Sign in with
Your question

New Build

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2012 9:14:06 AM

Hey, decided I'm going to build a computer with some money I've saved rather than buy a premade model and was just wondering if this system would work virtually flawlessly. I plan on doing a bit of light gaming, a bit of music production and as I'm in the middle of an engineering degree , probably some engineering work.

Anyways specs are as follows:

Motherboard - ASROCK Z68 EXTREME4 Gen 3

CPU - Intel Core i7 - 2600K

GPU - Radeon 6950 2GB

HDD - Seagate 500GB SATA III (plan on getting a SSD soon but this will do fine for now)

RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 Mhz

PSU - Corsair HX-650

Optical Drive - Just a typical $30 one

Case - NZXT Guardian

Cooling - Corsair H60 Liquid cooling (in case I want to overclock, I'll be able to)

Decent system or...?

More about : build

a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 9:22:28 AM

It is a decent rig, tough you do not need 16GB ram, so get just 8GB as it will be more than enough for your needs.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 9:23:01 AM

Yes its a verry good build.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 9:26:36 AM

Looks a solid build. Although id recommend a 500w PSU if your only planning to use one 6950, or grab a 750w if your planning on adding a second card in Crossfire.

Same applies to the motherboard, no need to spend that much unless your planning on running two GPU's.

Don't recommend the HyperX memory because its runs at 1.65v for 1600MHz which isn't supported by SandyBridge. Look for 1.5v 1600MHz RAM (Corsair/G.Skill are popular).

Your don't need to H60 for over-clocking. A simple, cheaper air cooler can be just as effective - namely the Hyper 212+/EVO.

i7-2600k - Hyper-threading - Do you need it? Is it actually going to help in the applications you use? If not, just get the i5-2500k, it'll do the same job.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 9:48:19 AM

Also consider MSI Z68A-GD65 Gen3 and Asus P8Z68-V (or Pro) Gen3 as the motherboard. They generally have better warranties and have has somewhat less issues than Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3 with quality control issues. But it's not a bad board when it works.

Otherwise looks solid.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 10:23:41 AM

Ditch the water cooler. The KISS principle alone should suffice to make you reconsider, but think about it. THERE'S WATER IN IT! Also, the heat has to move to the air at some point---why not right then and there?

You can get a better air cooler for the same or less money. I look at Frosty Tech for their charts.
January 31, 2012 1:41:56 PM

i5-2500K would be better, unless there's a specific need for hyper-threading in your life.

8GB of RAM unless you have an application that'll need 16GB.

Closed-loop water coolers are perfectly OK...a large air-cooler can put excessive strain on your mobo and as you're a student, and will presumably move the PC around. The risk of jolting may be greater than the risk of leakage for you. Also, air-coolers will be OK for over-clocking but the chip will be kept cooler under water.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 1:53:06 PM

Look at the Frosty Tech test numbers and judge for yourself. The chip will not be kept cooler "under water". Well, if it was actually underwater, that would be cooler, if it was deep enough. Full-blown liquid cooling systems are better than any air system I've ever heard of, but that's not what we have here.
February 1, 2012 7:17:31 PM

Hey guys thanks so much for responding.

I'm now convinced on the i5, based on what you guys have said and tests I've seen, the jump to i7 is way too much money for a chip that's very similar in performance and with features I probably wouldn't take much advantage of i.e Hyper-threading

I've considered my options in the cooling department as well. After reading a myriad of people telling of leaking Corsair radiators etc, as well as what you guys have said I think it's better if I look into a decent heat sink/fan assembly.
As for the power supply, I think I'll grab a 750w because Crossfire may be in my future.

8GB RAM also sounds like the way to go and I'll also have a look at those motherboards "Rvilkman" suggested. Makes sense if I'm building my own PC I'll want decent customer service should anything go wrong.

Thanks again guys and if you have anything else to add I'm all ears.
!