Sign in with
Your question

Question about Laptops with two graphic cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2011 6:43:45 PM

This might be a bit lengthy, so please bare with me, as I am not at all a techy, and I'm probably posting this in the wrong forum, or website from that matter, but advice and opinions from someone who actually has insight on the matter rather than kids with cash from a prior site appeals more.

My girlfriend is looking into playing this upcoming MMORPG, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. She has this laptop with her and she says she has all the right specs, but I was wondering if it were true, otherwise I'd buy her a new laptop with the game itself.

So these are the specs Bioware asks:

Spoiler
Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:
Windows XP or later

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

And I think, if I'm doing this right, these are her laptops specs:

Spoiler
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name UNKNOWN
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.18, 7/8/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name UNKNOWN
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.95 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.94 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.5 GB
Page File Space 7.95 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Now here is what I don't get. According to device manager, she has two graphic cards. One is called Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics, the other is called Radeon (TM) HD Graphics. According to 30 minutes of google search, these cards switch when the computer demands higher graphics. If so, are these specs and graphics cards compatible for the game? If the so, how do I know the graphic cards switch so she has optimal performance?

I know I might be asking for a lot, and possibly at the wrong place, but if anyone has any knowledge regarding this kind of thing, I'd greatly appreciate some insight.
December 1, 2011 8:00:16 PM

Her laptop should do just fine with the game. The graphics card should switch automatically, but I'm pretty sure you can manually switch them not exactly sure how though. I have a friend who owns a laptop with two graphics card and he says that it switches when it needs to, but when your laptop battery gets low you can manually switch it to the lower consuming card.
m
l
December 1, 2011 8:17:42 PM

That's a relief. Thank you very much.
m
l
!