Sign in with
Your question

First PC build, checking component compatibility and functionality

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2012 11:22:11 PM

Hi, I'm looking to re-acquaint myself with all things tech, and I figured a good way to start would be to build my own computer. After that I'll work on programming and small device and 3D printer assembly. So in many ways this is an effort to learn by doing. I've put together a component list and would like some people more knowledgeable than me to check and make sure that everything will indeed work together and function. I prefer using dual monitors, and believe this system will let me do that after I add a VGA splitter to handle the feeds.

As far as the OS goes, I'd like to try Ubuntu or Linux (assuming I can make them work), but if I have too many problems I can always just buy Windows 7.

Performance wise I want to be able to do programming, run productivity and business software, and engage in some casual gaming. Diablo III is about as high end on the games as I am planning to go, and I don't care about max settings or extremely high resolution levels.

I'm not sure about the graphics card or the power supply, I think one might be too weak, and the other more than I need. Completely open to advice/suggestions about these and any other components that appear problematic or troublesome. I've copy/pasted the format from the "How to ask for help" thread below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approximate Purchase Date: within the next ten days

Budget Range: <$900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: productivity/programming, gaming, internet/media usage (as far as gaming goes, I'd like to be able to run Diablo III, but maxing out the settings isn't really that big of a concern for me)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: open to any, been using Amazon.com since they seem to have the best prices

Parts Preferences: completely new to this, so no idea, but this is what I'm looking at using right now:

Asus P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Intel Motherboard

Evga GeForce GT 430 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1430-LR

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX

Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor

Corsair Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

GAMMA Classic Series ATX Mid Tower Interior Steel Chassis (Black)

Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Coolmax 700W Dual-Fan Power Supply CTI-700B

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe - honestly not sure what these are

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: I'm new, ignorant, and fully aware of both. Any and all suggestions will be welcomed with an open mind. Thanks for any and all advice.
January 31, 2012 12:02:24 AM

I wouldn't trust a Coolmax unit to power my system. Try this PSU from a top notch brand:

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, I read a post on here not too long ago about how RAM greater than 1333 can void your warranty with Intel or something. Therefore, I would recommend this RAM:

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BA1339 $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
January 31, 2012 3:58:53 AM

Thanks for the tips hp, I never would have caught the 1600 vs. 1333 point on my own. And I didn't realize Coolmax was only semi-reliable.

I switched to a 240 pin corsair xms3 8gb 1333 pc3 memory kit, and a OCZ 700W ModXstream pro power supply. (with rebates they come out cheaper than the two you recommended, and I'm cool with the bigger power supply since I plan on adding more stuff to the system later).
m
l
!