My first build ever, having some problems...

myxoma

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hey all, I'm in the process of putting together my first build...

Case: NZXT Phantom
Mobo: MSI P67A-G34
CPU: Intel i5 2500k quad core
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) patriot G2 DDR3

My power supply is a 550w from my previous computer so I know it works and I'm also using my pny nvidia 8800gt from my old computer as well until I have the money for a new video card.

I installed the cpu, mobo, memory, video card, and HDD today and tried to boot it up... The cpu fan fired up along with a horrible beep sound and a blue LED on the mobo lighting up for a second... Then the fan powered down and everything stopped. About 2 or 3 seconds later it did the same thing again... and then again and again never ending. I was getting no signal on my monitor either... didn't seem to boot at all. Then I tried unhooking my video card to see if it was a power problem and hit the on switch again.. This time the LED just flickered on once and there was no sound or fan activity at all.

Is this a power issue or something with my RAM? Or is it something else entirely? I checked msi's support page and it said repeated beeps meant an issue with ram and repeated short beeps meant an issue with power... Problem is, I don't know what they consider short and regular and on top of that it doesn't SEEM to be a power issue.

Solution
Sounds like a bad mobo, though faulty RAM might still be in play. Have you tried booting with the minimum amount of RAM required and also trying different combinations of RAM/slots. Also, for the sake of being thorough, what brand is the 700w PSU?

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Its generally best to get the motherboard processor and ram picked up by tyour os before installing videocards. I'd try taking out the video card and using the on board from my motherboard to get the os to recognize your system. And if your power supply is old it could be that your power supply has gotten weakened or not properly rated. I'd try it without the card installed and see how it goes first.

myxoma

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Tried that already and all I was getting was a flicker from the led on the mobo. Bought a new power supply today (700w) and now I'm not getting any beeping... all the fans are starting up for a second then powering down and doing that over and over again. Still getting nothing on my monitor.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
This may sound silly, and I'll apologize now, however, did you look in your motherboard manual? I know mine had a section that told you what a certain series of beeps/lights meant (2 beeps, 3 beeps, continuous beeps, etc) upon initial start up. This may help you troubleshoot if you haven't looked into it yet or missed the section.

myxoma

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

I'm actually not getting beeps anymore. I connected my new power supply and all four sticks of ram and now the four blue led lights on the mobo are ALL lighting up and the fans spin really fast for about five seconds than everything just stops... pauses for about two seconds and then it does the same thing again and again and again.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Unfortunately I'm not incredibly experienced in this area so I can't offer much help beyond my previous suggestion. Sorry :(

I'll add this post just so it has a slightly higher count, maybe it will draw a bit more attention.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Sounds like a bad mobo, though faulty RAM might still be in play. Have you tried booting with the minimum amount of RAM required and also trying different combinations of RAM/slots. Also, for the sake of being thorough, what brand is the 700w PSU?

Solution

myxoma

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

When I tried with one stick of ram only one led was lighting up. With all four sticks, all four of the lights were lighting up. Tried multiple different combinations but only all four ram inserted has been giving me the present result. My power supply is a corsair.

I'm really hoping it's not the mobo because installing the cpu is such a nerve wracking experience. -_- Good thing I've got the receipt, I suppose.

myxoma

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Just removed my cpu to take a look at things. Have some bent prongs on the cpu socket. Did a little research found out this isn't an uncommon thing with msi boards. Lesson learned. Guess I'll be returning this POS. Thanks for all the input and help, guys!

TRENDING THREADS