Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Settled on Z68 - which GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2011 3:47:10 PM

I have not purchased the mobo (or case) yet - so they can flex if necessary. (like ASUS currently - maybe HAF for the case, but how noisy is it?)

Highest intensity use = gaming...suffice it to say I don't want a "just good enough" solution - I did that 10 months ago with an HP Elite. grrr

GPU(s):
So far, it looks like GTX 570 is the best bang for the buck. (Looking to purchase before the end of the year)
So then, what is the benefit of 2.5G vs. 1.2G? performance? multi-display? Tempted to go with the nominal cost increase just to have more. (in case)
Next, what is the benefit of 2 GPUs? performance? multi-display? Will get one now, but want the mobo and card to handle this possible future upgrade. ...and is the 570 a good candidate from the multiple GPU perspective? Also, mobo slots? Case real estate?
Finally, at what point do I need to start worrying about temperature? Do you cool the GPUs - or just get a case that moves a lot of air? (who makes "quiet" high air-flow cases?!)

Also, what does SLI do for me? Or is that a non-concern? I gues that's a "performance/multi-display" question again.

I apologize if this is basic - it's been about 2 decades since I played "techie" and I want to have a little fun! (There's no good TV anymore - lol)

Thanks in advance!!

More about : settled z68 gpu

December 1, 2011 4:24:32 PM

ellmo said:
I have not purchased the mobo (or case) yet - so they can flex if necessary. (like ASUS currently - maybe HAF for the case, but how noisy is it?)

Highest intensity use = gaming...suffice it to say I don't want a "just good enough" solution - I did that 10 months ago with an HP Elite. grrr

GPU(s):
So far, it looks like GTX 570 is the best bang for the buck. (Looking to purchase before the end of the year)
So then, what is the benefit of 2.5G vs. 1.2G? performance? multi-display? Tempted to go with the nominal cost increase just to have more. (in case)
Next, what is the benefit of 2 GPUs? performance? multi-display? Will get one now, but want the mobo and card to handle this possible future upgrade. ...and is the 570 a good candidate from the multiple GPU perspective? Also, mobo slots? Case real estate?
Finally, at what point do I need to start worrying about temperature? Do you cool the GPUs - or just get a case that moves a lot of air? (who makes "quiet" high air-flow cases?!)

Also, what does SLI do for me? Or is that a non-concern? I gues that's a "performance/multi-display" question again.

I apologize if this is basic - it's been about 2 decades since I played "techie" and I want to have a little fun! (There's no good TV anymore - lol)

Thanks in advance!!

I would only go 2.5G version if you plan on SLIing them. With just one card you will run into processor cap before you hit the ram cap.

2 GPUs give you more processing performance simply (not quite doubling it though)...it does not give you more total VRAM. Meaning if you have two card with 1gb each your "total" VRAM does not equal 2 gb. Meaning you can only fill up 1gb of VRAM before you start seeing problems despite having two cards. Which is what my recommendation above is about.

If you have a good case and a mobo that separates the two cards then heat is not an issue.

570 is a good candidate yes. 560 (2gb version) is also a great candidate too and will run anything out today on everything MAX. It also saves you a few hundred which just means you can upgrade your card sooner in the future.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 4:37:45 PM

Hey there! I've got HAF 912 plus case and it's been really nice so far. It has a lot of space in it, two build it vents, many dust filters and a beautiful led in the front :) . I wouldn't call it noisy, when I installed an aftermarket cooler for my 2500k, the noise increased noticeably.

GTX 570 Seems like a decent choice.

If you are not planning to go multi monitors any time in the future, the 1.2 GB version would suffice, since it will never use even that much at 1080p.

The benefit of two GPUs is speed and performance. If you wanna run multiple monitors for gaming at high graphic settings, you will have to get two graphics card. SLI is just a fancy name for two graphics cards working together toe-to-toe.

GTX 570 is a very solid candidate for dual graphcis cards solution, it beats a single GTX 590.

Normally, you need to start worrying about the temperature either if you got:
1. Bad airflow due to shitty case or bad wiring job;
2. Overclocking HARD.

Afaik, MSI and EVGA have the best solutions for GTX 570 cooling.

One last note: Having two graphics cards with 1.2 GB VRAM each DOES NOT make you have 2.4 GB, since when the cards are working together, they have to duplicate the content on each of the card.

Hope I helped :) 
Score
Related resources
December 1, 2011 8:14:11 PM

Multi-display is a definite - sooner than later (I already have one of those 27" 1ms Samsungs P2700FH? and it's too small :o ) )

So, I'm thinking from your input that I want a MB that will hold 2 GTX 570's with 2560MB. I'll get one card very soon - the second a little later. (2 or 3 monitors come first) Hmmmm I know I want the monitors to be the same vintage - I wonder if the same theory holds for GPUs? -thinking out loud - sorry...

Proposal:
Own: HX750 PSU, 16GB Vengeance Blue (4x4 1600), WD7502AAEX HDD
ToBuy: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme -Z - LGA 1155 - Z68, HAF Case TBD (like the dust filters!), DVD (BluRay?) RW, DVD (BluRay?) RO, SSD TBD (OS), oh - i7-2600k...

Good? (I'd think that MB would handle (space) the 2 570s...)

Yes - this is helping! (I love this site)
Score

Best solution

a c 291 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 9:22:05 AM

Hey, if you're gonna run multiple, you are right getting the 2560 MB model. If you wish to run GPUs in SLI, they MUST MATCH. Their memory, frequency, etc, so you're just better off buying the exact same as the first card. For the monitors, you want every of them to be of same resolution, or else you won't be able to game on both of them at the same time.

Asus Maximum IV Extreme is a really nice mother, if it's not too expensive for you. For the bluray drive, think about it. Personally, I don't see myself using one of those in the next 5 years.
SSDs.. Get a SATA3 SSD, something like Crucial M4, OCZ Vertex 3 or Corsair Force GT. Those are really fast.
i7-2600k is cool, but since you are buying a 'k' version of it, do you have an aftermarket cooler for overclocking? You can easily up it to 4.4-4.7 GHz with a decent cooler.
December 2, 2011 3:03:08 PM

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the answers - you're tracking with what I'm trying to do. :D 
Score
December 2, 2011 3:03:26 PM

Best answer selected by ellmo.
Score
!