ATI Radeon 6950 3 monitor eyefinity display

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaddow1201

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I'm buying a new computer, with likely an ATI Radeon 6950 video card and 3-27'' DP capable monitors.

A) is this the best choice for this card. (is there a better monitor setup)
B) what cabling will i need to make sure i can do all of this smoothly?

Solution
AHhh
Unless you're absolutely wanting to run 3 monitors to play games, just stay with a single graphics card, and use the single monitor for gaming, while the extra two for work.
For desktop-ing, non-3d, the 6950 is over-kill.

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
as an answer to A, in MOST cases a 6950 would easily hold it up. If you're gonna do gaming, get two of them, but otherwise one will suffice. A note here: get the Asus DCII 2GB card. It has 4 DPs and runs cool and quiet

B) Three display port cables are about your only option as far as I know.

shaddow1201

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
will one card hold up to BF3 on that setup?

i'm on a semi budget, ~$2k for the custom system... and i still need to not piss the missus off, by going over that too much. squeezing for the 3 monitors, not sure i can squeeze another ~$300 for another card.

i'm goin with an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe MB, 16G ram, probably an i5, maybe i7 (see another squeeze point... sigh)

i can put another one in the system in a few months... say 3 or so as i have a bday in there...

i really like the dp 4 outputs of your example... i was seeing 1 on the card i was looking at. Thanks very much for that!

or should i just go break my piggy bank and just suck it up? (please be kind to the piggy bank)

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
the second card will be needed to play that at med gfx across 3 hd monitors....if you can afford it it will be a much better experience....

its possible with one...but you'll hafta turn your res down to 4800x900 and low gfx settings .....

and the other guy is right....these cards are a perfect match for what you discribe... just get 3 dp cables and make sure the mobo you get can cfx 2 3 slot cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121431

and these are good monitors.....i got one myself

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

good luck

bTx

shaddow1201

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

MB: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe (i believe it supports up to 4, and i could probably get a third for birthday (card that is)
RAM 16Gigs
HD - going cheap here. i have several 500G Sata2's
Monitors - going with 3 of what you descried.
Video- going with 2 of what you described.
assume case, and fans etc, and processor fan etc.

question: to run 2-3 of these cards do i need an upgraded power supply. i don't buy cheap power supplies, but what sort of power requirement limitations am i looking at?

it's been a number of years since i bought myself a new desktop, and i'm trying to do it basically once.... spend the time up front, determining what I need, and then pulling the trigger, and NOT a week spent going crazy, rounding up the stuff i forgot....

I work at an educational institution, so i have full access to what i need for OS etc, and allowed per state contracts.

any other suggestions?

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I can't see any way of getting around the "dead spot" in the split between an even number of monitors... which I could only assume why people use an odd number (3, particularly) - to allow the center as the 'main focus', with the additional two or four for sides, then possibly above and below (top and bottom.)

SO - considering you will *really* only have the side monitors for peripheral vision...

Perhaps think about using a single, higher quality, larger monitor for the center and two less costly and/or smaller monitors for the sides.

I have a mix of many types, including two 40" Panasonics to one PC... I think my next "gaming" solution will use either a 24" or 30" center screen, with two 20" or 24" side-monitors rotated 90-deg to match the height. (Though, that 27" ASUS on NewEgg don' look too bad)...

shaddow1201

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
let's say i want hi-res graphics, am i looking at 1 monitor per video card?

so based on your info you think 3 - 27'' monitors? have spec'd out 2 video cards, would i need a 3rd?

my wife is going to freak.. if i have to dump another $600 at it to get 3 monitors and 3 video cards...

is it NECESSARY/smart, etc or just a 'luxury'?

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Eyefinity 'stretches' the view across all monitors; so if you're running 1600x1200 on all three, your effective res goes to 4800x1200; Depending on your FX settings, you will see a range in frame-rate with just a single card.
If you bump that up to a second card, the variation and maximum framerate will increase considerably (based on the GPU).

Though I would expect you may be able to get away with setting up your monitors with a single 6950x2GB by something like:
[1152x864]-[1600x1200]-[1152x864]
Your side monitors will only require half the pipe of your higher quality monitor, and thus *might* (I'd need to test it to be certain) perform as well as TWO 1600x1200 monitors (which I believe works fine with the 6950/6970)... and as I mentioned - you won't be "viewing" on the side monitors as it's almost entirely peripheral vision - you'll probably only be able to notice movement, unless you draw your eyes from the center screen (versus turning your view-point).

** Edit **
One more thing - if you're tight on physical desk space, you can also rotate the monitors 90-deg for a 3600 x 1600 "desktop" vs the (normal) 4800 x 1200.

shaddow1201

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
does the variable monitor resolution effect the eye-finity? i think i was reading that they had to all be the same or were at least recommended...

the reason i ask related to gaming as i know the frame rate is important in the gaming, has been since i got hooked on Forsaken so very long ago.

i will be using this for business as well, as i herd databases and write software for a living... so the multi monitors are important very important for that... but the gaming is the only real 'stress' they'll be under.....

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
AHhh
Unless you're absolutely wanting to run 3 monitors to play games, just stay with a single graphics card, and use the single monitor for gaming, while the extra two for work.
For desktop-ing, non-3d, the 6950 is over-kill.

Solution

shaddow1201

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
thank you all, for the information.

think i will go the 2 x 6950 and 3 - 27'' monitors.

and use it for a while, see where things are, and add another card if the gaming doesn't do what i want.

yes this is overkill for business, but business is what pays for it.... the gaming is personal time ;)

all work, and no play, makes jack a dull boy ;)

thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.