Is the Core i7-2600K/Z68/8GB/1TB/THOR V2 SuperCombo for Gaming?

amrcnfirestorm

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Most of the things are ok... you aren't really saving much though because the motherboard is priced relatively high.
Also, there's no dedicated GPU. You might be able to play TF2, but probably not maxed with wonderful framerates.

If you get it, buy a cheap gpu like a GTX 460 off of ebay and you have your gaming machine.
Btw, the processor is great for stuff like bandicam :)

The Intel® Core™ i7-2600K is an outstanding processor but the thing that really sets a gaming computer apart from a normal computer is the video card. While the Intel HD 3000 Graphics on that chip were our best IGP graphics up to that point they are still not the best answer in a gaming system for graphics.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

For TF2 and Portal I would say to enjoy both on maximum a HD6770 would be the minimum. I play and own every VALVe game so I would get the best GPU for your budget.

The only thing I don't like about the DIY bundle is the case. Not a fan of white. So 1995.

But the side panel has the bulge so the side fans wont hit the CPU fan which is nice but the rear sid panel does not have it like the Corsair 500R which helps with cable management a lot.

If anything you could probably do a build with similar components and a GPU for a bit more than that bundle. Cut the 2600K for a 2500K (better for gaming) and save $100 bucks.