[Properly Laidout Help Request] Animation/Graphics Station First Time

shaboom

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: 300-700 Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Animation and Graphic Design (Adobe CS, ToonBoom, possibly Blender3D)

Parts Not Required: Wacom Intuos Small, Keyboard (Dunno the make), Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: tigerdirect.ca, canadacomputers.ca, or any other sources you may be able to suggest... I'm new to this.

Parts Preferences: I need to have at least dual cores, video card would ideally support Direct3D or OpenGL... I'm not exactly sure how to check what cards would support this?

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe - Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the advantages to this are.

Monitor Resolution: 1400x1050+?

Additional Comments: I'd like something I could work sound editing off of as well as compositing video. I'm probably going to have to burn things to disk and transfer through flash keys. I've got to get this as low price as possible... unfortunately my current work station bit it after a month into going freelance, and not having the studio support (or funds) backing me is gonna make this tough. The beast doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to get the job done well.

The parts I'm looking at so far, which may, or may not meet these requirements are listed below. I'm kind of confused about how to read the tech specs on things though I've been reading up for a few days now while my computer's been in the shop and trying to figure it out. I'd appreciate your input/feedback.

Intel Core i3 - 2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor

Thermaltake CLP0556 39.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

ASRock P67 Extreme 4 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI GeForce GTS 450 2GB Video Card ***I have no idea if this fits the requirements I've laid out. Please could someone verify if it'd even work?***

Apex PC-389-C ATX Mid Tower Case

Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer

Any thoughts/suggestions or should I just stick to a pre-built?

shaboom

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
There was an electrical storm (while it was snowing, I was really confused) and it hasn't worked since then... the video card at least appears to be totally toasters, but the memory may still be ok, but I think it's outmoded. I'm going to take a look at it when I get it back from the guy who I gave it to to try and fix it up.

ebola28

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
case: Haf 912 - $65
CPU: i3 2120 - $130
mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $150
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 - $60
ODD: SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner - $18
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB - $36
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green - $112

This brings us to a total of $571 before graphics card.

The case has great air cooling. Since you cannot overclock the CPU, the stock cooler may work fine inside that case. The motherboard will let you expand as your income does, great feature set for the money. you can always double the memory in the future as some of your software will take advantage of it. As HDD prices drop, you may want to add a faster primary HDD than the WD green as well as an SSD, I prefer the Samsung 830.

For graphics....

The card angaddev linked will work well, the ATI FirePro V4900 - $165

Which brings the total to $736 before a 64 bit OS which adds on another $120 for a total of $856.