Closed Solved

Need advice on a $1000-1400 build

Hey guys, I came into some money since my last thread, so here goes.

Approximate Purchase Date: About a month

Budget Range: Have $1200, can get up to $1400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, browsing

Parts Not Required: I have keyboard, mouse, dvd drive, wireless adapter, windows 7, and a 15" monitor, but a bigger monitor would be great
Also, I have an EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb laying around, idk how well it will do.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any trusted websites

Parts Preferences: I know you guys don't like it, but I want:

Corsair Vengeance 16gb ram(4x4gb)

This IN WIN Dragon Rider case

quad core, over 3ghz processor

Overclocking: Maybe, a plus for the future...

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Depends on monitor

Additional Comments: I really want a high end gaming computer.
I have a possible build worked out on pcpartpicker:
Possible build It doesn't have a monitor or video card on there because I have no idea what to choose.

Anyways, really hope you guys can help me with the build.

Edit: grammar, spelling
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice 1000 1400 build
  1. I recommend a lower profile ram. I recommend the 1.25v G.Skill Sniper 2x 4gb. Speaking of ram, 16gb is too much for gaming.
    I also recommend dropping the large hdd for now until the prices drop. For now, a 500gb hdd is enough. If you have a spare one you can use that too.
    A good gpu is the 570 fermi.
  2. Also, will all of these parts work with each other?
  3. Everything is compatible.
  4. azeem40 said:
    I recommend a lower profile ram. I recommend the 1.25v G.Skill Sniper 2x 4gb. Speaking of ram, 16gb is too much for gaming.
    I also recommend dropping the large hdd for now until the prices drop. For now, a 500gb hdd is enough. If you have a spare one you can use that too.
    A good gpu is the 570 fermi.

No, I definitely need 2TB, I have two completely full 2TB external hard drives sitting on my desk right now...
    As for ram, will 16gb necessarily be a bad thing, as in, will it worsen performance? I do a lot of activities that require a lot of ram, and 8gb is easily being completely used on my current rig.

If I do get a 570, do you think anything will be bottle-necking my system? If so, what?
  5. Ignore post. ACCIDENTAL double post.
  6. Best answer
    Nothing will bottleneck. Oops, forgot you mentioned vid editing. In that case, get the i7-2600k. Hyperthreading helps a lot in that.
  7. azeem40 said:
    Nothing will bottleneck. What all do you do?

Well, host servers for one..
    As well as playing on said servers, recording gameplay, having rainmeter, rocketdock, etc running on 2-3 monitors, and always having steam, skype, and google chrome open(usually uploading videos)

They aren't necessary things, but things that I would love to do carefree, not having to stop some to worry about fps in the games and recorded gameplay
  8. The only problem now is the price is over budget. What psu would I need for this build?
    Updated build
  9. Do you live near a Microcenter? If so, you can get the i7-2600k for $280 and $50 off the motherboard.

For power supply, since you might SLI in the future, the Antec Earthwatts 750W PSU for $85 is of great quality and value.
  10. Best answer selected by Mysterious_X.
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Monitors Systems Product