Sign in with
Your question

My router is viewable, but not connectable.

Last response: in Networking
February 18, 2011 5:55:10 PM

I have a linksys WRT54GS2. I forgot my password, so I pushed the little reset button. I reset the router and had to configure it all again. I thought it had it configured, because you can see the router name on the "view networks" page, but it just doesn't connect for some odd reason. What could this reason be? I have my router password protected, and I am sure I typed in the correct password.
February 18, 2011 7:49:50 PM

Please clarify, your computer can't connect to the router, or the router can't connect to the modem/internet?

Have you restarted the computer after setting up the router?
m
l
February 18, 2011 8:22:50 PM

I know my question was a little hard to understand. My desktop is hard wired to the back of the router. After setting up the router, I can see the broadcasted ssid on the connections screen. I am however unable to connect to the router, even when I know my password is correct. (on my laptop)

So, My computer cannot connect to the router.
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2011 5:14:26 PM

Quote:
Please go to the cmd prompt and do the following

netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh interface ip reset C:\DAF-interface-resetlog.txt
netsh interface reset all
netsh firewall reset

Reboot your pc

Do a hard reset on your router.

Start from scratch

dadiggle, I tried everything you said, but unfortunately I am still having the same problem as before.

On my phone when I try to connect, It just gets stuck at obtaining address. On my laptop is says "validating identity", then "windows could not find a certificate to login."

Please help.
m
l
February 20, 2011 11:41:29 AM

Did you delete the connection from the laptop and set it up again? Sounds like its looking for the old setup (even if its the same password, the PSK will be different).

Same for your phone. Delete the remembered connection and setup a fresh one.
m
l
February 21, 2011 3:05:06 AM

I messed with it today, And I got it working without a password, but when I put a password in it screws up again.
m
l
February 21, 2011 5:17:59 AM

Bangu said:
I messed with it today, And I got it working without a password, but when I put a password in it screws up again.

Let's eliminate the confusion between passwords and security keys. The router password only allows you into the interface to be able to change settings. When you performed the hard reset, that password defaulted to whatever is printed in the router's manual - possibly "admin" or "password". The only other password in there is in your ISP login but as you say you got it working, that must be right. What remains is the wireless security key and you should find that under the wireless settings.

Are you saying the connection to the Internet works without a security key but will not when you set one up? Are you certain you're inputting that key properly into the laptop when trying to conenct?

m
l
February 21, 2011 4:43:10 PM

Yes the wireless security key, What is the correct settings for that? wep, wpa, or what? When it is a unsecured connection it works but secured it does not.

I am sure I have the password correct.
m
l
February 21, 2011 5:11:16 PM

WPA is the lowest level you really should have - WEP is easily hacked these days. The key will be case sensitive and probably eight characters. Change it for something else if you like. Before that, try adding the network as a Preferred one in XP in the left hand pane of the View Wireless networks form. Enter the SSID or network name, and the WPA security key - twice - and save it. It may just wander in by itself and remember the way in future.

m
l
!