Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Final review, then ordering.

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 30, 2012 7:34:00 PM

I have made a few changes based on your suggestions and further compatibility research.

Approximate Purchase Date: TODAY!!!!.

Budget Range: $1,500 - $2,000. $1,750 is the sweet spot for my budget

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Photoshop

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor (yet), OS, other peripherals.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, exclusively

Country: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel/NVIDIA

Overclocking: Yes, definitely (when I learn how)

SLI or Crossfire: When needed

Monitor Resolution: 23 inch samsung 1080p

GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970 $550
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Mini-HDMI-Lifet...

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Processor $300

MOBO: ASUS Intel LGA 1155 $180
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Intel-LGA-1155-Motherboards/...

Memory: Patriot Viper Xtreme Series DDR3 12 GB $100
http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-PC3-16000-2000MHz-9-11-9-...

Checked the ASUS mobo for the compatablity on this

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB $75

SSD: Crucial 128 GB m4 $180

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt $118

Case: Coolermaster HAF ATX $58

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $30.22

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit $233.02

Ok guys, if I dont see any objections I am going to start ordering this today. So please, let me know what you think!!!!!!!

More about : final review ordering

a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2012 7:47:41 PM

Why did you get a triple channel Ram kit when your CPU & motherboard only support dual channel? If you use all 3 modules, you will automatically degrade the memory to single channel performance.

I suggest either getting an 8 gb kit (2x4gb) or a 16 GB kit (4x4GB).
January 30, 2012 7:49:52 PM

^What he said. Other than that, looks good.
Related resources
January 30, 2012 7:56:20 PM

clarkjd said:
Why did you get a triple channel Ram kit when your CPU & motherboard only support dual channel? If you use all 3 modules, you will automatically degrade the memory to single channel performance.

I suggest either getting an 8 gb kit (2x4gb) or a 16 GB kit (4x4GB).




I pulled the spec sheet from the ASUS website when I choose the ram.

This is what it said was compatible for the DDR3 2000 vendors

DDR3 2000 Vendors
Part No.
Size
SS/DS
Chip Brand Chip NO. Timing Volt DIMM1 DIMM2 DIMM4
A-DATA AX3U2000GB2G9B(XMP) 2GB DS - - 9-11-9-27 1.55~1.75 ● ● ●
A-DATA AX3U2000GC4G9B(XMP) 4GB DS - - 9-11-9-27 1.55~1.75 ● ● ●
Apacer 78.AAGD5.9KD(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-27 - ● ● ●
CORSAIR CMT6GX3M3A2000C8(XMP) 6GB(3x2GB) DS - - 8-9-8-24 1.65 ● ● ●
Crucial BL12864BE2009.8SFB3(EPP) 1GB SS - - 9-9-9-28 2 ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH(XMP) 4GB(2 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.65 ● ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD(XMP) 4GB(2 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.65 ● ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL7T-6GBPS(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 7-8-7-20 1.65 ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL9T-6GBPS(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.65 ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.6 ● ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL7Q-8GBFLS(XMP) 8GB(4 x 2GB) DS - - 7-9-7-24 1.65 ● ●
GEIL GUP34GB2000C9DC(XMP) 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-28 1.65 ● ● ●
GEIL GE38GB2000C9QC(XMP) 8GB(4 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-28 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/3GX(XMP) 3GB(3x1GB) SS - - - 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3T1K2/4GX(XMP) 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - 9 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3W1K2/4GX(XMP 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - 9 1.65 ● ●
) KINGSTON KHX2000C9D3T1K2/4GX(XMP) 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - - 1.65 ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX(XMP) 6GB(3x2GB) DS - - 9 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX(XMP) 6GB(3x2GB) DS - - - 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3W1K3/6GX(XMP 6GB(3x2GB) DS - - 9 1.65 ● ●
) OCZ OCZ3B2000LV6GK 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 7-8-7 1.65 ● ●
Transcend TX2000KLN-8GK (388375)(XMP) 4GB DS - - 1.6 ● ● ●
AEXEA AXA3ES2G2000LG28V(XMP) 2GB DS - - - 1.65 ● ● ●
AEXEA AXA3ES4GK2000LG28V(XMP) 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - - 1.65 ● ● ●
Gingle 9CAASS37AZZ01D1 2GB DS - - 9-9-9-24 - ● ●
Patriot PX7312G2000ELK(XMP) 12GB ( 3x 4GB ) DS - - 9-11-9-27 1.65 ● ● ●
Patriot PVT36G2000LLK(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 8-8-8-24 1.65 ● ● ●
Silicon Power SP002GBLYU200S02(XMP) 2GB DS - - -- ● ● ●
Team TXD32048M2000C9(XMP) 2GB DS Team T3D1288RT-20 9-9-9-24 1.5 ● ● ●
Team TXD32048M2000C9-L(XMP) 2GB DS Team T3D1288LT-20 9-9-9-24 1.5 ● ● ●
Team TXD32048M2000C9-L(XMP) 2GB DS Team T3D1288RT-20 9-9-9-24 1.6 ● ● ●



The Patriot purchased was the only 12gb setup

Is this not correct??????
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2012 8:05:00 PM

rontanamo said:
I pulled the spec sheet from the ASUS website when I choose the ram.

This is what it said was compatible for the DDR3 2000 vendors

DDR3 2000 Vendors
Part No.
Size
SS/DS
Chip Brand Chip NO. Timing Volt DIMM1 DIMM2 DIMM4
A-DATA AX3U2000GB2G9B(XMP) 2GB DS - - 9-11-9-27 1.55~1.75 ● ● ●
A-DATA AX3U2000GC4G9B(XMP) 4GB DS - - 9-11-9-27 1.55~1.75 ● ● ●
Apacer 78.AAGD5.9KD(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-27 - ● ● ●
CORSAIR CMT6GX3M3A2000C8(XMP) 6GB(3x2GB) DS - - 8-9-8-24 1.65 ● ● ●
Crucial BL12864BE2009.8SFB3(EPP) 1GB SS - - 9-9-9-28 2 ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH(XMP) 4GB(2 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.65 ● ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD(XMP) 4GB(2 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.65 ● ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL7T-6GBPS(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 7-8-7-20 1.65 ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL9T-6GBPS(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.65 ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.6 ● ● ●
G.SKILL F3-16000CL7Q-8GBFLS(XMP) 8GB(4 x 2GB) DS - - 7-9-7-24 1.65 ● ●
GEIL GUP34GB2000C9DC(XMP) 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-28 1.65 ● ● ●
GEIL GE38GB2000C9QC(XMP) 8GB(4 x 2GB) DS - - 9-9-9-28 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/3GX(XMP) 3GB(3x1GB) SS - - - 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3T1K2/4GX(XMP) 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - 9 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3W1K2/4GX(XMP 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - 9 1.65 ● ●
) KINGSTON KHX2000C9D3T1K2/4GX(XMP) 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - - 1.65 ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX(XMP) 6GB(3x2GB) DS - - 9 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX(XMP) 6GB(3x2GB) DS - - - 1.65 ● ● ●
KINGSTON KHX2000C9AD3W1K3/6GX(XMP 6GB(3x2GB) DS - - 9 1.65 ● ●
) OCZ OCZ3B2000LV6GK 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 7-8-7 1.65 ● ●
Transcend TX2000KLN-8GK (388375)(XMP) 4GB DS - - 1.6 ● ● ●
AEXEA AXA3ES2G2000LG28V(XMP) 2GB DS - - - 1.65 ● ● ●
AEXEA AXA3ES4GK2000LG28V(XMP) 4GB(2x2GB) DS - - - 1.65 ● ● ●
Gingle 9CAASS37AZZ01D1 2GB DS - - 9-9-9-24 - ● ●
Patriot PX7312G2000ELK(XMP) 12GB ( 3x 4GB ) DS - - 9-11-9-27 1.65 ● ● ●
Patriot PVT36G2000LLK(XMP) 6GB(3 x 2GB) DS - - 8-8-8-24 1.65 ● ● ●
Silicon Power SP002GBLYU200S02(XMP) 2GB DS - - -- ● ● ●
Team TXD32048M2000C9(XMP) 2GB DS Team T3D1288RT-20 9-9-9-24 1.5 ● ● ●
Team TXD32048M2000C9-L(XMP) 2GB DS Team T3D1288LT-20 9-9-9-24 1.5 ● ● ●
Team TXD32048M2000C9-L(XMP) 2GB DS Team T3D1288RT-20 9-9-9-24 1.6 ● ● ●



The Patriot purchased was the only 12gb setup

Is this not correct??????

The point is you don't want a triple channel kit in a dual channel motherboard! the 3x4GB modules will work, just not at full dual channel speeds, and certainly not at triple channel speed! If you MUST have 12 GB, then get an 8GB kit(2x4GB) and a 4GB kit(2x2GB).
Dual channel RAM must be added in multiples of 2 in order to perform at dual channel speeds.

I also noticed that most of the listed ram runs at 1.65 volts or higher. try to stay at 1.5 volts.

Also, the difference in performance with the 1155 socket CPUs between 1600 and 2000 is negligeable. Any performance you gain by going with 2000 speed ram is lost by going to single channel mode.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2012 8:19:00 PM

I'm having a bit o trouble understanding the reasoning behind some of the selections.

Why a micro ATX Motherboard ?????? They are designed for unusually small cases.

Why a 2600k for what I assume is a gaming box ? You going to be using any apps that require Hyperthreading ?

Why tri channel RAM on a Double Channel board ? Suggest Corsair low profile Vengeance, moire than 8GB isn't gonna do anything for a gaming box.

Not also that the suggested RAM from Clark there is great RAM but it's quite likely will hit ya CPU cooler. You'll want something that is low profile to avoid that possibility. You can use RAM at 1.35, 1.50 or 1.65 volts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why Blue not black on the HD ? (blue = slower)

Why a Tier 5 SSD instead of Tier 3 ? Tier 3's are 21% faster and just $20 more
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmar...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Confused with the pairing of a budget model case w/ a hi-end model PSU ?

Why Windows Ultimate; you need Bit Locker ?

Why budget cooler in a $2k box ? I'd upgrade to the 212's big brother, the Hyper 61 PWM for $20 more.

January 31, 2012 1:05:00 AM

Ok, glad I am getting this feedback before I submit my order.

@clarkjd: I will look for a a good double set up. a 4X2gb setup?

@ JackNaylorPE: I put these things that I have suggested up in various places and did my own reading to see what to go with here.

Mobo: I did not realize this was a micro board (noob, i know) What full size board would you suggest? I was originally going for the Asus Maximus IV extreme. I like the Asus brand, and want some OCing ability.

CPU: I figured the 2600k would allow for better photo editing aps.

RAM: Resolved, going with clarkjd's suggestions combined with yours as i realize clearance will be an issue (unless you suggest a good mobo with more room)

HDD: Had no idea....black it is

SSD: Had no idea...tier 5 it is

Case: I don't care too much about looks and this brand had great reviews, and was mid sized and cheap, so I saw no negatives. Honestly, I would like to save that money unless cooling is an issue with the case.

OS: Hmm...idk why I have ultimate, because it sounds cool? Because I saw it in a lot of the test builds? I know these are not really good reasons, what good reasons are there for having it?

Cooler: I have the 212 evo because people suggested it and said that it easily handled the cooling of a 2600K oc'd to 4.5. Ill take a look at that hyper 61


Seriously guys, keep the suggestions coming (I've obviously pushed back ordering until I settle on components)


January 31, 2012 1:37:10 AM

Your revisions look good. @JackNaylorPE brought up all the points I was going to inquire about, with the exception of 8gb vs. 12gb of RAM.

For modern systems, the GPU can address up to about 4GB of RAM for itself if you're playing a taxing game. This isn't a huge deal on an 8GB system if you plan to just play the game and call it good. For those of us who are a little ADD or like to switch to a web browser while playing, this presents a problem on the multitasking front.

In this case, you'd have the ~4GB of RAM that the GPU took for itself plus whatever the game uses, which can range up to 2GB (in a *very* extreme case), but usually hovers around ~1GB for modern games. Switching between the applications in this scenario can become a hassle. Not impossible; just a little more inconvenient than it should be.

So, having 12+ GB of RAM in your system would alleviate this issue. I personally just upgraded my main rig (2600K, 6950) to 12GB from 8GB after noticing while playing The Old Republic that my computer was actually using 6.8GB of my available 8GB of RAM.

So, that's why I'd recommend 12GB vs. 8GB. Also, you can turn off your hard drive pagefile so that all of your applications stay in memory and are ready at a moment's notice. Just turned off my pagefile and I'm actually quite surprised how much snappier it is to switch between apps.

Note that 8GB will cause Windows 7 to crash without a pagefile under heavy memory loads, whereas 12GB won't. Also note that it is still true that you should not be buying a triple-channel memory kit for a dual-channel board. Just buy a 8GB dual-channel and a 4GB dual channel. Or just get two 8GB kits. It's not like decent DDR3 memory is that expensive anymore.

Tom's had a very interesting article about memory a while back, but I can't seem to locate it anymore.


Anyway, now that I've rambled way more than I should have, I'll leave you alone and let you build your computer :-).



P.S. I have an i7-2600K because I can. I realize that I probably see no benefit from it at all since my normal usage case is gaming, but I got a decent deal on it, so I went for it. In most cases, an i5-2500K (or i5-2550K now) will do every bit as good a job as an i7 for gaming.
January 31, 2012 1:51:48 AM

So can someone list me a better, larger? mobo and 12-16gb of really good ram?

Should I just go with the Asus Maximus IV Extreme?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 1:59:33 AM

i would suggest this mobo-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OR
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-LGA-1155-Motherboards-P8Z68-...
it is from a very highly recommended brand asus.pci 3 for future upgrades and uefi bios for better tweaking.you can also get asrock extreme3/gen3 for a lesser price but if can manage then this is better choice.
2500k and 2600k are similar in gaming.if you think that you can take the full advantage of hyper-threading,then go with i7y otherwise i5 is wiser choice.
for ram,go with this model-
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platfor...
you will have clearance issues only if you are going with an insanely large cooler.8GB is more than enough.
go with a cheaper green or blue hdd for now because prices are very high.upgrade later.here's one-
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Cache-Desk...
crucial m4 ssds are really very reliable and good.but they fall behind in speeds when compared to newer ssds.cronos is a good ssd.here's one for ya-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Chronos-2-5-Inch-Solid-MK...
there is nothing wrong with that case.i would suggest HAF 922 if possible otherwise 912 is a great case :) 
win7 home premium 64 bit is enough for any use unless you are setting up any server.
hyper 212 evo is a great cooler.here it is-
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2...

a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 2:00:41 AM

BTW what psu are you using?
January 31, 2012 3:20:50 AM

hellfire24 said:
BTW what psu are you using?



Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt $118
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 11:28:20 AM

rontanamo said:
@clarkjd: I will look for a a good double set up. a 4X2gb setup?

RAM: Resolved, going with clarkjd's suggestions combined with yours as i realize clearance will be an issue (unless you suggest a good mobo with more room)


I would NOT recommend a 4x2GB kit. I would prefer a 2x4GB kit. 2 modules are simpler, and you have 2 empty slots should you ever need to add more RAM, which you could add without having to take out any of your already purchased RAM.

JackNaylorPE makes some very good points about the height of the RAM. You definately need to go low profile with a lot of aftermarket coolers.
!