It was POSTING/BOOTING, not it is not...

mkalavitz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
OK...so I am pulling my hair out! HELP! :cry:

I purchased the following components and assembled them this weekend. I could not get this thing to POST/BOOT for anything.....

So, I took it to a local computer shop to see if they could figure out what was wrong..Well, within 10 minutes of looking at it, they said that there was a bug in the BIOS...So, I don't know what they did, but they got it to POST.

So, I am now home with the computer. I was able to boot it up and while booting hit the DEL key to enter the BIOS setup...It all looked good except that the Memory speed was set at 1333Mhz (I am assuming auto detect or standard setting)...So, I decided to set it for 1866 which is what my DDR3 is....I saved and restared and now I can not get this thing to POST again....I am going crazy...

Is there anyway that I can reset the BIOS so that I can get it to POST again? Why in the world is this doing this to me when the only thing that I changed was the memory speed to 1866 which it is?

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990 FX

CPU: AMD FX 6100 - 6-core, Part # FD6100WMGUSBX

GPU: Nvidia GTX 550Ti

RAM: 16 GB ddr3 1866mhz (VisionTek) memory

CoolMaster - V8 180W Cooling - # RRUV8XBU11113405570

Case: CoolMaster # HAF 932

Please HELP!

thx
Mike

mkalavitz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I gave this a shot and no luck..

Here is exactly what I did:
I turned the power switch off on the back of the power supply.
I removed the power cord from the back of the power supply.
I waited for the LED power light to go out on the MOBO
I then removed the battery...Waited a couple of minutes and re-installed.
Connected power and fired it up....Still no posting...

Do I need to do a reset with the jumper?

Any other ideas? This just does not make any sense to me..

Thanks for the help!
MK

mkalavitz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Hi O1die....do you have any more ideas? I am not sure what do do next except bring it
back to the Computer techs again...I just can't belive that changing the BIOS from
1333 Hz to 1866 Hz for the memory speed is holding me up like this...

Could there be something else?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Mike

mkalavitz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Ok...so, I think that I have tried everything..

To summarize...Is all I did was pick this computer up from the local computer tech shop because I was having trouble with this new build posting/booting...The computer tech shop got it to POST...They said that there was a bug in the BIOS so they reset it..

I am now home with the computer and it posted/booted up fine...So, after letting it boot and having a chance to look at the BIOS I noticed that memory speed was set at 1333MHz....The DDR3 memory that I have installed is 4x4 1866MHz...So, I decided to set it for the proper 1866MHz setting, save and restart....Now this darn thing will not post/boot again...Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

So, I tried to reset the BIOS by removing the onboard battery...I let it stand for 15 minutes without the battery....then re-install...Fire up the computer and still no changes...I still can not post/boot..

I then tried to reset BIOS by clearing the CMOS using the jumpers...I removed the jumper from pins 1/2 and moved them to pins 2/3...Let it set for 1 minute or more and then moved back to pins 1/2...Plugged the computer in and fired it up...still no change...No post/boot..

I am at a loss...When in the heck could be wrong with the pile?

Thank you in advance for any advice..

Mike

Was the power supply unplugged when you removed the board battery? If so, locate dimm slot one for your ram; Run a strap to metal to ground yourself before touching components (or get an esd strap from somewhere-they cost about $1). Remove the other three ram sticks by pressing down on the clips on each side of the ram slot to unlock the ram, and remove each one, placing in or on top of an anti static bag, like the one any component comes in. Then try powering up again. Do not remove any other components yet; you know the problem is with the ram or the board bios settings. The less you handle the components, the better.

mkalavitz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
As a final note, I decided to bring this rig to a local computer shop. They got the computer to post/boot by resetting the BIOS by clearing the CMOS...

They then updated the BIOS to the most recent version.

They then found that one of my sticks of DDR3 memory was bad...

So, long story short is that I am up and running now....I am attempting to install
windows and getting the dredded "blue screen" after "Windows is now Starting"...

I am getting an an error that says "BAD_POOL_HEADER"...

So, now I will start a new post and do some research to try to figure this one out...

Thank you everyone for your advice on this POSTING/BOOTING problem that I was having!

Mike

TRENDING THREADS