Sign in with
Your question

Building a computer for a friend would love input please!

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2012 11:01:34 PM

So im building a computer for a friend and heres what i have come up with
Now keep in mind that he only has a total of $600 to play with
Parts i have left over from upgrades or recent builds
COOLER MASTER Gladiator 600
amd athlon II x4 635
Antec 500 Watt PSU --Please tell me if you think this wont be able to power the compute because im unsure if a 500 Watt psu can handle everything.
The last product that i have myself is a 120 gig harddrive that is sata ill give him that one till harddrive prices drop.

Items im buying off newegg
ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970
Motherboard Website: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_EVO/#overview
SAPPHIRE 100328L Radeon HD 6770
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM - lol i need more thermal paste
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
I checked the motherboard compatability charts and the CPU im using and the RAM i picked out are both on their as good to go! would love suggestions i would like to keep the parts im giving to him in the build because i need to get rid of them!
January 30, 2012 11:21:52 PM

Looks fine. The PSU should power the system fine. On AMD, the minimum power requirement is 450W so the Antec fits that bill. I'm assuming the PSU isn't too old, but, if it is, I suppose it might be wise to just get a brand new PSU to avoid any problems associated with PSU failure down the road.

As for the GPU, the 6770 looks good as well. One suggestion I might make is to get the 6770 from a brand like XFX who offer a lifetime warranty.

XFX HD-677X-ZNLC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've never been one to factor in GPU aesthetics into my decision making process, but if that stuff doesn't matter to you and/or your friend, then the XFX might be a wise choice.
January 30, 2012 11:43:14 PM

tyvm for that yes i am switching to that GPU i would rather him have a lifetime warrenty
!