Incorrect info so need help on CPU or Motherboard

So I've been building PCs for years now, but went out on a limb and got some info from the forums here without doing a thorough background check(my own mistake), And i purchased what someone suggested here in a previous thread

So what I am having compatibility issues with is these two items...

i5 2500k- 221$

Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3-

both were fine since i assumed others did the research ( my own fault for assuming)

anyways, they dont fit, the board is an i7 board only for socket 2011 and the i5 2500k doesnt fit, so question is, should i replace the board or the processor? and how good is newegg on returns/exchanges?
7 answers Last reply
More about incorrect info motherboard
  1. nevermind, figured out, didnt realize the cpu for the board is almost a grand...
  2. wrong link for the name of the mb

a 2500k would fit perfectly in a mb with a Z68 chipset
  3. They told you a 2011 board and a 1155 cpu (are they even interchangable?) So you tried to put the the processor in and it did not fit? I'm unsure why some one would suggest a cpu that does not fit the motherboard and vice versa >_<
  4. Those are the chipset boards for the 1155 cpu could of been a same name 2 different sockets which is easy to do if you do not look closely at the chipsets
  5. Looks like the poster in the original thread linked to this ASRock X79 Extreme3 when they meant to link to this ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3. The names are very similar.

-Wolf sends
  6. Someone recommended the Asrock Exteme 3 Gen 3. Then another guy did too, but he put in a link to a X79 motherboard by accident. He meant to put in the Z68 link.

You should just go with this board, it's $100 cheaper too. Unless the other one has some other feature you needed that this one doesn't. I didn't read through the entire other post but this one has 8x/8x xfire/sli, Japanese gold caps, 8+4vrm, 8ch autio and pci-e 3.0 ready.

Everyone makes mistakes I guess. Still you have to put some of the blame on yourself for not paying attention.

Anyone knows a s1155 cpu needs a s1155 motherboard. It's not rocket science. You got 30 days to return it to Newegg for refund.
  7. Replace the motherboard. I used the following with my i5-2500k.

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Motherboards Systems Product