Sigma Four Thirds 20D-Killer rumor

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 19, 2005 12:07:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:00:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Preddy, Sigma and Four Thirds ... somehow those three just go together
:)
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:28:45 PM

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
> Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
> an improved version of the Foveon,

I thought the existing sensor was perfect? Plus, you can count on Canon
standing still and waiting forever to bring out new products.

>manufactured by a licensed
> third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
> the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
> No wonder Sigma has been so quiet.

We liked the peace and quiet.

>This DSLR is going to be HOT.

Sometimes vapor is hot, yes. In the meantime, hot rumors will do.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 19, 2005 5:08:53 PM

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
> Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
> an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
> third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
> the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
> No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.

Oh Dear.

Another politician, snake oil salesman with More Pie in the Sky.

The Proof of the Pudding is in the Eating as my old granny used to say.

A Hot camera can be an indication of a Short Circuit in the PCB and that can
be very serious and even fatal (for the camera).

Roy G
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:26:49 PM

In rec.photo.digital George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
> Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
> an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
> third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
> the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
> No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.

After seeing other recent posts by you, I think it is simple safe to say
.... LIAR.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
May 19, 2005 7:42:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
are going to be 20D killers in all aspects."

They're going to have a Canon EF lens mount?
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 8:21:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

HeHeHeHeHe

So true ...!

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
> Preddy, Sigma and Four Thirds ... somehow those three just go together
> :)

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 8:25:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 19 May 2005 08:07:04 +0200, George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
>Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
>an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
>third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
>the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
>No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.

Honestly, if the Fuji S3 with it's sensor hasn't killed the CMOSers,
then I doubt any Foveon sensor will. But I will be interested in
seeing what kind of pricing Sigma is going to go with. Their current
offering is an enigma; A pricey camera with arguably out of of date
specs.
-Rich
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:39:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Not that I believe a word of rumours coming from a long-discredited
source (or a trolling wannabe)..

But there I was, thinking that the 4/3 format actually had a real
chance of being the next big thing if only another big manufacturer
really got serious about it, and they got a decent sensor. If this is
actually true, and Sigma/Foveon puts their camera and sensor
`technology` (for want of a better phrase) behind it, it is DOOMED.

Oh well, I'd love to be proven wrong..

Stop Press!! (Forgive my flippancy) Hey, maybe George is right - look
what I found!!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0009/00091102foveon16mp.as...

Yes, "Foveon to challenge with 16 megapixels", says the headline. FROM
SEPTEMBER 2000. (O:

That's nearly 5 years ago, George. And here we are, *further away* by
the look of it, because all we have now is your rumour. No new press
release..
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:59:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"TAFKAB" <TheArtist@FormerlyKnownAs.Bowser> wrote in
news:o g2je.4$2J3.1@bos-service2.ext.ray.com:

> "George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
>> released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
>> supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon,
>
> I thought the existing sensor was perfect?

Best available on the market does not equal perfection. There is
always room for improvement in one area or another.

> Plus, you can count on Canon standing still and waiting forever to
> bring out new products.

Yeah, more of the usual junk.
May 19, 2005 11:31:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

You get funnier every day Preddy - You should have your own comedy blog.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
> Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
> an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
> third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
> the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
> No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:04:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Where have you been for the past while, George?

Wherever it was the treatment clearly didn't work.

I'd ask for my money back if I were you.

Carrigman
May 20, 2005 12:42:08 AM

George Preddy wrote:

> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
> Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
> an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
> third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
> the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
> No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.

Thanks for the information. I must say that this info is helpful, but
it also clouds the buying process for an already confused first time
digital SLR buyer. :-(

(I had decided to buy the Oly Evolt, after months of research, and now
this.)
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:19:41 AM

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In rec.photo.digital George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
> > Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
> > an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
> > third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
> > the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
> > No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.
>
> After seeing other recent posts by you, I think it is simple safe to say
> ... LIAR.

Actually Sigma is supposed to be releasing a new digital SLR. I have heard
it referred to as the SD7 and the SD20. There may actually be two new
models, both with the same sensor, but one will be entry-level and one will
be prosumer. It reportedly will use a new 5.2 megapixel/15.6
megaphotodetctor, Foveon sensor, with a 1.5 crop factor.

Whether this is actually is going to happen, is unknown. I have also heard
that Foveon is concentrating on sensors for embedded applications such as
cell phones, where image quality is less important than in SLRs or compact
digital cameras, and has given up on the standalone digital camera market.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:19:42 AM

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In rec.photo.digital George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
>>> released
>>> Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to
>>> be
>>> an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
>>> third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
>>> the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
>>> No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.
>>
>> After seeing other recent posts by you, I think it is simple safe
>> say ... LIAR.
>
> Actually Sigma is supposed to be releasing a new digital SLR. I have
> heard it referred to as the SD7 and the SD20. There may actually be
> two new models, both with the same sensor, but one will be
> entry-level and one will be prosumer. It reportedly will use a new
> 5.2 megapixel/15.6 megaphotodetctor, Foveon sensor, with a 1.5 crop
> factor.
>
> Whether this is actually is going to happen, is unknown.

When you write a sentence like this, do you mean what you say? " ...
is unknown." NO one knows?
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:48:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message

> an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed

Improved and Foveon, words to conjure with. It would, from what I've seen
and heard, be extraordinarily difficult to make it any worse. Any change
whatsoever could only possibly be an improvement. I wonder if this
improvement might possibly include an increase to the same number of
megapixels that even the cheapest P&S cameras offer? Will this new Sigma
possibly provide, for the first time ever, a true flesh tone?
H.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:48:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

RichA <none@none.com> wrote in

> On 19 May 2005 08:07:04 +0200, George Preddy
> <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
>>released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
>>supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by
>>a licensed third-party company. The announcement will probably
>>happen before the end of this summer, for a November or December
>>shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is
>>going to be HOT.
>
> Honestly, if the Fuji S3 with it's sensor hasn't killed the
> CMOSers, then I doubt any Foveon sensor will. But I will be
> interested in seeing what kind of pricing Sigma is going to go
> with. Their current offering is an enigma; A pricey camera with
> arguably out of of date specs.

The Sigma SD10 remains the best DSLR to this date, with the possible
exceptions of a few medium format digital backs. I agree that the
price of a new SD10 body (if you can find one) might appear to be
high if you compare it to consumer digital bodies from the other
manufacturers, but if you compare it to other pro models the value
is simply unbeatable.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:48:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message

> price of a new SD10 body (if you can find one)

I have never seen one. I heard from a colleague that an independent
retailer not far from where I live was stuck with the one and only one that
he bought in to see if it would sell. It didn't. Sigmas just don't cut it.
Hannah.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:48:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <Xns965BABBD0523DxxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@81.174.12.30>, George
Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Sigma SD10 remains the best DSLR to this date, with the possible
> exceptions of a few medium format digital backs. I agree that the
> price of a new SD10 body (if you can find one) might appear to be
> high if you compare it to consumer digital bodies from the other
> manufacturers, but if you compare it to other pro models the value
> is simply unbeatable.

Oh yeah! Nothing like an overpriced 3.42MP kiddie toy.
May 20, 2005 3:32:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

And if you compare it to the space program it is downright cheap.
Unfortunately what it compares best to is a box camera with a bad lens,
making the Sigma an very bad bargain indeed.
--

> RichA <none@none.com> wrote in
>
> > On 19 May 2005 08:07:04 +0200, George Preddy
> > <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
> >>released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
> >>supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by
> >>a licensed third-party company. The announcement will probably
> >>happen before the end of this summer, for a November or December
> >>shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is
> >>going to be HOT.
> >
> > Honestly, if the Fuji S3 with it's sensor hasn't killed the
> > CMOSers, then I doubt any Foveon sensor will. But I will be
> > interested in seeing what kind of pricing Sigma is going to go
> > with. Their current offering is an enigma; A pricey camera with
> > arguably out of of date specs.
>
> The Sigma SD10 remains the best DSLR to this date, with the possible
> exceptions of a few medium format digital backs. I agree that the
> price of a new SD10 body (if you can find one) might appear to be
> high if you compare it to consumer digital bodies from the other
> manufacturers, but if you compare it to other pro models the value
> is simply unbeatable.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:51:22 AM

"Hannah" <hannah@example.com> wrote in message
news:p oydnexXpO87lBDfRVnytA@pipex.net...

> "George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
>
> Improved and Foveon, words to conjure with. It would, from what I've seen
> and heard, be extraordinarily difficult to make it any worse. Any change
> whatsoever could only possibly be an improvement.

This is correct. The Sigma SD9 and SD10 are ranked as the worst of the worst
among digital SLRs, and much of this is due to the sensor's low resolution,
poor color separation, and high noise levels. Sigma doesn't even register in
terms of market share, being well under 1/10 of 1%.

Unless Sigma comes out with a camera with a Canon or Nikon lens mount, they
have no chance of succeeding. It's not just the body that matters, it's
lenses as well, and the Sigma lenses are not well-regarded. Personally I'd
love to see some more competition in the digital SLR market, since
domination by Canon and Nikon will lead to higher prices as they engage in
"gentle collusion." Judging from the previous Sigma cameras, I wouldn't hold
my breath that Sigma will provide that competition. It's too bad, everyone
was rooting for Foveon, but silicon color separation proved to be more
problematic than anticipated.

A 5.2 megapixel Foveon sensor would be a big improvement over the present
3.4 megapixel sensor used in the Sigma SD9 and SD10, but Canon is already at
8 megapixels and Nikon is at 6 megapixels. Not many people are dumb enough
to fall for the x3 pixel count numbers that have been promulgated by Sigma.

For the facts about Sigma digital SLRs, please visit http://sigmasd10.com.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:55:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in

> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In rec.photo.digital George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
>> > released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
>> > supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured
>> > by a licensed third-party company. The announcement will
>> > probably happen before the end of this summer, for a November
>> > or December shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet.
>> > This DSLR is going to be HOT.
>>
>> After seeing other recent posts by you, I think it is simple safe
>> to say ... LIAR.
>
> Actually Sigma is supposed to be releasing a new digital SLR. I
> have heard it referred to as the SD7 and the SD20. There may
> actually be two new models, both with the same sensor, but one
> will be entry-level and one will be prosumer. It reportedly will
> use a new 5.2 megapixel/15.6 megaphotodetctor, Foveon sensor, with
> a 1.5 crop factor.

Correct. Sigma will also be releasing a new body that can be used
with all of their existing lenses, as well as the Four Thirds body
and full range of lenses for the Four Thirds platform.

> Whether this is actually is going to happen, is unknown.

My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
are going to be 20D killers in all aspects. Expect the
announcements before the end of this summer.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:55:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <Xns965BB707BD05xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@81.174.12.30>,
George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:

>My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
>are going to be 20D killers in all aspects.

Especially if you live in the land of the cheese-people.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:55:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:28:43 GMT, Chris Brown
<cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:

>In article <Xns965BB707BD05xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@81.174.12.30>,
>George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
>>are going to be 20D killers in all aspects.
>
>Especially if you live in the land of the cheese-people.

Well, if the 3.4 megapixel images from the SD10 compare well
to the 6 megapixel images from the Canon 10D and Nikon D100,
it seems reasonable that a 5 meg version will do alright.
-Rich
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:55:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <8daq8157ct7p2ancq0m8dd07rutcm8mffs@4ax.com>, RichA
<none@none.com> wrote:

> Well, if the 3.4 megapixel images from the SD10 compare well
> to the 6 megapixel images from the Canon 10D and Nikon D100,
> it seems reasonable that a 5 meg version will do alright.

You like those Homer Simpson skin tones too?
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:34:13 AM

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> Unless Sigma comes out with a camera with a Canon or Nikon lens mount, they
> have no chance of succeeding. It's not just the body that matters, it's
> lenses as well, and the Sigma lenses are not well-regarded. Personally I'd
> love to see some more competition in the digital SLR market, since

hey wait a minuit, what is wrong with sigma lenses.

although I have a Canon 20d, I also have sigma lens 12-24mm, and i find
it beats my canon lens.. sharp as a tack, and no colour fringing in
extreme blowups.

I just wish it would take a proper polariser.. (it has a circular hood
that fits over its petal hood, which is supposed to take a 82 mm
polariser, but anything put in that position causes vignetting...

I am trying to get a canon eos body to try film in it as it covers full
frame. unbelievable.

regards

sandy
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:34:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <9gaje.8701$E7.8651@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Sandy
Barrie <apbarrie@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> hey wait a minuit, what is wrong with sigma lenses.

They're ca-ca.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:06:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"James Of Tucson" <james0tucson@gmail.com> wrote in

> "The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
> are going to be 20D killers in all aspects."
>
> They're going to have a Canon EF lens mount?

The Four Thirds body will have the standard Four Thirds mount. The
Oly lenses are so so, but Sigma will also be releasing a full line
of Four Thirds lenses and accessories. When that happens, expect
Four Thirds to really take off.

The successor to the SD10 will have the standard Sigma mount.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:27:05 AM

"Norman" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2fvjd8b68dg001@privacy.net:

> George Preddy wrote:
>
>> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
>> released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
>> supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by
>> a licensed third-party company. The announcement will probably
>> happen before the end of this summer, for a November or December
>> shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is
>> going to be HOT.
>
> Thanks for the information. I must say that this info is helpful,
> but it also clouds the buying process for an already confused
> first time digital SLR buyer. :-(
>
> (I had decided to buy the Oly Evolt, after months of research, and
> now this.)

The Oly lenses are acceptable until the Sigma Four Thirds glass is
released, but the bodies are not quite there yet. I would wait for
the Sigma. If you want to buy a DSLR now and you don't want to wait,
you can find really good deals on the Sigma SD9 and SD10 if you look
around.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:27:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 19 May 2005 23:55:34 +0200, George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in
>
>> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> After seeing other recent posts by you, I think it is simple safe
>>> to say ... LIAR.
>>
>> Actually Sigma is supposed to be releasing a new digital SLR. I
>> have heard it referred to as the SD7 and the SD20. There may
>> actually be two new models, both with the same sensor, but one
>> will be entry-level and one will be prosumer. It reportedly will
>> use a new 5.2 megapixel/15.6 megaphotodetctor, Foveon sensor, with
>> a 1.5 crop factor.
>
>Correct. Sigma will also be releasing a new body that can be used
>with all of their existing lenses, as well as the Four Thirds body
>and full range of lenses for the Four Thirds platform.
>
>> Whether this is actually is going to happen, is unknown.
>
>My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
>are going to be 20D killers in all aspects. Expect the
>announcements before the end of this summer.

Preddy, nothing about you or anything you have to say is credible

May 20, 2005 7:14:04 AM

Just look at those mag ads! They DO look a little like a dull Homer...

On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:24:20 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
<rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>In article <8daq8157ct7p2ancq0m8dd07rutcm8mffs@4ax.com>, RichA
><none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, if the 3.4 megapixel images from the SD10 compare well
>> to the 6 megapixel images from the Canon 10D and Nikon D100,
>> it seems reasonable that a 5 meg version will do alright.
>
>You like those Homer Simpson skin tones too?
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:07:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

>The Four Thirds body will have the standard Four Thirds mount.

How can it be "the Canon killer" if it can't match the lenses?
You're not trying to suggest that Sigma lenses are better than Canon
are you?

I'm responding to

> "The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
> are going to be 20D killers in all aspects."

The lenses are one of the most important "aspects", you know.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:27:07 PM

"Norman" <me@privacy.net> writes:
> George Preddy wrote:

>> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
>> released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
>> supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by
>> a licensed third-party company. The announcement will probably
>> happen before the end of this summer, for a November or December
>> shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is
>> going to be HOT.

> Thanks for the information. I must say that this info is helpful,

You should know that the person that posts under the alias "George
Preddy" (real name Steve Giovanella) is not known for the accuracy
of his information.
May 20, 2005 12:30:20 PM

RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:28:43 GMT, Chris Brown
><cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <Xns965BB707BD05xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@81.174.12.30>,
>>George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
>>>are going to be 20D killers in all aspects.
>>
>>Especially if you live in the land of the cheese-people.
>
>Well, if the 3.4 megapixel images from the SD10 compare well
>to the 6 megapixel images from the Canon 10D and Nikon D100,

That's a big "if". The results do rather tend to be subject dependent. If
you happen to pick a subject which doesn't provoke the aliasing and strange
colour rendition problems that the SD9/10 are prone to, then they do a
decent job. On other subjects, they're rather nasty.

Be interesting to see if Sigma do actually come out with anything, it's
entirely possible that "George" is blowing hot air - it's very doubtful that
he's reporting anything more than whispered rumours (he's an ex-Amiga
fanatic, and they used to revel in this sort of thing, but hardly any of it
was anything other than vapourware). If something does emerge, and they're
sticking with a Foveon sensor, one would hope that the duo have managed to
do a better job than their previous, somewhat inconsistent efforts.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:13:02 PM

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> And if you compare it to the space program it is downright cheap.
> Unfortunately what it compares best to is a box camera with a bad lens,
> making the Sigma an very bad bargain indeed.

That's an insult to box cameras: most are large enough formats that (if you
stop them down, shoot decent film, and scan on a Nikon 8000) they'll make
far better images than Sigma dSLRs can dream of.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:32:34 PM

"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote:
> Chris Brown wrote:
> >George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
> >>are going to be 20D killers in all aspects.
> >
> >Especially if you live in the land of the cheese-people.
>
> Well, if the 3.4 megapixel images from the SD10 compare well
> to the 6 megapixel images from the Canon 10D and Nikon D100,
> it seems reasonable that a 5 meg version will do alright.

Not unless they fix the yellow skin tone rendering problem. (And the images
only "compare well" if you don't mind gross aliasing artifacts in all your
images.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:53:10 PM

"Sandy Barrie" <apbarrie@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>
> > Unless Sigma comes out with a camera with a Canon or Nikon lens mount,
they
> > have no chance of succeeding. It's not just the body that matters, it's
> > lenses as well, and the Sigma lenses are not well-regarded. Personally
I'd
> > love to see some more competition in the digital SLR market, since
>
> hey wait a minuit, what is wrong with sigma lenses.

Limited selection. Sigma mainly makes lenses that fill niches that the big
boys don't.

> although I have a Canon 20d, I also have sigma lens 12-24mm, and i find
> it beats my canon lens.. sharp as a tack, and no colour fringing in
> extreme blowups.

It doesn't beat the 10-22. But on a full-frame camera, it's the only game in
town.

> I just wish it would take a proper polariser.. (it has a circular hood
> that fits over its petal hood, which is supposed to take a 82 mm
> polariser, but anything put in that position causes vignetting...

The 10-22 can use a 77mm polarizer.

> I am trying to get a canon eos body to try film in it as it covers full
> frame. unbelievable.

That's why I didn't buy that lens: I was worried I wouldn't shoot any
digital...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:31:41 PM

> The successor to the SD10 will have the standard Sigma mount.

Ah right, that's a good move by Sigma. So their new "camera" is doomed to
failure even before it's anounced then.
Hannah.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:31:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <yf-dnUG2KMp0MxDfRVnytQ@pipex.net>, Hannah
<hannah@example.com> wrote:

> "George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The successor to the SD10 will have the standard Sigma mount.
> >

> Ah right, that's a good move by Sigma. So their new "camera" is doomed to
> failure even before it's anounced then.
> Hannah.

Using "Sigma" and "standard" in the same sentence...HAHA.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:12:48 PM

George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
> Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
> an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
> third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
> the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
> No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.

What happend to the SD11 your persona "Georgette Preddy" announced
in August 2004?

Some quotes:
"Rumor is the SD11(?) will sell for $650 street with same pro DSLR
body as the Kodak 14 slr/c and SD10, but with the new 3rd
generation Foveon sensor."

"This is the much anticapated 3rd generation Foveon chip, but the
body is probably going to be very similar or the same. Most think
the move is to set up the 17.55MP model which follows shortly."
May 20, 2005 3:12:49 PM

"Gisle Hannemyr" <gisle+news@ifi.uio.no> wrote in message

> What happend to the SD11 your persona "Georgette Preddy" announced
> in August 2004?
>
> Some quotes:
> "Rumor is the SD11(?) will sell for $650 street with same pro DSLR
> body as the Kodak 14 slr/c and SD10, but with the new 3rd
> generation Foveon sensor."
>
> "This is the much anticapated 3rd generation Foveon chip, but the
> body is probably going to be very similar or the same. Most think
> the move is to set up the 17.55MP model which follows shortly."
> --

George made the mistake of eating cheese at bedtime. Everybody knows that
causes vivid and weird dreams.
H.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:21:49 PM

Norman wrote:

> Thanks for the information. I must say that this info is helpful, but
> it also clouds the buying process for an already confused first time
> digital SLR buyer. :-(
>
> (I had decided to buy the Oly Evolt, after months of research, and now
> this.)

Go ahead and buy one. I just bought an E-300, and contrary to what some
people here have to say, it works fine. There is always going to be
something "better" just around the corner.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:19:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Since Sigma has hardly been mentioned here in months would it
be fair to say that the 20D was a Sigma-Killer?

I'll bet Canon is quaking in terror as we speak. LOL!
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:49:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

If you compare some of the MTF that Sigma publishes versus the digital
Zuiko, for example, the 50-200 zooms, the Oly lens have the same
contrast at 60 lp/mm that the Sigma has at 30 lp/mm. If the Oly lens
are so so, I'll have to say "Sigma, I'm sorry."

George Preddy wrote:
> "James Of Tucson" <james0tucson@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > "The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
> > are going to be 20D killers in all aspects."
> >
> > They're going to have a Canon EF lens mount?
>
> The Four Thirds body will have the standard Four Thirds mount. The
> Oly lenses are so so, but Sigma will also be releasing a full line
> of Four Thirds lenses and accessories. When that happens, expect
> Four Thirds to really take off.
>
> The successor to the SD10 will have the standard Sigma mount.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:28:44 PM

> Well, if the 3.4 megapixel images from the SD10 compare well
> to the 6 megapixel images from the Canon 10D and Nikon D100,
> it seems reasonable that a 5 meg version will do alright.

It is not a reasonable conclusion. First of all, the SD9 and SD10 are
regarded by experts as the worst of the worst, among digital SLRs. However
this doesn't mean that a 5.2 megapixel digital SLR will necessarily be as
bad. The low resolution of the sensor was not the main problem with the
Sigma SD9 or SD10; the main problems were noise, and poor color accuracy.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 10:43:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> I'd have saved myself more money than I want to think about now. Still, I
> guess I leaved a valuable (expensive?) lesson.

And of course the resale value on Sigma lenses is terrible (unlike Canon and
Nikon lenses which can fetch 80-90% of their new price, if they are in good
condition.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 10:46:10 PM

"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in message

> Go ahead and buy one. I just bought an E-300, and contrary to what some
> people here have to say, it works fine. There is always going to be
> something "better" just around the corner.

No one ever said that the E-300 didn't work, just that it wasn't the optimal
choice among what is currently available (not around the corner).
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 12:30:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in

> Norman wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the information. I must say that this info is
> > helpful, but
>> it also clouds the buying process for an already confused first
>> time digital SLR buyer. :-(
>>
>> (I had decided to buy the Oly Evolt, after months of research,
>> and now this.)
>
> Go ahead and buy one. I just bought an E-300, and contrary to what
> some people here have to say, it works fine. There is always going
> to be something "better" just around the corner.

It probably won't hurt if he buys an Oly body since the Four Thirds
platform is universal and he will be able to use any lenses and
accessories he picks up on the Sigma body, when released, but the
resale value and market for a used EVOLT is going to be slim and
scarce.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 12:30:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message

> It probably won't hurt if he buys an Oly body since the Four Thirds
> platform is universal and he will be able to use any lenses and
> accessories he picks up on the Sigma body, when released, but the
> resale value and market for a used EVOLT is going to be slim and
> scarce.

You can't get much poorer resale value than Sigma. I watched an eBay auction
with amusement, as the seller (who had purchased a Canon 20D) listed his
used SD10 outfit three times, with a reserve price beyond all reason. He
rejected a $1000 bid for an outfit that he paid $2500 for (three lenses,
R-CRV3 batteries and charger, flash, hoods, etc), and that B&H would have
given him $425 for, and would have sold for about $850.

Canon and Nikon digital SLRs and lenses have excellent resale value.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 12:30:34 AM

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> You can't get much poorer resale value than Sigma. I watched an eBay
auction
> with amusement, as the seller (who had purchased a Canon 20D) listed his
> used SD10 outfit three times, with a reserve price beyond all reason. He
> rejected a $1000 bid for an outfit that he paid $2500 for (three lenses,
> R-CRV3 batteries and charger, flash, hoods, etc), and that B&H would have
> given him $425 for, and would have sold for about $850.
>
> Canon and Nikon digital SLRs and lenses have excellent resale value.

I am almost completely unconcerned about resale value. I tend to buy
something, and keep it until it bursts into flames. I still have the
Minolta X-700 that I bought in the early 80s. And it also works fine. :)

AAMOF, I just bought a Minolta SRT-201 on eBay, since I always wanted
one when I was taking photography in High School, and it was pretty
cheap, and it works with the Minolta MD lenses I already have for my X-700.
    • 1 / 10
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4