Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bandwidth Problem Due to a Certain PC?

Last response: in Networking
February 19, 2011 12:11:10 AM

Hey, asking for help here cause I have nobody else to run too. Also forgive my ignorance.

I have been connecting 3 PC's to an AT&T Router/Modem 2Wire, and it has been fine. My father got a new PC from his work, and about the time he got that PC, we have been experiencing bandwidth problems. Running computer games at 800ms Ping; very sluggish internet speed, ect.

We first blamed AT&T and called them twice with 5 days in between. They had us disconnect all pc's except for one, and run a bandwidth test both times. This turned out to speed up everything to normal rates. Then they told us we needed to upgrade our 3Mb/s to a higher service. (the only other service they offered was 6Mb/s). Well, we could afford the 5$ increase, and although feeling like we might have been scammed, we bought the higher service after the second call. This did not help at all, when one PC was connected, the rate was clearly faster - but that is it.

We haven't called AT&T back because we realize they will blame the computer, in which they may be right. My best guess now is that my fathers PC is sucking up 100% of the bandwidth, and when I or anyone else use the internet, its slow. Also when he is connected and I begin to use it, it becomes slow for me.

I understand this isn't a very specific question, but is there some setting that my fathers PC needs changed, Is the Modem/Router broken or screwy? ( we haven't reset it, we keep rebooting it but no effect) This is extremely frustrating, does anyone have any help whatsoever? Its been about 3 weeks.

More about : bandwidth problem due

February 19, 2011 1:46:31 PM

have you checked for Malware?

boot your father's computer into "Save Mode with Networking".

download a software called Malwarebytes.
install it, update it, and run a Full Scan.
m
l
February 19, 2011 8:04:42 PM

Malware on the computer or the router. I don't know much about routers/modems or whatever but I believe they have a firewall so i guess the modem is possible to be infected?

My fathers computer is brand new and 90% sure he wouldn't have a problem. I myself Just built a computer last weekend so I'm completely clean. I'm going to reset the device and find the password ect..
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2011 8:49:48 PM

on your father's computer.

it only takes one wrong on a Pop-up window which surfing the internet or a bad email to infect you computer with a virus or malware.
m
l

Best solution

February 21, 2011 5:57:16 PM

just install a bandwidth monitoring application on both PCs. I know you can get a free widget for Vista/7.

From your description, it's malware or P2P. pings aren't magically that high
February 22, 2011 12:52:40 PM

Best answer selected by swizzle62.
m
l
!