AMD Sempron 145 or Athlon X2 260

abhimanyuchawla

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hello

I'm building an ultra-budget PC for home use. Usage would include internet browsing, office, music and C++ coding. NO GAMING at all.
I'm confused between AMD Sempron 145 and Athlon X2 260. I do not intend to upgrade it, would just use it for a year or two.
How well does Sempron 145 compare with Athlon 260?
With th cost difference in the two I can have Sempron 145 with 4GB RAM where as if I go for Athlon X2 260 I can go for 2GB RAM as per my budget. Which combination would be better? Other parts (mobo, HDD etc) remaining the same?

Or do I have some other better low-cost processor-mobo alternatives?

You might get lucky and be able to unlock the second core on the sempron, but I've had no such luck with two 140 cpus. I can't tell the difference between the sempron and regor, and I do the same things on my pc. If you have an oem board by hp, dell, etc. then you won't have the option to try unlocking. For many other boards, this feature will be listed at newegg or on the board's webpage. But the sempron has gotten expensive. Even frys is charging $35 for new ones, and newegg about $40. I look for used amd cpus on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum. I paid $30 for my last regor 255 used.

abhimanyuchawla

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

Are you sure I wont feel any difference between Sempron and Athlon for office use and little multitasking, like a few windows of firefox, word, excel, music at the same time?

Dual core Athlon X2 260 @ 3.2Ghz should have more than double the performance of the single core Sempron 145 @ 2.8Ghz.

You would notice the difference.