venomizer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Just got myself an HIS 6950 2GB (not the ICE-Q version). Plugged in but when I boot I get absolutely no signal at all from the card.

Running on a P5K-E (oldish I know, but should still be fine), Corsair HX620W (yes both 6-pins are plugged in).

I've tried in both PCI-E slots on the MB, have tried both DVI and HDMI outputs on the card, nothing. My old 4870 still works perfectly fine in there.

Upon boot, the fan starts loud for a split second, then drops down to normal (just as my old 4870 does).

As far as I can tell, this card doesn't have any BIOS switches so can't try that. I've also reset the BIOS completely on the MB and flashed to the latest version, but that didn't help either.

I got the card replaced by the supplier with an identical model, same problem.

Genuinely can't work out what could be the problem. A quick google shows plenty of others with my MB/GPU combo with seemingly no issues.

Any ideas?
Cheers

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
what else you got running... just to rule out power supply issues...
# of fans?
# of HDD?
# of ODD?
processor model #
# of memory modules installed and type (ddr2,ddr3,?)
anything hooked up to the power supply?

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
just a randomness from neweggs power supply calculator....

core 2 quad
high end mobo
2 sticks ddr2
amd 6950
3 x 7200rpm hdds
1 x dvd-r/w

recommended = 668 watts

not that it can't run with less, but just something to look at... try unplugging some unnessentials temporarily and seeing if the video card works... it may not be able to get enough power

this doesn't take into account fans which probably take 2-5 watts each depending on the fans

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
please don't take offense - but did you completely uninstall the 4870 drivers? Your post doesn't mention anything about updating drivers. If you didn't that is most likely the problem.

venomizer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
CPU is a C2D E8400

3 x 10cm fans
2 x HDD
1 x DVD Drive
4 x 2GB OCZ RAM (DDR2)

Nothing else other than that is hooked up. In any case, I've tried unplugging the HDD's and DVD drive and I still get no signal.

Don't see how drivers can have anything to do with it as the monitor receives no signal at all.

venomizer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Okay, I've tried this in another computer (albeit with the same PSU from mine - the other one was missing...), exactly the same problem. Of course, this means my PSU could still be the culprit, but it seems highly highly unlikely. A corsair HX620W should be able to handle this card EASILY (especially once I've unplugged absolutely everything else from the PSU - HDD's, optical drives etc.)

So this leads me to 3 possible conclusions:

1 - Both cards he has sent me are dead
2 - My PSU can't power the card
3 - For whatever reason, this card won't work in PCI-e v1 MB's (the other PC I tried is also PCI-e 1)

I'm waiting for a mate to come home so I can try in his PCI-e v2 board.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I once had an issue with a 4890, but that WAS a power-supply problem.

I had just purchased an MSI 6950 TWIN-FROZRIIMLEETKOOLKIDKEKE 2GB (not the TWINFROZRIIIMKOOLERTHN-U);
I have tried on multiple combinations, and even my decent power-supply has no effect (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049); All system-combo's I've tried will power up, but no video accross any of the outputs...

Bad card? Possibly. It'd be disappointing if that's the case.
** Additionally - Can the TWinFroZR-II cards (vs III) be "unlocked"?

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Venomizer - I've got a suggestion to try.... but it will require using a motherboard with two PCIE-16 slots. This will allow you to "see" the card to determine if it is in fact, bad.

I had set up my 6950 as a slave behind my GTS450. The system started up just fine and allowed drivers and the CCC to be installed (which, I haven't had much success with for any card that's not detected correctly). I was also able to then flash the card to a 6970, however, GPU-Z does NOT show the shader-count on the card (even prior-to flashing with the 6950 firmware). And of course, if I configure the 6950 to be the primary GFX, the system may either fail to boot, or still just does not display output.. so I have more work to do.