Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5-2400 vs I5-2500K?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i5
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 15, 2012 2:56:18 PM

Hi guys im trying to buy a new processor, motherboard and GPU but my budget is £560 and £329.99 of that is going towards a GTX 670 so basicaly ive got £230 to buy my CPU and motherboard so here is my question, is it worth me buying a intel i5-2400 over a i5-2500k if i cant buy a motherboard compatible to overclock it? The i5-2400 is £144 the i5-2500k is £168.16 and the motherboard i will be buying is £54.99. Im only asking becouse all forums, reviews and prettymuch everything on youtube says the i5-2500k is a absolute beast and i cant find any comparisons between the 2 Cpu's so will you please help me.

More about : 2400 2500k

a c 190 à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 3:10:38 PM

If you remove the ability to overclock from the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K that leaves the 100MHz clock speed increase and the Intel HD 3000 graphics both of which I would say aren't deal makers. The only other question is can you see yourself buying in the next year a motherboard that is capable of overclocking the Intel Core i5-2500K if not then go with the Intel Core i5-2400.


Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
May 15, 2012 3:24:00 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
If you remove the ability to overclock from the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K that leaves the 100MHz clock speed increase and the Intel HD 3000 graphics both of which I would say aren't deal makers. The only other question is can you see yourself buying in the next year a motherboard that is capable of overclocking the Intel Core i5-2500K if not then go with the Intel Core i5-2400.


Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Yes that was my plan to buy something i could afford that is compatable right now and then when i could afford it once ive got my new house id buy the motherboard to OC the i5-2500k in the future when its needed. If i did buy the i5-2400 would i have any performance or gaming issues? my last CPU was a AMD FX-6100 and awful i REALLY dont want something asbad as that again.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2012 6:04:12 PM

Unlocked multipliers so you aren't tied to the NB clocks, so if the settings are there you're good to go.

The 2400 is a sufficient CPU (definitely faster than the FX CPUs in games), however you'll get a much longer life out of the crazy headroom the 2500k has.
May 15, 2012 6:21:38 PM

Raidur said:
Unlocked multipliers so you aren't tied to the NB clocks, so if the settings are there you're good to go.

The 2400 is a sufficient CPU (definitely faster than the FX CPUs in games), however you'll get a much longer life out of the crazy headroom the 2500k has.

Thank you :)  do you think it would last me 2-3 years? btw in the link above do you think the motherboard in that will run the i5-2500k and let me OC it?
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 1:24:21 AM

An overclocked i5-2500k is the best you can get for gaming at this time. (yes there's the massive 6 core Sandy Bridges and the 2600k with hyperthreading, but those don't really show much more than measurable benefit due to games really only benefiting significantly from <=4 threads.

If this CPU doesn't last you 2-3 years, no CPU will. You'll be fine. :)  Still using my Q9550. Overclocked to 4ghz and it still doesn't significantly bottleneck any single gpu out there. (and it was released in 2008 =P) Nor does it feel the hurt from any CPU-heavy games. Blame consoles for the slowed graphical innovation increase in games. :) 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Pro3

"ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (AXTU) is an all-in-one software to fine-tune different features in an user-friendly interface, which includes Hardware Monitor, Fan Control, Overclocking, OC DNA and IES. In Hardware Monitor, it shows the major readings of your system. In Fan Control, it shows the fan speed and temperature for you to adjust. In Overclocking, you are allowed to adjust the CPU frequency, ratio and some voltages for optimal system performance. In OC DNA, you can save your OC settings as a profile and share with your friends. Your friends then can load the OC profile to their own system to get the same OC settings. In IES (Intelligent Energy Saver), the voltage regulator can reduce the number of output phases to improve efficiency when the CPU cores are idle without sacrificing computing performance."


http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=P67%20Pro3
May 16, 2012 1:42:08 AM

Raidur said:
An overclocked i5-2500k is the best you can get for gaming at this time. (yes there's the massive 6 core Sandy Bridges and the 2600k with hyperthreading, but those don't really show much more than measurable benefit due to games really only benefiting significantly from <=4 threads.

If this CPU doesn't last you 2-3 years, no CPU will. You'll be fine. :)  Still using my Q9550. Overclocked to 4ghz and it still doesn't significantly bottleneck any single gpu out there. (and it was released in 2008 =P) Nor does it feel the hurt from any CPU-heavy games. Blame consoles for the slowed graphical innovation increase in games. :) 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Pro3

"ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (AXTU) is an all-in-one software to fine-tune different features in an user-friendly interface, which includes Hardware Monitor, Fan Control, Overclocking, OC DNA and IES. In Hardware Monitor, it shows the major readings of your system. In Fan Control, it shows the fan speed and temperature for you to adjust. In Overclocking, you are allowed to adjust the CPU frequency, ratio and some voltages for optimal system performance. In OC DNA, you can save your OC settings as a profile and share with your friends. Your friends then can load the OC profile to their own system to get the same OC settings. In IES (Intelligent Energy Saver), the voltage regulator can reduce the number of output phases to improve efficiency when the CPU cores are idle without sacrificing computing performance."


http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=P67%20Pro3

Is that motherboard in the link your new recommendation? lol
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 2:40:12 AM

No, that's the P67 Pro3. It's the manufacture's website for the mobo you posted.

:) 
May 16, 2012 2:57:59 AM

Raidur said:
No, that's the P67 Pro3. It's the manufacture's website for the mobo you posted.

:) 

Ahh ok so it's why not to buy it lol, thanks again man ur a star :) 
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 3:05:56 AM

You bet man.

I usually prefer to stick with Gigabyte/Asus, however ASRock is one of my favorite of the "lessers".
!