Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Power Connection?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2011 11:54:39 PM

Hi there,

As all of you can see i'm a new guy here. I have been scratching my head over a new GFX card and how to connect the power supply to it.

It's a Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II that has 2x8-pin connectors. Now my PSU is a Coolermaster silent pro gold 700watt.

The PSU itself has a 2x6-pin connections with the option of having 1 of them in a 8-pin, so in other words you get 6-pin,6-pin or 6-pin,8-pin and then there are 2 extra PCI-E openings on the PSU with the same cable configuration.

My question here is, do I use the rail 8pin + an extra PCI-E connection 8-pin cause I can't see how otherwise I would connect the damn thing?

More about : power connection

a c 153 U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 12:01:27 AM

Make sure you DON'T use the CPU 8-pin.

Anyway I'm surprised that power supply didn't come with a 6pin to 8pin adapter? That's what you need.
December 1, 2011 12:14:55 AM

Hi Helltech

Heheh, that would be funny if I DID use it :o 

The PSU itself has the 2x4 12v rails for the mobo and then a seperate PCI-E rail along with the 2 extra on the modular side.

I wasn't sure if I would be able to use an adapter cause as you pointed out there wasn't any withe the PSU, just the standard cables.

I had a XFX HD 5870 that used the 2x6-pin connectors fine, it's just the new card that got me wondering...and yep, I don't just want to go ahead and plug stuff in and fry a $1000 card (I live in NZ but used to live in the UK and that's where my PC is from hence posting on the UK site :p )
Related resources
December 1, 2011 2:25:28 AM

I've just looked at some 6 to 8pin converters. If I used one of these on the 1 PCI-E cable that has the 6 and 6+2 connection to make it a 8+8.....will it still draw the same power or will I run short?
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 2:49:56 AM

Just use the other 6 pin cable. You do not need an adapter. An adapter would not do anything for you anyway.

... 3, 2, 1.
"But the 8 pin connector is designed to provide 150 watts, instead of 75 watts."

That is what they say. But is it really true?

Look at the 6 pin connector. You have three hot lines (yellow 12 volt) and three ground lines (black). Now look at the 8 pin connector. You have 3 yellow and 5 black wires. Please tell me how adding 2 more ground wires will miraculously double the current capacity of a cable.

And the adapter will not miraculously double the current capacity its source.
December 1, 2011 4:34:18 AM

Hi jsc

Thanks for the reply.

I have just had a look and can confirm what you said. Now the golden question is what side to I connect the 6pin in the 8-pin connector....to the left side or the right side as the latch for the connector is in the middle and I would have NO idea where the "power" side is as the yellow wires sits on the bottom of the connection.

(Sorry if I ask obvious or stupid questions but last time I did the "just plug the dam thing in and let's go" it ended up in a massive fire ball and a friendly visit from the fire department.... :fou:  )
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 9:51:14 AM

The 6 pin connector can provide much more power than what it is rated for, that's how manufacturers are able to use the pigtail configuration on the power cables.
That said, I wouldn't use a single cable with 2 connectors for any high end video card.
You should have a modular cable that matches the native cable, use it.
December 1, 2011 4:00:19 PM

Hi dwlluser1

This is the thing I was also wondering...cause at the end of the day the 2x6pin plug is just a split off the 1 plug...so both plugs gets power from 1 cable and not 2 diffrent cables...

...and here comes the but...

but if I use the 1x8pin from the native cable and 1x8pin from the modular cable I'll have 2 seperate power cables providing the power.

So in other words my PSU can power 3 seperate GPU's either with 2x6pin(3 wires) plugs each or a 6pin/8pin(still 3 wires with 1 plug having the 2 extra black wires to make it 8pin) configuration...and if I plug in my GFX card the way I just described there it will then only leave 1 modular
cable free for another card (and that's ok cause i'm just planning on using 1 card)

The REAL question was actually if I use 2 seperate power cables to provide power to the GPU will it fry or will it be ok as I said in the past I only used 1 power cable for my HD 5870 and it worked fine, but now i'll either

1.Use an adapter for 1 of the 6pins and still use only 1 wire
2.Just plug the 6pin in without an adapter (and I still don't know if it goes left or right of the plug?..or..
3.Use 2 seperate 8pin plugs off 2 wires and fry the card?

a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 5:30:03 PM

jj1979 said:

The REAL question was actually if I use 2 seperate power cables to provide power to the GPU will it fry or will it be ok as I said in the past I only used 1 power cable for my HD 5870 and it worked fine,

Using 2 cables won't fry the card, it will give you the 2 x 8 pin connectors that you need.
An overclocked GTX580 uses a hell of a lot more power than a 5870.
December 5, 2011 5:56:18 PM

delluser1 said:
Using 2 cables won't fry the card, it will give you the 2 x 8 pin connectors that you need.
An overclocked GTX580 uses a hell of a lot more power than a 5870.

Hi delluser1

Thanks, i thought so much as I spoke to a techie guy at a pc shop and told me the same thing this weekend.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated! :D 
!