Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire 5850 1gb very slow

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2011 7:52:42 PM

I am having a problem I hope some of you can help me with. I recently crossfired my 5850 with another and it almost seems like nothing happened and some games are running even slower (Skyrim). I was wondering if it was my specs so I'll list them.

My Specs are

Motherboard: Asus M4A78T-E 790GX
Ram: 5gb DDR3
CPU: Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 ghz to 4.0 ghz
GPU: 2x Raedon HD 5850's both XFX Black Edition

If it isn't my specs what is it? I turned off ULPS in regedit and that helped a little bit but only by 10 frames.

P.S. I also used only 1 crossfire bridge since everyone else told me 2 was useless if that helps.
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 8:05:11 PM

The 1 crossfire connection shouldn't hurt your performance.

If Skyrim is what you're basing the performance issues on, don't fret- it's all f'ed up still. Ok fret, but know you're not alone. There are a number of workarounds available to address the issues until a viable update comes out from AMD. I tried several and found that the .dll fix (you download a .dll file and put it in the folder where your .exe file for skyrim is) resolved nearly all of my issues. There are still problems and I have been quite disappointed by the situation, but it's better than working off of the current amd drivers. I saw some AMD info that a fix should be hitting this week but I've yet to see it on their site, beta or otherwise.

Couple things to check:

1) Make sure card is firmly seated in the slot. Make sure crossfire is enabled in Catalyst Control Center.

2) Download MSI Afterburner (it runs in background and can measure things like GPU1 and GPU 2 usage, fan speed, and frame rates). Run some games and check that both cards are functioning. Can also run the same games with crossfire off to see the difference.

m
l
December 1, 2011 8:15:47 PM

Yep get MSI Afterburner, it is really nice to see your GPU utilization. I would totally recommend getting RadeonPro, it allows you to do many tweaks, personally I love triple buffering vsync which RadeonPro can force. RadeonPro also allows you to force different crossfire profiles for games which may help (makes a huge difference for Borderlands). For Skyrim make sure you have catalyst 11.11b performance driver, it sorta works ok with that.

I bought a 5850 at release, and recently bought one for CF myself. They worked great on the AM3 board I was using, but when I upgraded to Z68 they did not. They performed fine, but Windows would suddenly only recognize one card, and when I switched places of the cards Windows seemed satisfied. My games then started to crash every couple of hours though so I gave up. I'm 99% sure this is because the cards were very different revisions.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 8:21:31 PM

seems like an odd ram configuration, and for that matter I doubt its operating in dual channel mode if your running 5 gigs

also what make and model psu do you have?
m
l
December 1, 2011 9:09:05 PM

Ok I will try MSI afterburner but while I was away from the forum for some more research I downloaded GPU-Z and see if there was a problem with one of the cards. They were both Identical but the secondary card says Crossfire Disabled unlike the primary. Is that normal or should they both say crossfire enabled? If so how do I fix that?
m
l
December 1, 2011 9:40:56 PM

beltzy said:
The 1 crossfire connection shouldn't hurt your performance.

If Skyrim is what you're basing the performance issues on, don't fret- it's all f'ed up still. Ok fret, but know you're not alone. There are a number of workarounds available to address the issues until a viable update comes out from AMD. I tried several and found that the .dll fix (you download a .dll file and put it in the folder where your .exe file for skyrim is) resolved nearly all of my issues. There are still problems and I have been quite disappointed by the situation, but it's better than working off of the current amd drivers. I saw some AMD info that a fix should be hitting this week but I've yet to see it on their site, beta or otherwise.

Couple things to check:

1) Make sure card is firmly seated in the slot. Make sure crossfire is enabled in Catalyst Control Center.

2) Download MSI Afterburner (it runs in background and can measure things like GPU1 and GPU 2 usage, fan speed, and frame rates). Run some games and check that both cards are functioning. Can also run the same games with crossfire off to see the difference.

Can you link me to this dll fix? Also is what I said above this reply about GPU-Z a problem or is that normal?
m
l
!