Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hey guys, I'm looking to get another router to setup DD-WRT on to act as a client bridger. I had a WRT160N that I installed it on and it seems to work pretty well, but that's my main router. I see that everyone raves about the older WRT54G router.

Would you guys recommend getting a WRT160N since it's a N router, or going with the WRT54G router? They're a similar price now.

Not any older/worse than the alternative G router you're considering (WRT54G). :)

In fact, better. It has more memory (32MB) and more flash (8MB) than most versions of the WRT54G, plus 2 x USB for support of HDDs, flash, and printers.

Now granted, it's not N, and in general I would pursue an N solution if I was starting a new network, or replacing an existing G network. But if you're considering G for whatever reason, I just think there are better G solutions than the WRT54G. 5-6 years ago the WRT54G was king of the hill, but (imo) it's long been surpassed by the likes of the ASUS WL-500GP V2, or even the ASUS WL-520GU.

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Do you guys recommend these over the WRT160N? Should I try and stay on the same mfg in order to ensure compatibility, especially if I'm doing client bridge stuff, or should that not matter as long as they both have DD-WRT installed?

Compatibility shouldn't be an issue w/ dd-wrt universal client or repeater bridging because it uses standard wifi protocols (b/g/n). IOW, these bridges connect to the remote AP as a common wireless client, just like any USB/PCI wireless adapter you might find on your PC. Hence, they have exactly the same level of compatibility across manufacturers as any other wifi certified products.

I’m personally a big fan of the ASUS routers. Things have changed, Linksys is not the leader it once was back in the heyday of the WRT54G (imo). I love ASUS because it’s nearly impossible to brick, never seems to drop connections, produces a strong reliable signal, etc. I just never have problems w/ them. And this new line of RT-Nxx models seem to continue that tradition. But that’s just a personal opinion. I just wish they were a little cheaper. That's why I still grab inexpensive, dd-wrt compatible, wireless G routers when I can find them, esp. if I just need it for simple client bridging of say, a printer.