Closed Solved

$2,000 System Compatability/cooling review

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4dK0
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4dK0/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($204.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($557.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Inwin Dragon Rider ATX Full Tower Case ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 800W ATX12V Power Supply ($118.64 @ Mac Connection)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($174.95 @ Adorama)
Total: $1949.38
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-01-30 17:15 EST-0500)

This is my build for a $2,000 pc im curious to know if it is possible to get a real water cooling system isntead of the cpu liquid cooling I have listed, I would be willing to change the Motherboard to an EVGA FTW in exchange but this is going to end up a 3-SLI or Xfire overclocker.

How's it look? I need to know if these are fully compatable parts too, thanks community!
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system compatability cooling review
  1. Best answer
    Quote:
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($339.99 @ Newegg)


    I'd really hesitate to spend that much money on a motherboard when one that's 1/2 the cost has the same functions.

    Try this one instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

    For the cooler get a good, solid air cooler. One of the best can be had for not too much money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

    Invest the difference you'd be saving (about $170) in getting a good 128GB SSD for your boot drive and use the 2TB as your secondary storage. Try this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

    Quote:
    This is my build for a $2,000 pc im curious to know if it is possible to get a real water cooling system isntead of the cpu liquid cooling I have listed, I would be willing to change the Motherboard to an EVGA FTW in exchange but this is going to end up a 3-SLI or Xfire overclocker.


    The current generation of EVGA boards hasn't had the best reviews on both the X79 and Z68 configurations. You're better off sticking with Asrock, Asus, or Gigabyte.

    Quote:
    Case: Inwin Dragon Rider ATX Full Tower Case ($134.99 @ Newegg)


    There's way better case choices for the money. If you're dead set on getting that particular one - I understand it's all about aesthetics and personal preference. This would be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010

    Quote:
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($557.86 @ Newegg)


    Even though I'm recommending a Gigabyte motherboard I really hesitate to recommend their video cards - Sapphire is a brand that I've used heavily over the last few years and they make really solid products, and their 7970 is no exception.
  2. I think the Gigabyte video card'd be fine.

    Choose your case entirely by stylistic preference. The "performance" of the case won't matter much: almost any case above $60 will work fine.

    On a budget like this, you might as well spend $50 on the Mugen 3, which is better.

    Definitely get an SSD.

    You might also consider the MSI Z68A-GD80.
  3. Quote:
    You might also consider the MSI Z68A-GD80.


    I had an MSI 870A-G45 die on me after three days. I really hesitate to recommend their boards based off that.

    Quote:
    On a budget like this, you might as well spend $50 on the Mugen 3, which is better.


    The Mugen 3 is a good choice but I really like the cooler I just got and that's the EVGA M020: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835288001

    My CPU was hitting almost 55'C on full use and now it barely hits 44'C on full use, it's that good.

    Quote:
    Choose your case entirely by stylistic preference. The "performance" of the case won't matter much: almost any case above $60 will work fine.


    I have a few requirements now for picking the cases I do. I don't go by style anymore. If I'm buying a case it has to have the following:
    1. CPU retainer in motherboard tray
    2. Cable management
    3. Easy to install HDD access, bonus for SSD flexibility
    4. Looks good, but style is an afterthought
    5. Bottom-mounted PSU
    6. Top-mounted USB and volume controls
    7. USB 2.0, but USB 3.0, eSATA and Firewire optional
  4. I'm no expert, but wouldn't this memory be better? It's 16gb for the same price, and as far as I am aware, corsair has great ram:
    Corsair memory @ TigerDirect
  5. g-unit1111 said:
    Quote:
    You might also consider the MSI Z68A-GD80.


    I had an MSI 870A-G45 die on me after three days. I really hesitate to recommend their boards based off that.

    You've been on here too long to dismiss a company based on a single DOA. Everyone gets one every once in a while.

    Oh, there was Redline in there! Yeah, that stuff is stupidly expensive. Skip the Vengeance, though—those tall heatsinks won't do anything but possibly interfere with your heatsink (that EVGA might be the best choice).
  6. kajabla said:
    You've been on here too long to dismiss a company based on a single DOA. Everyone gets one every once in a while.

    Oh, there was Redline in there! Yeah, that stuff is stupidly expensive. Skip the Vengeance, though—those tall heatsinks won't do anything but possibly interfere with your heatsink (that EVGA might be the best choice).


    Certainly not the first time I've encountered DOAs from MSI - my boss has had several and when I was buying a motherboard he told me either Gigabyte or Asus were the best. So that's what I always choose.

    Yeah I don't like the Vengeance for that reason but they do make a low profile version for just that reason: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=744455&CatId=4534
  7. Well to be honest I heard that the three best Z68 motherboards for overclocking 3-sli were made by Asus Gigabyte and EVGA so I am not looking too keenly at MSI.

    As for the air cooling, thank you for the advice, but I would also like to see if anyone knows a good water cooling setup honestly I was looking at trying this:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1194471/blue-eyes-black-dragon-in-win-dragon-rider-360-rad-mod-completed
  8. anomnious said:
    Well to be honest I heard that the three best Z68 motherboards for overclocking 3-sli were made by Asus Gigabyte and EVGA so I am not looking too keenly at MSI.

    As for the air cooling, thank you for the advice, but I would also like to see if anyone knows a good water cooling setup honestly I was looking at trying this:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1194471/blue-eyes-black-dragon-in-win-dragon-rider-360-rad-mod-completed


    IMO water cooling, especially a custom setup like that is too much risk for not a lot of payoff. You can try it for sure but I personally do not try to pursuade people to try experimental hardware like that, if something goes wrong that's it. Your warranty will be voided and you'll have to buy new parts.
  9. So Here is my revised build dropped the Asus Mobo picked up the FTW downgraded RAM and CPU Cooling but Upgraded to SSD.

    Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4edf
    Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4edf/by_merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: EVGA M020-00-000234 84.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: EVGA 160-SB-E689-K2 EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($264.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.94 @ Compuvest)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($204.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($173.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($557.86 @ Newegg)
    Case: Inwin Dragon Rider ATX Full Tower Case ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 800W ATX12V Power Supply ($118.64 @ Mac Connection)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($174.95 @ Adorama)
    Total: $1968.28
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-01-30 21:03 EST-0500)
  10. g-unit1111 said:
    IMO water cooling, especially a custom setup like that is too much risk for not a lot of payoff. You can try it for sure but I personally do not try to pursuade people to try experimental hardware like that, if something goes wrong that's it. Your warranty will be voided and you'll have to buy new parts.


    Thanks for the tip, I will wait out on the water cooling until I have more finances to back the possible issues that may arise. :)
  11. No, just don't do it at all. It won't be helpful. You shouldn't need lower CPU temps than the Mugen'll get you. Water-cooled 7970s would be nice, as they can get quite loud, but I don't know enough to advise you on that.

    I advise getting a 1tb drive for now. Prices will go back down, and when they do you'll save a bunch of money. This is if you don't decide that you don't need the extra space at all.

    You should get the OCZ ZX 850W, which is much more efficient than that GS.

    On a budget like this it might be worth getting a 2600K. With two 7970s you may find a use for the couple of extra bins of maximum OCing that almost no other gaming situation needs.
  12. with dual 7970's I would have to totally redo my build I feel like I would be wasting a lot of bang for my buck chasing the GPU when the new 680's are right around the corner.

    I only used the 7970 in this build as a placeholder, I know when competition catches up the victor will likely assume the $500 price and the loser will drop noticeably in price.
  13. kajabla said:
    No, just don't do it at all. It won't be helpful. You shouldn't need lower CPU temps than the Mugen'll get you. Water-cooled 7970s would be nice, as they can get quite loud, but I don't know enough to advise you on that.

    I advise getting a 1tb drive for now. Prices will go back down, and when they do you'll save a bunch of money. This is if you don't decide that you don't need the extra space at all.

    You should get the OCZ ZX 850W, which is much more efficient than that GS.

    On a budget like this it might be worth getting a 2600K. With two 7970s you may find a use for the couple of extra bins of maximum OCing that almost no other gaming situation needs.


    I totally agree - just don't do it. I mean the thing with a custom liquid loop is that there's tons of ways it could go wrong. Stick with one of the suggested air coolers - your system will be safer and it will last a hell of a lot longer.
  14. Yeah definitely going to leave water cooling alone but what about my renovated build is it better now?
  15. anomnious said:
    Yeah definitely going to leave water cooling alone but what about my renovated build is it better now?


    Yeah that looks way better than the original build. If that's what you want go for it.
  16. Is it possible to choose more than 1 best answer?
  17. Best answer selected by anomnious.
  18. Thanks both of you for the responds I chose G-U because it was that post that resulted in the most changes in my build and so I felt was most influential but kajabla was also very helpful.
  19. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product