Disable Serial Mouse Detect via Regedit in Windows XP Pro

I've seen a document describing how to disable the serial mouse detect via
regedit in windows 2000, but it does not work for Windows XP Pro and I was
wondering if anyone knows how to do this. I have a file named sermouse.reg,
used to disable the serial mouse detect since I am using a Serial Port GPS
receiver, but I would like to know exactly what this is changing in my
registry. If anyone has any knowledge to share on how to disable the serial
mouse detect, I would greatly appreciate it. By the way, /NoSerialMice in
the boot.ini file does not work!
7 answers Last reply
More about disable serial mouse detect regedit windows

    Nevermind, I figured it out myself.

    "Tanner" wrote:

    > I've seen a document describing how to disable the serial mouse detect via
    > regedit in windows 2000, but it does not work for Windows XP Pro and I was
    > wondering if anyone knows how to do this. I have a file named sermouse.reg,
    > used to disable the serial mouse detect since I am using a Serial Port GPS
    > receiver, but I would like to know exactly what this is changing in my
    > registry. If anyone has any knowledge to share on how to disable the serial
    > mouse detect, I would greatly appreciate it. By the way, /NoSerialMice in
    > the boot.ini file does not work!
  2. Well, and how did you do it? Please share the solution, as sharing info is the very purpose of a forum.
  3. coolshark said:
    Well, and how did you do it? Please share the solution, as sharing info is the very purpose of a forum.

    Tanner is no longer here. OP's single post on this forum is from September...2004 some five years ago. How did you find (dig up) this thread?
  4. Google, of course! It one of the first threads I get when I search for a solve of this cursed problem!
    I must confess I didn't see the thread was that old. Sorry for digging it up from its grave.
    Anyway, don't you just love when people find a solution fora problem and don't bother sharing it with some other poor guys struggling for the exact same thing?
  5. I was sure it was google. Thanks for confirming that. Not noticing the post date happens a lot recently. Yeah, a lot of threads around with 'answers', but in a lot of instances only a select few have the real workable solution.
  6. Well, to end the zombification of this thread and put it to rest for good, there are the three solutions that I found over the web that actually work: www.bmw-world.ro/?p=173. I hope this helps.
  7. Site link no longer works. Still having this problem? Just found a solution to mine. I lose my touchscreen support but i'd rather have a working copy of windows w/o the crazy mouse. I booted into safe mode and disabled the COM ports. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem--even if its a temp fix to get the drivers installed in a non-safemode environment.

Configuration Mice Windows XP