CPU usage for bf3 Help

mystagogus

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hello all, this is my first time posting so please let me know if there is more information that is needed.
This is my current system.
Mobo Gigabyte Technology co. EP45-UD3P
cpu intel core 2 duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6850
Memory 8192 MBytes DDR2(dunno what that means but I just copied what it said)
64 Bit windows 7
Monitor resolution is 1360 x 768

My problem is playing bf3 multiplayer. On medium or even low settings I get small but noticeable stutters. on a 64 player map with lots of explosions the lag is a little worse. I'm not looking to play the game at super awesome settings, I just want to be able to compete without dealing without the stutters or lag. The reason for posting this in CPU forums is because I looked at my task manager while playing multiplayer and I noticed the cpu usage was at 100%. Does this mean my cpu isn't good enough? I was hoping to avoid buying a new motherboard if this was the case so any help on what I could do would be great. Thanks

Solution
Your cpu is topping out and causing you a major bottleneck.

If you don't want to do a complete upgrade , I would suggest you look at a Core 2 Quad like the Q9650 or Qx9650, grab one off ebay, they are still kinda pricey for their age tho.
It will elleviate your bottleneck and will play perfectly, I had the same problem with my E8500, so I picked up a QX9650 and overclocked it, problem was solved.

mystagogus

Honorable
May 14, 2012
it runs great on single player, high settings with no problem.
so I was checking on newegg and I must be confused on how to shop around for a new cpu. The motherboard I have is old and according to the websites details the socket type is LGA 775.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

When searching for desktop cpu's I clicked the LGA 775 filter and only had 6 options to choose from. None of them said anything about quad core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%20600005851&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%20775

im a bit of a noob when it comes to making sure I select the correct cpu so any help would be very appreciated.

monsta

Splendid
Your cpu is topping out and causing you a major bottleneck.

If you don't want to do a complete upgrade , I would suggest you look at a Core 2 Quad like the Q9650 or Qx9650, grab one off ebay, they are still kinda pricey for their age tho.
It will elleviate your bottleneck and will play perfectly, I had the same problem with my E8500, so I picked up a QX9650 and overclocked it, problem was solved.

Solution
BF3 SP uses as many shiny DX11 effects as it can, which makes it stress the GPU much more then the CPU. In MP however, BF3 is VERY hard on CPU's, and fact is, a C2D simply isn't enough.

While a new SB based CPU would be a major upgrade, if you can find a cheap 8000/9000 series C2Q [assuming mobo support], that would be a cheaper short term upgrade.

mystagogus

Honorable
May 14, 2012
if you think it will help I suppose so. I went into this problem initially thinking I would need to get a new cpu. I didnt realize the type of chip socket on my motherboard was outdated. Do you think overclocking would help? I would need to look up how to do it but im sure it's not that difficult.

mystagogus

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Thanks so much for the help =)

Since I was just initially thinking I would buy a new cpu I was only looking at spending no more than $200. maybe I should just put some money away and update everything like you mentioned.