Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ivy Bridge Runs Hot?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 15, 2012 7:04:48 AM

I am in the final stages of selecting hardware for my new PC. I have decided to go with an Ivy Bridge processor to complement the PCI-e 3.0 mobo and GPU. I have heard they run hot due to Intel using thermal paste in the CPU instead of solder. I will not be overclocking, but mainly playing games maxed out. Should the CPU stay cool and stable if I keep it at stock settings? Or do they just generally run hot compared to other Intel CPUs for example?

More about : ivy bridge runs hot

May 15, 2012 7:32:51 AM

Not a problem if you don't overclock. It really only starts to heat up when you try to reach 4.5Ghz and pushing more then the stock voltage through. Otherwise it run just as cool.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2012 7:38:28 AM

It'll be fine at stock, but yes, it will run much hotter than a Sandy Bridge. If you are worried about the heat, just grab an inexpensive cooler like the 212 EVO and you'll have peace of mind.
m
l
Related resources
a c 79 à CPUs
May 15, 2012 7:52:29 AM

mine peaks at 63 C on air with a reasonable OC (4.3) idles at 33 but its not dumping the amount of heat into the case that would have previously been the case with a 63C chip. Went from a Q9550 to 3570K, very impressed.
m
l
May 15, 2012 7:54:37 AM

zhihao50 said:
Not a problem if you don't overclock. It really only starts to heat up when you try to reach 4.5Ghz and pushing more then the stock voltage through. Otherwise it run just as cool.

Exellent! That is great to hear. There is no way I will ever get the CPU to 4.5Ghz so I guess I should be safe there.

gary1 said:
It'll be fine at stock, but yes, it will run much hotter than a Sandy Bridge. If you are worried about the heat, just grab an inexpensive cooler like the 212 EVO and you'll have peace of mind.

That cooler seems quite good and is the one I had in mind to get. Good to hear it will run fine at stock.
m
l
May 15, 2012 7:57:55 AM

13thmonkey said:
mine peaks at 63 C on air with a reasonable OC (4.3) idles at 33 but its not dumping the amount of heat into the case that would have previously been the case with a 63C chip. Went from a Q9550 to 3570K, very impressed.

Wow that is less than I thought and especially on air which is what I will be using. Perhaps the whole temperature thing has been blown out of proportion, yes they appear to still be hotter but from what I heard they don't skyrocket until higher OCs. Nice to hear even a OC on air runs fine.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
May 15, 2012 8:01:45 AM

Simo606 said:
Wow that is less than I thought and especially on air which is what I will be using. Perhaps the whole temperature thing has been blown out of proportion, yes they appear to still be hotter but from what I heard they don't skyrocket until higher OCs. Nice to hear even a OC on air runs fine.

thats gaming temps, stress testing temps were 70C (that is my personal limit). I'm on a Xigmtek Achillies 1283C, so nothing fancy, its direct touch heat pipes which I think makes a difference here, buts that only gut feel.
m
l
May 15, 2012 8:19:03 AM

13thmonkey said:
thats gaming temps, stress testing temps were 70C (that is my personal limit). I'm on a Xigmtek Achillies 1283C, so nothing fancy, its direct touch heat pipes which I think makes a difference here, buts that only gut feel.

I'm no guru on CPU temps but from what I've been hearing, your temps are much lower than what people are making it out to be. Either it's the hype that they are really hot or your CPU cooler is damn good. Either way I think I will still get an Ivy Bridge. At stock it sounds like it should be fine and if I do decide to OC a little I know it isn't going to turn into a furnace. Thanks.
m
l

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
May 15, 2012 8:28:21 AM

Simo606 said:
I'm no guru on CPU temps but from what I've been hearing, your temps are much lower than what people are making it out to be. Either it's the hype that they are really hot or your CPU cooler is damn good. Either way I think I will still get an Ivy Bridge. At stock it sounds like it should be fine and if I do decide to OC a little I know it isn't going to turn into a furnace. Thanks.

I'm active on another forum, and there are higher temp being reported, typically at 4.4 or higher. I think i've gotten a little lucky as i'm running at 1.1V, but once that starts to rise above 1.2V then the heat goes up. But 4.2 from my understanding does not require extra voltage. So its all manageable IMO.
May 15, 2012 8:49:30 AM

Best answer selected by Simo606.
m
l
May 15, 2012 8:52:10 AM

13thmonkey said:
I'm active on another forum, and there are higher temp being reported, typically at 4.4 or higher. I think i've gotten a little lucky as i'm running at 1.1V, but once that starts to rise above 1.2V then the heat goes up. But 4.2 from my understanding does not require extra voltage. So its all manageable IMO.

That really made sense to me. I will make sure not to surpass that threshold or perhaps even test it on my own rig when I get it and see what the threshold is where the heat starts to rise exponentially.
m
l
!