Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard controlling my gpu clock speed?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2011 9:14:58 PM

Hey everyone, first of all here are my computer specs:

Windows vista 64 bit
AMD athlon 64 x2 6000+
DDR2 4gb
Gtx 560 2gb
A15g v1.0 motherboard

I just upgraded my graphics card from 9800gt to the Gtx 560. Previously on my 9800gt when I would overclock it, if I increased the GPU clock more than 20 mHz the performance would mysteriously drop significantly. Upon closer looking, I discovered that when I'd increase the clock it seemed that my motherboard acted in what appears to be a safety precaution and would actually cut my GPU clock , memory clock, and shader clock mHz's in half. The only way I could find to remedy this is to reset my GPU's clocks back to default and to reset my computer.

Now that I have my Gtx 560. All seemed OK at first as long as I didn't make any attempts to overclock. But I found that once I hit a scene in any of my games where its demanding on my GPU and my FPS drops below 20, my motherboard seems to do the same mysterious under-clocking as when I overclocked my 9800gt and it cuts all my clocks mHz on my GPU in half, and just like before the clocks refuse to go back to their default amounts until I reset my computer once again.

Well, I'm not even sure if it's actually my motherboard causing this but its just my theory. What do you guys think is going on here? Is there anyway I can over-ride this mysterious under-clocking?

a c 1318 U Graphics card
a c 1039 V Motherboard
December 1, 2011 9:28:32 PM

What are your GPU temps might be thermal throttling on the card. With that CPU you should be overclocking it so it can keep up with that much more powerful GPU!
December 1, 2011 9:34:57 PM

Currently doing nothing my GPU is running at 33 degrees Celsius. When this "under-clocking" happens It never actually exceeds 60 degrees Celsius but I will have to double check this.

Also, (which also leads me to thinking its a motherboard problem) my BIOS is complete garbage and I can only control my CPU frequency and voltage in increments of .25. And If I increase the frequency by more than 5 my computer will boot up in safe mode and refuse to go into regular boot-up until I change my CPU frequency back to its default.
Related resources
a c 1318 U Graphics card
a c 1039 V Motherboard
December 1, 2011 9:41:20 PM

eric_26 said:
Currently doing nothing my GPU is running at 33 degrees Celsius. When this "under-clocking" happens It never actually exceeds 60 degrees Celsius but I will have to double check this.

Also, (which also leads me to thinking its a motherboard problem) my BIOS is complete garbage and I can only control my CPU frequency and voltage in increments of .25. And If I increase the frequency by more than 5 my computer will boot up in safe mode and refuse to go into regular boot-up until I change my CPU frequency back to its default.

Yep! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 1, 2011 9:48:04 PM

Do you think its my motherboard causing my GPU under-clocking then? And do you think there's anyway to over-ride it?
a c 1318 U Graphics card
a c 1039 V Motherboard
December 1, 2011 9:53:43 PM

I think you have very little options and most likely nothing you can do with that board. GTX560 at stock is getting bottlenecked anyway by your CPU so I would not worry to much about overclocking it.
December 1, 2011 9:59:17 PM

Well the under-clocking problem happens on my GTX560 even when its not overclocked its simply happening when the game becomes demanding.

Sorry for slamming you with so many questions but do you think upgrading my motherboard would fix my issues? Should I get a new CPU as well?

Also, I really appreciate you answering all these questions especially so quickly.
December 1, 2011 10:09:46 PM

OK great thanks again for all your help.
December 5, 2011 6:01:27 PM

I really don't think its a motherboard issue. But i could be wrong

I'm actually having the same problem with my video card. Im running a HD Radeon 2GB Sapphire 6950 and Asus P8-Z68 V Pro Mobo. Currently i have my VDCC set to 1.125 and Core/memory clock at 850/1325 (Stock is 800/1250). It will run at this speed for a while and my video card never hits 60. max is usually around 55 when playing BF3/Skyrim at Max graphics. Then all of a sudden it will randomly jump to 725/1250 and stay like that until i change it again using TRIXX. anyone know why this would happen?
February 1, 2012 9:39:14 PM

XFSpritz said:
I really don't think its a motherboard issue. But i could be wrong

I'm actually having the same problem with my video card. Im running a HD Radeon 2GB Sapphire 6950 and Asus P8-Z68 V Pro Mobo. Currently i have my VDCC set to 1.125 and Core/memory clock at 850/1325 (Stock is 800/1250). It will run at this speed for a while and my video card never hits 60. max is usually around 55 when playing BF3/Skyrim at Max graphics. Then all of a sudden it will randomly jump to 725/1250 and stay like that until i change it again using TRIXX. anyone know why this would happen?

Exact same problem, except my motherboard is a Gigabyte P67 UD3-D3. Overclock to 880/1375 @ 1.125, and then I get randomly downclocked to 750/1250. Really frustrating.
!