Sign in with
Your question

Does "Speed Fan" always show the correct temperature?

Last response: in CPUs
May 14, 2012 8:42:51 PM

RealTempGT seems to be detecting a maximum core temperature of 40C and my BIOS was showing a temperature of 30C the last time I looked. While SpeedFan is showing an average temperature of 80C.

Should I be worried or do more testing?
May 14, 2012 8:51:00 PM

I'm a little wary with this also! It really depends on how accurate the selected sensors are. Some folc actually physically add their own - in certain circumstances (inexpensive to do).

There are other hardware monitors available - most folk use >1.....e.g. hwmonitor
a c 283 à CPUs
May 14, 2012 8:52:06 PM

SpeedFan has always been wrong for me on CPU temp with my current system. The diode it's detecting is definitely not the CPU temp. Probably VRM temp, is my guess.

Try HWMonitor to be sure, but I'm 99.9% sure that SpeedFan is just detecting the wrong sensor diode.
Related resources
May 14, 2012 8:56:08 PM

If the temperature is actually 90C should it be noticeably or alarmingly hot If I try and put my hand near it
a c 283 à CPUs
May 14, 2012 8:58:07 PM

headbanger2894 said:
If the temperature is actually 90C should it be noticeably or alarmingly hot If I try and put my hand near it

Yeah, if it's really that hot, the air around it should be very warm.
May 14, 2012 8:58:12 PM

Because of the programming and the differences in sensors, motherboards, cpu's, etc., the temps can differ for different programs, different cpu architectures, motherboards, etc. They may not be correct at all. As DJ mentioned, try a different program and see if the temps continue to read the same. If they look good in another program, i would say it's very likely that it's SpeedFan that is wrong.
May 14, 2012 9:00:06 PM

Yeah, I just put my hand right next to the fan and, well my hand is nearly freezing after that :p 
a c 146 à CPUs
May 15, 2012 12:42:04 AM

It seems to be one of the least accurate programs for monitoring temps. It seems like when people come in here with wrong temp readings the program they are using is Speedfan. I like HWMonitor and Core temp so far I've had very little problems with these programs.
!