Sixty-five thousand enemies at once on the PS2

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/765/765311/imgs_1.html

Developer claims it can't be done on Xbox.

Xbox pwned!
6 answers Last reply
More about sixty five thousand enemies

    "J. Allard" <AllJard@msn.com> wrote in message
    > http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/765/765311/imgs_1.html
    >
    > Developer claims it can't be done on Xbox.
    >
    > Xbox pwned!

    LOL, you've got to be kidding me. The PS2 has had over 4 years to try and
    prove it could equal the Xbox in visuals, with utter failure.
    This game... there is one screenshot where i see no more than 2 different
    textures being used for the whole of the terrain!! Another screenshot looks
    like it may be using only one... Of course they can afford to devote
    resources to the number of enemies on screen when you only use two freaking
    textures for the whole terrain in the scene. Not to mention the geometry is
    totally PS1 level. What other kind of retard attempt can you come up with?

    mike wrote:
    > "J. Allard" <AllJard@msn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/765/765311/imgs_1.html
    >>
    >>Developer claims it can't be done on Xbox.
    >>
    >>Xbox pwned!
    >

    > LOL, you've got to be kidding me. The PS2 has had over 4 years to try and
    > prove it could equal the Xbox in visuals, with utter failure.
    > This game... there is one screenshot where i see no more than 2 different
    > textures being used for the whole of the terrain!! Another screenshot looks
    > like it may be using only one... Of course they can afford to devote
    > resources to the number of enemies on screen when you only use two freaking
    > textures for the whole terrain in the scene. Not to mention the geometry is
    > totally PS1 level. What other kind of retard attempt can you come up with?

    lets see GT4@60FPS in 1080i, God of War@60FPS in 480p, Burnout Revenge
    PS2> Burnout Revenge Xbox, Black PS2 >Black Xbox, Final Fantasy 12,
    Roque Galaxy, Tekken 5, Soul Calibur 3 > DOAU, Path of Neo w/1500 normal
    mapped characters on screen at once, I'm sure a missed a few.

    Face it Xbox just got it's ass handed to it by 1999 technology this time
    around. If you want to refute the evidence why don't you find me an Xbox
    game with 1/4 as many enemies on screen then.

    Hell, even the shitty RE4 port coming to PS2 looks better than anything
    on Xbox.

    J. Allard wrote:
    > http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/765/765311/imgs_1.html
    >
    > Developer claims it can't be done on Xbox.
    >
    > Xbox pwned!

    65000 enemies and no friends...

    > mike wrote:
    >> "J. Allard" <AllJard@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/765/765311/imgs_1.html
    >>>
    >>>Developer claims it can't be done on Xbox.
    >>>
    >>>Xbox pwned!
    >>

    >> LOL, you've got to be kidding me. The PS2 has had over 4 years to try and
    >> prove it could equal the Xbox in visuals, with utter failure.
    >> This game... there is one screenshot where i see no more than 2
    >> different textures being used for the whole of the terrain!! Another
    >> screenshot looks like it may be using only one... Of course they can
    >> afford to devote resources to the number of enemies on screen when you
    >> only use two freaking textures for the whole terrain in the scene. Not to
    >> mention the geometry is totally PS1 level. What other kind of retard
    >> attempt can you come up with?
    >
    > lets see GT4@60FPS in 1080i, God of War@60FPS in 480p, Burnout Revenge
    > PS2> Burnout Revenge Xbox, Black PS2 >Black Xbox, Final Fantasy 12, Roque
    > Galaxy, Tekken 5, Soul Calibur 3 > DOAU, Path of Neo w/1500 normal mapped
    > characters on screen at once, I'm sure a missed a few.
    >
    > Face it Xbox just got it's ass handed to it by 1999 technology this time
    > around. If you want to refute the evidence why don't you find me an Xbox
    > game with 1/4 as many enemies on screen then.
    >
    > Hell, even the shitty RE4 port coming to PS2 looks better than anything on
    > Xbox.

    Well let's see... GT4 at 1080i isn't a true 1080i signal. It's being
    upscaled internally. Not to mention, there is a loss of texture detail at
    that upscaled signal in order to free up processing power. Not that
    Polyphony hasn't done a great job with what they have to work with. They are
    fantastic at what they do. Forza still has more detail, better textures,
    more realistic trees and backgrounds etc when you run them side by side.
    God of War, 480p at 60fps... And you expect anything less? This is nothing
    new to Xbox owners in case you haven't noticed. About every game runs in
    480p, even if it doesn't say that it is supported, and plenty of them run at
    60fps. God of War is a great game, but visually it certainly wouldn't be
    anything new or innovative to Xbox owners. Not to mention, those textures
    are blurry as hell, just like every other PS2 game available. You need to
    sit down for 5 minutes with a PC game running on a good video card. You are
    missing out on a lot if you think God of War is anything special visually.
    And, do you really think a few more particles is going to make or break the
    domination Xbox has over the PS2 in graphics? Don't kid yourself. Those
    games will be toned down in every other area(textures etc) just so they can
    say the PS2 did SOMETHING better, which probably won't even be noticable.
    The other games listed that aren't coming out for the Xbox would be better
    done on the Xbox. Don't forget, it's not the hardware that is the
    determining factor in the look of a game often times. Talented developers
    will take advantage of what they have, and make things look good reguardless
    of how much or how little power they have to work with. So with that
    reasoning, you can only assume their games would look even better on more
    powerful hardware, like the Xbox.
    Did you forget that Path of Neo is also coming to the Xbox? 1500 normal
    mapped characters? Ha, you are kidding yourself again if you think either
    system will be doing that with the game. If anything, the Xbox will come
    much closer to it than the PS2. The PS2 lacks shaders that make many of
    these things possible, so they come up with generic tricks to try and make
    up for it, and of course it doesn't work too well most of the time.
    RE4 isn't an argument either.. because the PS2 version is being toned down
    from even the GC version with washed out textures and such, even though the
    GC version came out well before it was developed for the PS2. And if there
    was an Xbox version, it would be coming in 3rd place, not second.
    Not to mention the plethora of Xbox games that developers themselves have
    stated that there will never be a PS2 version because they just couldn't do
    it considering the hardware capabilities of the PS2. They would have to be
    toned down so much that the experience simply wouldn't be the same.
    Why do you think there isn't a Doom3, Riddick, Far Cry etc. on PS2? Have you
    compared the latest Splinter Cell? The list goes on. Ubi cancelled Far Cry
    Instincts for the PS2, and gave no reason as to why. Well, i think we all
    know why, don't we :)

    I have faith that the PS3 will change all of this. I guess we'll have to
    wait and see though because i certainly will never believe anything that
    Sony says.

    >> lets see GT4@60FPS in 1080

    IGN quote:

    "the 1080i output isn't as stunning as the 720p output we've seen in other
    non-PS2 titles"

    in other words, Xbox 720p looks more impressive than upsampled 1080i on PS2.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    mike wrote:
    >>>lets see GT4@60FPS in 1080
    >

    > IGN quote:
    >
    > "the 1080i output isn't as stunning as the 720p output we've seen in other
    > non-PS2 titles"
    >
    > in other words, Xbox 720p looks more impressive than upsampled 1080i on PS2.

    It's not upsampled. Upsampling is what the Xbox version of SCII did.
    The PS2 can't upsample as it doesn't have a decoder chip like the Xbox does.

    Here is what they did.
    GT4@60FPS in 1080i
    frame 1 is running @ 640x540odd scan lines
    frame 2 is running @ 640x540even scan lines

    This gives you a total of 60 interlaced frames giving us 640x1080
    resolution. The 640 portion is stretched to fit the screen. This offers
    more pixel resolution than 480p and takes less bandwidth than 720p

    Now a game like Soul Calibur 2 on Xbox ran in 640x480p and was upscaled
    to fit in a 720p format. The problem was there were black bars around
    the entire image, therefore it wasn't in 720p

    See, I consider GT4 to be just slightly more advanced than say, ohh I
    dont know, that lame Dragon Quest game you guys got in 720p.. LOL.

Console Gaming Video Sony Xbox Games PlayStation Video Games