Sign in with
Your question

Switching between monitor and tv

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2011 12:33:27 PM

I use my pc in one room but have it hooked up to our tv in the living room doubled as an htpc with wireless mouse/keyboard. I used to have a monitor that ran in 1440x900 and the tv I have which is an older 32" insignia 720p tv would run that resolution fine. I would just turn the tv on and be able to view my desktop without a problem. However I just got a 23" 1920x1080 monitor and the tv wont recognize that resolution. If I turn down the resolution its fine. Obviously I can set to extend the monitors so I can have 2 different resolutions but I dont want to do that. I just want to have a single display that I can switch back and forth. I dont need both on at the same time.

My question, is there any way or any program or possibly a reg edit out there that I can either force the tv to display what my main screen is showing or maybe somehow have the computer detect that if I turn my main monitor off, it will display on the tv if its on and auto change the resolution? I dont want to have to change the resolution every time I want to switch back and forth. Also my fiancee uses it and I want it to be as simple as possible for her. The simple solution would be to buy a better tv but I cant do that right now :-P

Card is a GTX 260

More about : switching monitor

a c 181 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 2, 2011 1:30:08 AM

This is just a thought. I am by no way an expert on this. I can feel what you are wanting to do.

Do you have to keep the RES on the monitor at 1920x1080? could you go into the Nvidia control pannel and dile the RES down to what your TV can handle and just leave it there. If you want to use the 1920x1080 when on the monitor then chage it for only that reason. Or just leave it untill you can buy a new TV. It is just a thought and out side of that I don't know if they have programs out there. You would think with how far advanced in TECH we are it could be possible. I wish you the best of luck on this.
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b x TV
a b C Monitor
December 2, 2011 11:39:23 AM

I'm running a similar situation with an ATI HD4670, Olevia 232T 720p HDTV, and an Optoma HD20 1080p projector.

Check to see if there is an option in your NVidia control panel for setting up a hot-key to swap displays (essentially toggle which monitor is the primary). If there is an option for something like that, run on Extended Mode and just use the hot-key to swap displays.

-Wolf sends
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2011 7:49:50 PM

I'm not seeing that in my options in the nvidia control panel. But that is exactly what I'm looking for. A hot key I can hit on our HTPC keyboard that will switch the primary monitor to the tv for when we're in that room. Is there a program out there that will do this?
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b x TV
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2011 9:04:16 PM

Hmm... Looked into my NVidia control panel and didn't find any way to set up a hot-key toggle. Apparently, NVidia hasn't set that up for Windows 7 yet. Did a little more searching around and found this thread: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_a...

Seems to be exactly what you're looking for. The coder is actually an active member over at http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/ if you want to drop by over there and ask him a few questions.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 6, 2011 3:56:29 AM

In my Nvidia control panel under change resolution you can dial your card down to just about any resolution.

I have to do it for some games. I don't really know anything about a hot key in there. What Wolfshadw said I would explore that as well. Good luck
m
l
!