I got it was the price.. I'd read that it was a great board for the price, but I guess you get what you pay for.. is there anyway to check if it is the GPU and not the MB and vice versa? I don't want to go through returning the MB and find that the graphics card was faulty
November 30, 2011 9:37:11 PM

the only way to check is is the video card in a different rig. if it boots and everything is fine on the other computer then the MSI MB is bad, and the video card is fine. if the computer with the new video card does not boot either, you may have connected something wrong and shorted the boards out. but try a different computer first to see if the video card works.
It's pretty hard to trouble shoot a MB that won't boot (no power up screen with memory test, or logo, not sound/beeping). normally it tell you the MB is bad.

The MSI MB could be good, i've just done no research on the board.
November 30, 2011 9:39:20 PM

Alright. Thanks for the help. I'll try switching video cards and see what happens. If something changes, I'll post again. Most likely, I'll end up replacing the MB
November 30, 2011 9:48:07 PM

pmui said:
the only way to check is is the video card in a different rig. if it boots and everything is fine on the other computer then the MSI MB is bad, and the video card is fine. if the computer with the new video card does not boot either, you may have connected something wrong and shorted the boards out. but try a different computer first to see if the video card works.
It's pretty hard to trouble shoot a MB that won't boot (no power up screen with memory test, or logo, not sound/beeping). normally it tell you the MB is bad.

The MSI MB could be good, i've just done no research on the board.

I know MSI isn't a bad brand name.. I figure if it's bad I'll just exchange it for the same one.. as of now though, I'm looking at different models, mostly just to look :p 
November 30, 2011 10:30:57 PM

Good luck.
November 30, 2011 11:50:34 PM

Well here's the thing: I opened up my old computer(old...) and thought I would try swapping that GPU into my new motherboard.. not much to my surprise, it wouldn't fit in the PCIE slots... soo my plan of testing the GPU is down the drain. I will send for a new MB and hope for the best.
December 1, 2011 12:15:01 AM

if its a old computer its probably a PCI or a AGP card. :) 
December 1, 2011 12:29:15 AM

cant you put your NEW video card in your OLD computer... backwards compatible... at least that will let you know the issue isn't the video card...
December 1, 2011 12:29:53 AM

or am i thinking 2.0 and 2.1 and 1.0 PCI-Express...... whoops... for get I said anything
a c 96 U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 12:38:36 AM

you could check again all the wiring are they all connected on the board an the graphic card also the front panel
December 3, 2011 11:56:56 PM

LOL thanks SOO much for the help guys. GREATLY appreciated. I just installed the mobo and she's running fine!
December 4, 2011 12:38:37 AM

Yay for DOA motherboard.... i was correct... :o )
December 4, 2011 11:18:45 PM

jdenova007 said:
Yay for DOA motherboard.... i was correct... :o )

thanksomuch! :p  Happy computer-ing
!